Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After finishing my awesome 4-player solo campaign with Amiri, Sajan, Harsk, and Lem, I am thinking of doing a 6-player campaign with the remaining characters (7 to choose from). I originally was going to pick everyone but Val (everyone seems to use him plus he's a tank). However, after building everyone's decks, I'm a little worried.

Namely, I'm thinking that Seelah is the worst character in the game. She only has 4 cards in her hand, and at the start of the game, 1 is guaranteed to be armor (fav card type), which until I find magic armor that lets me recharge it when I reset my hand, is useless. If I give her one of the 2 Inflict spells, then Kyra becomes even more worrisome (unless I face lots and lots of undead). I'm just worried in general that Kyra works best in a 3-4 player game because in a 6-player game everyone has 5 turns meaning A)Healing might not be important at all (even with Seoni) and B)Someone who has to skip their free explore to use their power is iffy as again, 5 rounds is it.

Am I wrong in my thinking? Should I plug Val in for either Seelah or Kyra? My real worry with Val is that I ran into real problems at times with Amiri's 4 hand size and only 4 blessings total not being able to do extra explores which was bad enough in a 4-player game but is fatal in a 6-player. Seelah at least has 6 blessings while Val only has 3.

So, I've got Ezren, Seoni, Lini, and Merisiel locked in (though I'm open to putting Val in for one of them with the right argument) with Kyra, Seelah, and Val fighting for the last 2 spots. Opinions and thoughts are what I'm looking to get. Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian @BoardGameMonster
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pick six, build some decks and go for it. It will be an experience worth having!

Some characters have strengths and weaknesses but they all have some use.

Oh - and don't discount healing. You're really pressed for time so will be exploring as much as possible and cannot afford to have somebody out of action.

I don't want to tell you how I would play the characters - that discovery is part of the fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just one of those people that hate to spend the 2 hours it will take me to setup the game and shuffle everything then play the game and break it down if I'm not going to have a chance to win because of the party setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Roberts
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally would ditch one of the mages and substitute Valeros. Then pick Kyra and Seelah. You're saying that Seelah is useless, but she and Kyra have a lot of blessings, and those are great for getting extra explores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Poole
msg tools
Don't discount Seelah's scouting either. It's really fairly good in a 6 player game. Ezran's the guy I'd be iffy about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'll love Seelah's scouting towards the end of Burnt Offerings where you get nothing but monsters, but for Perils, it is a little iffy. Well, maybe not if I'm trying to hunt the villain towards the end. Hmmm...

As for Ezren, I really want to use him though at about the end of Perils I was thinking I might have been better off with him instead of Lem since I was kind of misusing him as a nasty spellcaster.

We'll see how this goes tomorrow after I get my sleeves and sleeve the daylights out of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coyote81 aka Token
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think that Kyra can actually hold her own as long as you go ahead and put 2 points into Strength asap. D6+4 +d6/8 (avg 11/12) while using a weapon is respectable, and I've had no problem in our two player game in killing stuff with Kyra. Get a mace in hand and watch her go to town. After finishing the campaign and now having an extra weapon in my deck and weapon proficiency. I feel like Kyra about good enough for anything the 2nd adventure pack can throw at her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stu Jones
United States
Clearfield
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyote81 wrote:
I think that Kyra can actually hold her own as long as you go ahead and put 2 points into Strength asap. D6+4 +d6/8 (avg 11/12) while using a weapon is respectable, and I've had no problem in our two player game in killing stuff with Kyra. Get a mace in hand and watch her go to town. After finishing the campaign and now having an extra weapon in my deck and weapon proficiency. I feel like Kyra about good enough for anything the 2nd adventure pack can throw at her.

Once I was able, I put her power feat into weapon proficiency and loaded her up with 2-handed weapons. She's a terror in her own right, now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smart

Kentucky
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first scenario actually went a little too easy though that comes with a caveat. Ezren rips the Academy apart on turn one as the only thing that can stop him is the lone Item, the lone Monster, and the Henchman/Villan as even the lone Ally odds are will let you explore again. The Detect Magic I started with took care of that. So, basically, I only had 7 locations for the game. I actually only fought the villain twice which was one fewer than I thought I would, but again, this was the 1st scenario. I doubt all of them will go that well. Also didn't get a hell of a lot of loot other than a couple of better spells. I got just as many good things out of the Items for winning the scenario.

Sadly, I peeked and the Deathbane Crossbow was 3rd down on the weapons draw deck, and I failed on BOTH chests.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Six player, you want as many extra explores as possible IMO. Ezren (who is part of our 6-character campaign) struggles to pull his weight as he has no blessings. Characters who "scout" in some way are useful - Harsk and Seelah. With a big party, characters are going to share locations more often, so characters who can aid checks (like Lem or Valerie) are more useful. And it's also good to go for a mix of abilities - a divine caster, an arcane caster, a ranged character, a melee character - so that loot can be shared around equitably. Another of our mistakes was to have too many dex-based characters and only Seelah with the divine trait.

We're also managing without a healer, but even though we only have 5 turns each, we could really have done with the heals in almost every game. It's not just that exploring two or three times a turn really depletes your decks quickly; if a heal spell "rescues" just two extra explore cards (all blessings, many allies and some items) from the discard pile then it was worth playing even if it "cost" you an explore, like Kyra's ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.