Subject: LOOKING FOR A PC GAME I CAN DIVE RIGHT INTO rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Erwin
United States
Tioga
Texas
flag msg tools
Don't want to spend a lot of time reading rules. Wargame of course. Sid Meier's Gettysburg/Waterloo are favorites...Field of Glory is great. Close Combat too. War in Russia is too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard there was a lot of diving in FIFA 2014!

Edit: whistleshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Aurora
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unity of Command is pretty good. It's on Steam. East Front WW2. Operational level. The AI is very aggressive, maybe a little too much so.

Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This :

http://www.ranker.com/review/silent-hunter-iii/2030188
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Sell
United Kingdom
Dagenham
Essex
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Europa Universalis IV? It's an excellent game but might be a bit hands off for your tastes though. By the same fellows is Hearts of Iron II or III (both very good) which cover the entirety of the second world war. Both Europa and Hearts of Iron include a good heap of economic management so your enjoyment will depend on how much you like that style of game.

If you want a pure battle then any of the Take Command games are very interesting, offering you a kind of "officer simulator", with you following a single officer during a particular battle sending orders and reports via horse couriers which can be intercepted or lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Corps. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I highly recommend the Combat Mission 2 series from Battlefront.
If you liked Close Combat back in the '90s, then this WW II turn-based PC game is a worthy successor. Game families for Normandy and Italy are out already, and within days or weeks they'll be releasing the Market-Garden Module, which will also bring the Normandy family up to version 2.1.

Also: This is a great series to play if you still like operational and grand-tactical WWII board wargames. I've played some "operational-tactical" campaigns with an opponent over the past few years, using board games like St.-Lo, Where Eagles Dare and a playtest version of GMT's Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, then playing out some of the more interesting or critical situations in 3D using Combat Mission 2. It's wargaming nirvana because you get to see the action on the board come alive, and your PC battles become more realistic and consequential due to the logistics and other factors determined by the boardgame. I plan to use Ardennes '44 2nd editionwith Combat Mission Bulge, and Panzer Command as the op layer for Combat Mission Eastern Front, when the series goes there in the next year or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
erwindougs wrote:
Sid Meier's Gettysburg/Waterloo are favorites...Field of Glory is great. Close Combat too. War in Russia is too much.

Napoleon at Austerlitz uses the same system as Gettysburg/Waterloo and is a great battle to game. However, it's hard to find these days.

For something similar to Fields of Glory, maybe check out the Tin Soldiers series, see Tin Soldiers: Caesar in particular.

For a bit of a mix between Fields of Glory and Close Combat, see Battle Academy. Set in World War II, it's quick and easy to get into.

I'll also add a vote for Unity of Command, easy to learn, and a great game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadsword56 wrote:
If you liked Close Combat back in the '90s, then this WW II turn-based PC game is a worthy successor. Game families for Normandy and Italy are out already, and within days or weeks they'll be releasing the Market-Garden Module, which will also bring the Normandy family up to version 2.1.

Also: This is a great series to play if you still like operational and grand-tactical WWII board wargames. I've played some "operational-tactical" campaigns with an opponent over the past few years, using board games like St.-Lo, Where Eagles Dare and a playtest version of GMT's Operation Dauntless: The Battles for Fontenay and Rauray, then playing out some of the more interesting or critical situations in 3D using Combat Mission 2. It's wargaming nirvana because you get to see the action on the board come alive, and your PC battles become more realistic and consequential due to the logistics and other factors determined by the boardgame. I plan to use Ardennes '44 2nd editionwith Combat Mission Bulge, and Panzer Command as the op layer for Combat Mission Eastern Front, when the series goes there in the next year or two.

Combat Mission is NOT something you just "dive right into", unless you've been reading technical manuals on tank specs for the last ten years. It's aimed mainly at guys who came up playing wargames already for the last 2 or 3 decades. There is little in-game reference to the technical capabilities of the equipment, and even the developers aren't 100% sure (based on their responses on the public forums) how some key game systems really work - which makes it difficult for consumers to get a grasp on things themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Men of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadsword56 wrote:

Holy! This must consume you all the time of tweaking and twisting the mods in order to do all this.

I think Combat Mission is something you can just dive into. After all, the interfaces are quite easy to get used to. However, to play the game and do it well the battle are another matter. You just can't dive into winning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Poskitt
Portugal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gvchief wrote:
Unity of Command is pretty good. It's on Steam. East Front WW2. Operational level. The AI is very aggressive, maybe a little too much so.

Mike.

I agree. And though it can pay to read through the instructions provided with the gamne at some point, you can more or less just dive right in.

Yes, it is available from Steam or even the Matrix website. However, you can go to the Unity of Command website and get a very good deal there.

I purchased both Unity of Command and the DLC - Red Turn - for just GBP 7. The two together give a whole load of scenarios for play.

The game is great to play, the UI is very straightforward and intuitive, and yes, the AI is no pushover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crian
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dougposkitt wrote:
gvchief wrote:

Mike.

I agree. And though it can pay to read through the instructions provided with the gamne at some point, you can more or less just dive right in.

Yes, it is available from Steam or even the Matrix website. However, you can go to the Unity of Command website and get a very good deal there.

I purchased both Unity of Command and the DLC - Red Turn - for just GBP 7. The two together give a whole load of scenarios for play.

The game is great to play, the UI is very straightforward and intuitive, and yes, the AI is no pushover.

Another vote for unity of command. I purchased it yesterday (on the Gamersgate sale), and promptly dived right in. I had played some games from the Panzer General series before, which helped, but it is very intuitive and easy. Lots of fun also, and a good challenge. I've restarted the German campaign a few times as I work things out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dan_hnnng wrote:
Panzer Corps. cool

Agreed.

This is about the same level of complexity as Field of Glory. If you like FoG and WW2 then you should like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan | In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this | Combat Commander series fan | The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me! | Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Academy by Slitherine. Panzer Corps is coming to OSX and iOS next month, hurray! But also a good suggestion given your likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keijo Mulqvist
Finland
flag msg tools
Scourge of War. Dated graphics but really neat game. Demo available here: http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml though the demo version is not updated, so it does not feature all and/or some features do not work correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
In the opening post he mentioned Close Combat, so that's why I recommended Combat Mission 2.

I'd have to know him better to say whether the game would please him or not. But in either game, a basic familarity with WWII tactical and grand-tactical practices will suffice, because tactics that worked in real life generally work well in the games.

Also, the tutorials and manuals supplied are much more detailed and better written than the usual stuff from the mass-market computer game industry these days. So yes, it is easy to "dive in" and play, and to have fun. Don't expect to be great at it right away -- there's a lot of depth and it can take a long time to master the subtleties. But that's where the real replay value comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
[q="Lawrence Hung
Holy! This must consume you all the time of tweaking and twisting the mods in order to do all this.

[/q]

No, not at all!
The more I do it, the more I believe it's just a matter of understanding the "story" that the boardgame is trying to tell you about what's happening at this given moment.

It helps to have read about the campaigns and to know generally how battalions and companies tended to operate in WW II. Beyond that, it's just a matter of using common sense to translate the situation from a few hexes of the board into a map, OOB, and reasonable objectives for a scenario setup in CM2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man on Fire
United States
Worthington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Games on fire
badge
Burning to play!
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this DEMO of Panzer Corps. It's free. cool
http://www.slitherine.com/games/panzer_corps_pc
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G.W.
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
That's why I don't write scenarios with AI.

These operational-tactical battles I do are always human-to-human setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great series:

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/318/details/John.Tiller

It's pretty simple to understand, has a ton scenarios, and covers the war in Europe and the Far East. Graphically, it still holds up pretty well considering how old it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Van Wagoner
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
erwindougs wrote:
Don't want to spend a lot of time reading rules. Wargame of course. Sid Meier's Gettysburg/Waterloo are favorites...Field of Glory is great. Close Combat too. War in Russia is too much.
your search is over:

http://www.scourgeofwar.com/index.shtml

this BLOWS away SM Gettysburg, and any other PC war game!! seriously, and it's great/easy to play online vs. other owners and/or friends (just an option; you could play for years vs. the AI and never go online)...AI is A+, and an incredible amount of either "real battles" or "sandbox" games to choose from....plus, you decide how big an army/div/brigade/etc. you want to be...

really, this is the best!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dorosh
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Tactical Wargamer's Journal
mbmbmbmbmb
Broadsword56 wrote:
That's why I don't write scenarios with AI.

These operational-tactical battles I do are always human-to-human setups.

Unfortunately, the majority of wargaming since the beginning of the hobby has been solo. I refer to the beginning of the board-wargaming hobby, not the computer era.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I play World of Tanks, only PC game I can stand. Although you'll spend a lot of time driving a tank around killing other tanks, once you get the hang of it, it can be very fun commanding teams of 15 other tankers (real people) in battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
After Math
msg tools
I would highly recommend Space Hulk that just released on Steam. Tons of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.