Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wednesday I got to demo Pastiche at my FLGS, The Gamer's Armory in Cary, NC.

First game was a 4-player game with Chris1, Chris2, Drew, and myself. I was the only person who had played before. I'm always interested at how the rules to Pastiche are accepted by new players. The rules are pretty straightforward and people generally don't have many questions, if any. But then they go to place their tile in the first couple rounds and I can just watch their brain churn as they try to figure out how to place the tile. It's fun! It seems to take new players 4-5 rounds before the color mixing starts to click. But I digress. Chris1, Chris2, and Drew each had to take some extra time early in the game to try to get a grasp on what to do. And I will admit that downtime in a 4-player game can be a little bit of an issue when the majority of players are new. With experienced players downtime is minimal as turns generally go pretty quickly. With 3 new players in this game, downtime was a little atypical. But all players caught on towards the middle of the game and gameplay sped up. Drew was the one to end the game by being the first to break 35 points and by being last in the turn order. Final scores were 44 (Drew) - 37 (Chris2) - 36 (me) - 34 (Chris1).

The second game was also a 4-player game, with Joe and Burt new to the game and with Chris2 (hereafter referred to as Chris) and myself holdovers from the first game. There was a noticeable speed-up with turns in this game because 2 of the players had experience. And once again the new players had to take a little extra time in the first 4 rounds or so to figure out how to place tiles to get the colors they wanted. Very normal for Pastiche, which just has a way of giving your brain a slight twist at first. Chris managed to complete a painting on the very first turn because there was a painting out in the gallery that was worth just a couple points and needed black and 1 other color and Chris managed to get enough colors to trade them for a black. Very clever, Chris! And perhaps not coincidentally, Chris also managed to be the first to exceed 35 points and end the game, but this time everyone had 1 last turn because Chris was first in the turn order. I managed to get 7 cards worth 19 points in my hand at the end, which saved me from an embarrassing defeat. Final scores were 51 (Chris) - 45 (me) - 37 (Burt) - 33 (Joe). Excellent game that came down to whoever was going to be able to get that last painting completed and trigger the end-game.

Pastiche is a clever game that is unlike anything else I've played. My inner-artist, still in there somewhere despite the best efforts of my middle-school art teacher, appreciates the opportunity to feel like a painter, if only for a short while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the rules say that the game ends immediately whenever someone exceeds point limit in a game? It seems like you were playing where everyone got an equal number of turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Wolfe
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dexdouglas wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't the rules say that the game ends immediately whenever someone exceeds point limit in a game? It seems like you were playing where everyone got an equal number of turns.

No, the rules in the International Edition state that all players get an equal number of turns. One player triggers the end game by meeting or exceeding the point total for the specific player count. In that manner it's possible that the player who triggered the end game will not be the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony C
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, I have the first edition. Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.