• [+] Dice rolls
They call me....
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
When they start to cover pre-existing stupidity, Drew, you will qualify for the lowest premiums, thanks to your income level. In the meantime, just keep railing against the darkness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
TheOneTrueZeke wrote:
You seem a wee bit obsessed.

Just an observation.

You just don't understand: OBAMA!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is he still the anti-christ? It's been a while since my last accidental dose of Faux News.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, they even let Republicans get Obamacare, and at least one of them liked it!

Quote:
Butch Matthews is a lifelong Republican. He is a 61-year-old retiree in Little Rock, Ark., and when the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) came to pass, he had his doubts. "I did not think it was going to help me at all," he said.

Prior to, he was reportedly spending $1,069 a month under a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan, which amounts to $12,828 per year. But then he did some research when Obamacare's state exchanges went live on Tuesday.

Thankfully, Obamacare doesn't discriminate on party lines. Under Matthews' new plan via the federal provisions, he is a "Bronze," and pays nothing in monthly premiums after federal subsidies. He has a deductible of $750.

Instead of decrying it immediately, Matthews says people should "be more informed, get more information, take your time and study and [do] not just go by what you hear [from] one side or the other. ... Actually check the facts on it."

Matthews is still a Republican. He's just grateful for the health insurance.
[LINK]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
The original article has even more details, and says the new plan is Silver instead of Bronze. Man, an even better deal for that Republican.
Quote:
Matthews was self-employed between 1997 and 2010, meaning he had to purchase his own plan on the individual market. He chose a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan for himself and his wife that charged a $250 per month premium and had a $2,000 deductible. But the price of that policy kept rising even as it covered fewer of his costs, eventually devolving into his current rate of $1,069 per month with a $10,000 deductible. At this point, it doesn’t even cover his medication or doctors’ visits — particularly concerning considering he had to have two stents placed in his heart in 2006.

“I do not work now, I’m 61, and we do have assets saved up. But still, to come up with that $1,069 per month….” he said, trailing off. “I went to Blue Cross Blue Shield, and they don’t even sell that plan anymore, but I could not change it to anything else. So I was locked in with it.”

That all changed once Obamacare’s state-level marketplaces opened to the public on Tuesday. Matthews knew that, at his income level, the law would help him pay for insurance. But even he might not have expected just how good of a deal he could get: his new coverage will cost him absolutely nothing in monthly premiums after factoring in federal subsidies, and has a deductible of $750.

“Which is a lot different from $10,000,” he pointed out, laughing.
The mid-level “Silver” policy that he picked out also offers a significantly better benefits package. “It’s a lot better plan,” Matthews said. His old plan was considered to be “Bronze” and had much higher co-pays. Under Obamacare, when Matthews visits a doctor, it will no longer cost him around $150. It will cost $8.

So what would Matthews tell other Americans who are skeptical about Obamacare? “I would tell them to learn more about it before they start talking bad about it,” he noted. “Be more informed, get more information, take your time and study and not just go by just what you hear on one side or the other. Actually check the facts on it.”

“I still am a very strong Republican, but this… I’m so happy that this came along,” he continued. “Our home is paid for, vehicle’s paid for, this is our expense that we have. We have more expense on medical care than everything else put together, so this is going to be a great help for us.”
Left Wing Media Site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Wow, they even let Republicans get Obamacare, and at least one of them liked it!

Quote:
Butch Matthews is a lifelong Republican. He is a 61-year-old retiree in Little Rock, Ark., and when the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA) came to pass, he had his doubts. "I did not think it was going to help me at all," he said.

Prior to, he was reportedly spending $1,069 a month under a Blue Cross Blue Shield plan, which amounts to $12,828 per year. But then he did some research when Obamacare's state exchanges went live on Tuesday.

Thankfully, Obamacare doesn't discriminate on party lines. Under Matthews' new plan via the federal provisions, he is a "Bronze," and pays nothing in monthly premiums after federal subsidies. He has a deductible of $750.

Instead of decrying it immediately, Matthews says people should "be more informed, get more information, take your time and study and [do] not just go by what you hear [from] one side or the other. ... Actually check the facts on it."

Matthews is still a Republican. He's just grateful for the health insurance.
[LINK]
Matthews is still a Republican. He's just grateful he is able to get something his party of choice would deny him, what a cunt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope that he's called his Congressman and told him to vote for a clean CR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
It wasn't just a fluke with that other Republican, here's a second one that was allowed to get a plan on the Health Exchange. And he's well pleased. Obamacare for the win!

Quote:
Joshua Pittman is a 31-year-old self-employed videographer from Montgomery, Alabama. A libertarian Republican who voted for Ron Paul in 2012 and believes that Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) is the future of the GOP, Pittman sees Barack Obama’s presidency as a “failure” who hasn’t lived up to the nation’s expectations.

But on Tuesday morning, Pittman logged on to HealthCare.gov and after some initial glitches and delays, successfully enrolled in a Bronze-level Obamacare health insurance plan. “It took me all day, really,” he says with a laugh. “It kicked me out and told me you have to try again, but I knew what I was getting into with so many people exploring it.”
Though he initially supported repealing the law, Pittman became curious about Obamacare in the days and weeks before it launched. For years, he had gone uninsured, thinking he’d be able to “get over anything with a bandaid and a six pack of beer.” But a lead poisoning incident earlier this year shook his confidence and bank account, leading him with tens of thousands of dollars in medical bills. “I was a healthy person and it really depleted me financially, so it made me look at things in a different way than I would before. I understood the importance of people being insured.”

“I’ve seen first hand people hitting up the emergency room for free health care and then putting a burden on [everyone else] and that’s not something I would want to do, I want to take personal responsibility … By no means am I trying to take a government handout…it’s not a free handout, you’re paying for this health care, but it’s making it more accessible to more people.”

Asked what he liked about Obamacare, Pittman highlighted its prohibition against denying coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, noting that he wouldn’t be able to find coverage without it, and said that the policies offered in the marketplace seemed more affordable and comprehensive than those available to him on the individual market. “You may pay $18 a month [for a cheaper plan] and you’re missing a level of coverage. It’s not as easy as you’re going to pay this much a month,” he says.

Government data shows that premiums for an individual Blue Cross and Blue Shield Bronze-level plan in Montgomery County, Alabama averages $160 per month for a 27-year old. An older adult will pay $273 per month.
Pittman doesn’t believe that Obamacare is perfect, but says Republicans in Congress should stop trying to repeal the law and give it a chance to work. “As a Republican, I think [the GOP's repeal effort] is childish and I think this is the wrong way to lead… it’s babyish and I think as a party it just reflects negatively upon us,” he explains.

He predicts that other conservatives will set aside their party politics and do what they feel is best for themselves and their families. “I think there are Republicans that are all types of people who are making these decisions and they’re not basing them on political party. It’s just common sense kind of things. And I think that’s the only way we’re going to make a change in this country if people start thinking on those lines, instead of political party lines.”
Left Wing Media Site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew, just out of curiosity, are you for or against Obamacare?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
mrspank wrote:

I hope I've made it clear that I want to see it go down in flames while screaming. But I'm not sure how that's material to the discussion here.

Why would you want to be screaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Golux13 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
mrspank wrote:

I hope I've made it clear that I want to see it go down in flames while screaming. But I'm not sure how that's material to the discussion here.

Why would you want to be screaming?

If you scream loud enough, you'll think someone is listening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Eig
United States
Huntington
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
And according to car rental companies, if you're a man. Unless you get married. Then you're a real man at 21.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
We should probably stop picking on Chad Henderson. He's only 21. According to Obamacare, he won't be an actual adult for 5 more years.

Chad's father Bill contradicted virtually every major detail of the story the media can't get enough of. What's more, some of the details that Chad has released are also at odds with published rate schedules and how Obamacare officials say the enrollment system works.

http://reason.com/archives/2013/10/04/obamacare-chad-henders...

I think his Dad just grounded him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
What's sad about this story is that it shouldn't have been a national level story.

I mean, who cares? The issue isn't whether or not this one kid can register to get Obamacare- its whether or not the system is ready for ALL Americans to register for the program, and why it is (or isn't) ready to accommodate the people wanting to get into the program.

But instead, a lot of political reporters demonstrated probably their biggest bias- the bias towards the 'easy' story. Mr Henderson used social media to get his story out to as many as possible, and several big journalists figured that talking to him would be a nice 'color' piece for a story on the big issue that is the Obamacare rollout.

It's no conspiracy- the sad truth is that journalists are under an incredible time crunch to get stories out, and are becoming increasingly reliant on trawling social media to get little leads for bits that would make an otherwise boring story 'pop'. Nothing wrong with that, unless of course it turns out that the kid really isn't as knowledgeable as one would think.

And of course, we know THAT- because the bloggers are out there, looking for any possible misstep by journalists, ready to post hyperbolic articles on how the 'MSM missed the story of this kid' and how this is obviously a case of the media manufacturing a story in order to make the Administration look good.

Wait. What??

The MSM is Manufacturing Consent to make an unpopular policy more palatable? So when the hell did the Right Wing Blogosphere's all become radical Chomsky fans?

But the story continues to build, because by providing controversy- that some journalists might have been caught with their pants down by bloggers- the bloggers have made what otherwise is completely irrelevant and trite snoozer into a 'big-ish' story that the rest of the pack has to cover.

So this story is sad, but not for the reasons that Drew et al. think. It illustrates the two main biases of the modern media-

1). Journalists are under a huge time crunch, and this can be used to send out a message by giving them a nice, easy, and quick story. In the absence of political handlers, this means that a lot of times they'll just grab whatever comes down the pike through social media and look at it as critically as they might otherwise should.

2). If a story gets covered by other journalists, it validates that story as 'important'. And nothing validates a story better than controversy- two sides arguing over ANYTHING makes a story into something 'important'.

If you don't think that the neo-Chomskyites out there on the Right aren't aware of this in their attempt to win the public relations contest that is the ONLY battlefield where they might have a chance to win this current political pissing match, I've got some oceanfront property next door to MisterMarino to sell you.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruiner of Things
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
....I've got some oceanfront property next door to MisterMarino to sell you.

Just don't put up a sea wall that blocks my view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
What's sad about this story is that it shouldn't have been a national level story.

I mean, who cares? The issue isn't whether or not this one kid can register to get Obamacare- its whether or not the system is ready for ALL Americans to register for the program, and why it is (or isn't) ready to accommodate the people wanting to get into the program.

But instead, a lot of political reporters demonstrated probably their biggest bias- the bias towards the 'easy' story. Mr Henderson used social media to get his story out to as many as possible, and several big journalists figured that talking to him would be a nice 'color' piece for a story on the big issue that is the Obamacare rollout.

It's no conspiracy- the sad truth is that journalists are under an incredible time crunch to get stories out, and are becoming increasingly reliant on trawling social media to get little leads for bits that would make an otherwise boring story 'pop'. Nothing wrong with that, unless of course it turns out that the kid really isn't as knowledgeable as one would think.

And of course, we know THAT- because the bloggers are out there, looking for any possible misstep by journalists, ready to post hyperbolic articles on how the 'MSM missed the story of this kid' and how this is obviously a case of the media manufacturing a story in order to make the Administration look good.

Wait. What??

The MSM is Manufacturing Consent to make an unpopular policy more palatable? So when the hell did the Right Wing Blogosphere's all become radical Chomsky fans?

But the story continues to build, because by providing controversy- that some journalists might have been caught with their pants down by bloggers- the bloggers have made what otherwise is completely irrelevant and trite snoozer into a 'big-ish' story that the rest of the pack has to cover.

So this story is sad, but not for the reasons that Drew et al. think. It illustrates the two main biases of the modern media-

1). Journalists are under a huge time crunch, and this can be used to send out a message by giving them a nice, easy, and quick story. In the absence of political handlers, this means that a lot of times they'll just grab whatever comes down the pike through social media and look at it as critically as they might otherwise should.

2). If a story gets covered by other journalists, it validates that story as 'important'. And nothing validates a story better than controversy- two sides arguing over ANYTHING makes a story into something 'important'.

If you don't think that the neo-Chomskyites out there on the Right aren't aware of this in their attempt to win the public relations contest that is the ONLY battlefield where they might have a chance to win this current political pissing match, I've got some oceanfront property next door to MisterMarino to sell you.

Darilian

Yay! Someone was finally able to comment on the topic at hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darilian wrote:
I mean, who cares?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
sikeospi wrote:
Darilian wrote:
I mean, who cares?

Yeah, I really missed that meeting when they passed out copies of Noam Chomsky's Manufacturing Consent to all of the bloggers out there.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The guy is too poor to afford health care, but he has hundreds of dollars to donate to the president's election campaign.

So the purpose of the health care bill is to offset expenses to fund Democrats running for office?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
The guy is too poor to afford health care, but he has hundreds of dollars to donate to the president's election campaign.

So the purpose of the health care bill is to offset expenses to fund Democrats running for office?
I might have missed it, where does it say he donates money to Obama?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Donations, for the most part, are public. Someone probably looked it up and posted it somewhere to rally the wingnuts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmilum wrote:
Donations, for the most part, are public. Someone probably looked it up and posted it somewhere to rally the wingnuts.
Then I would hope to see a source for the claim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
From OpenSecrets:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Boykin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
For BJ.....
mb
sikeospi wrote:

I'm too poor to afford health care, but I also found time and money to donate to election campaigns.

Does it disqualify me that I donated to libertarians and (in 2008) to Republicans?

Or is it that if you're poor, you're too stupid to really 'understand the issues' and you'll just vote for Democrats because they 'give you stuff'.

But yet, if I point out that the GOP argues like this, I would be the one who is making a 'classist' argument.

But that's what this is about, isn't it? Some Republicans are terrified of what would happen if a bunch of lower income people (who generally don't vote that much at all) suddenly got motivated to learn more about politics and realized which party has (sometimes, and not with any amount of real energy) protected the services and programs that help out in times of emergency, and which party is dominated by a radical minority which feels that poor people are the enemies of democracy.

Darilian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.