Subject: Jan Ors, Garven Dreiss, Blue Squad Pilot list? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys... Just theory crafting, as I haven't had a chance to try this list yet, but I was hoping for some thoughts.

Jan in Hwk, with Blaster Turret and Nien Numb as crew
Garven in X-wing
Blue Pilot B-wing, with HLC, Advanced Torp

I don't have my cards in front of me, and Voidstate is giving me grief... but I BELIEVE that slips in at 100pts, or with a few to spare.

I think it would be a pretty durable list of heavy hitters. Jan with Nien Numb essentially lets her give out extra attack die to the already potent hitters, Garven is using his Focus and in doing so turning Jan into a heavy hitting ship thanks to the Blaster Turret, and well.... B-wing is just beastly as is, let alone with free attack dice from Jan.

Thoughts?

I'm just trying to do something "different" as the local meta is obscenely stale. VERY few local players have the Wave 3 ships in play as of yet, and as such it is still all Swarms, Dual Firespray, or the snoozer that is Biggs/Wedge/Luke tanky list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neomaxim Noefaith
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back, I believe I also put Advance Proton Torpedos on Garven as well. If I recall, the list without those came up 7pts short.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Pts | Card
----|------------------
25 | Jan Ors
4 | Blaster Turret
1 | Nien Nunb
26 | Garven Dreis
22 | Blue Squadron Pilot
7 | Heavy Laser Cannon
6 | Adv. Proton Torpedoes
--------
91 pts

That gives you 9 points to play with. Adding Adv. Proton Torps to Garven would bring your squad to 97 pts.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's breaking your theme a little, but how about:
Jan + Squad Leader + Nien Nunb + Ion Cannon Turret (33)
Ten Numb + Marksmanship (34)
Wedge Antilles + R2D2 (33)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:

Garven in X-wing

I think that you have a couple of problems there:

1 - Jan with a Blaster Turret and no recon agent won't be very effective. You'll be rolling 3 un-aided red dice, often to no effect.

2 - Garven can't pass his focus token to Jan for offence unless he's shot by someone with a higher PS than Jan.

3 - Putting an APT on Garven is problematic at the moment as he's got no way of establishing a TL and focusing in the same turn.

I think that you might have more success with something like:

Jan Ors + Ion Cannon + Nien Nunb + Moldy Crow + Shield Upgrade - 38
Blue Squadron Pilot + Fire Control System + HLC - 31

Jan can accumulate focus tokens as you slowly advance, firing the HLCs (one of them with 5 red dice) with the benefit of focus + TL on any ships that you shoot twice in a row. As things become a furball Jan's turret helps pin one of the enemy in place whilst the B-Wings focus fire them to death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Newtruthneomaxim wrote:
Hey guys... Just theory crafting, as I haven't had a chance to try this list yet, but I was hoping for some thoughts.

Garven in X-wing

I don't have my cards in front of me, and Voidstate is giving me grief... but I BELIEVE that slips in at 100pts, or with a few to spare.

I think it would be a pretty durable list of heavy hitters. Jan with Nien Numb essentially lets her give out extra attack die to the already potent hitters, Garven is using his Focus and in doing so turning Jan into a heavy hitting ship thanks to the Blaster Turret, and well.... B-wing is just beastly as is, let alone with free attack dice from Jan.

Thoughts?

I'm just trying to do something "different" as the local meta is obscenely stale. VERY few local players have the Wave 3 ships in play as of yet, and as such it is still all Swarms, Dual Firespray, or the snoozer that is Biggs/Wedge/Luke tanky list.

I like the list. For your extra points I would definitely put Moldy Crow on Jan so you can stockpile some early focus to use in a bind later on if you get in a situation where going straight to get rid of stress isn't a good option. I would change the Blaster Turret for and ION Turret just because I'm ION happy at the moment. It will let you pin down a ship so you can know exactly where to go for that key range 1 Advanced Proton Torpedo shot.

I have a very similar list to this that I've had much success with. You can check out here:
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1047734/kyleibtisamwedge-vs-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
commuterzombie wrote:

I'm glad people are moving away from swarms so much, but holy cow I can't wait for the Dual-Blue-FCS-HLC builds to go away. I get that they are the new hotness, but some variety is nice. Maybe I'm biased as I only have one B-Wing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:

Pts | Card
----|------------------
25 | Jan Ors
4 | Blaster Turret
1 | Nien Nunb
26 | Garven Dreis
22 | Blue Squadron Pilot
7 | Heavy Laser Cannon
6 | Adv. Proton Torpedoes
--------
91 pts

That gives you 9 points to play with. Adding Adv. Proton Torps to Garven would bring your squad to 97 pts.

-shnar

Add Squad Leader to Jan so she can give Garven a Target Lock and you're all set!

Blue takes TL action. Garven takes Focus. Jan takes Focus (to power her turret) when Garven/Blue are out of Range 1, or takes Squad Leader when Garven/Blue are in Range 1. This gives Garven a Target Lock. Garven unloads the AdvProtTorp with a Focus to spend, passes the Focus to Blue, who does the same. Ka-pow!! (Of course, Jan only has 1 attack die that round. That's the problem with Blaster Turrets...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
commuterzombie wrote:

I'm glad people are moving away from swarms so much, but holy cow I can't wait for the Dual-Blue-FCS-HLC builds to go away. I get that they are the new hotness, but some variety is nice. Maybe I'm biased as I only have one B-Wing

It's certainly beginning to look like dual B-wing + HLC builds are going to be a common squad choice. It will be interesting to see how people start adapting their squads to handle them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
commuterzombie wrote:
killerardvark wrote:
commuterzombie wrote:

It's certainly beginning to look like dual B-wing + HLC builds are going to be a common squad choice. It will be interesting to see how people start adapting their squads to handle them...

Get in close and focus fire their support ship then laugh as you pick apart the non maneuverable B-Wings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
commuterzombie wrote:

Jan can accumulate focus tokens as you slowly advance, firing the HLCs (one of them with 5 red dice) with the benefit of focus + TL on any ships that you shoot twice in a row. As things become a furball Jan's turret helps pin one of the enemy in place whilst the B-Wings focus fire them to death.

Why is Jan accumulating Focus tokens? She doesn't need them (well, no more than usual) and has no way to pass them.

My best "Jan + 2 Blues" squad is:

Jan Ors + Ion Cannon Turret + Nien Nunb + Swarm Tactics + Engine Upgrade - 37

Jan hands out dice, only does green maneuvers, and uses Engine Upgrade when she needs to turn 90° (by doing green bank + boost). In principle, the BSP's get both TL+Focus ... but I found that FCS didn't trigger very often as I got a lot of one-shot kills against TIEs. I'm sure the FCS's would be worth their points against big ships with lots of shields/hull.

Consider swapping Swarm Tactics for Squad Leader if you want more action stacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
commuter zombie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:

Why is Jan accumulating Focus tokens? She doesn't need them (well, no more than usual) and has no way to pass them.

Jan will typically be an early target, accumulating focus tokens over the first turn or two allows her to use them on multiple defence rolls in the same turn to stay alive.

Swarm tactics isn't a bad choice but keeping in range 1 of a HWK-290 really cuts down on your maneuvering options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Scott
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scomatt9 wrote:
I know it's breaking your theme a little, but how about:
Jan + Squad Leader + Nien Nunb + Ion Cannon Turret (33)
Ten Numb + Marksmanship (34)
Wedge Antilles + R2D2 (33)

This list is getting no love, but I'm going to recommend it again anyway.

Swarm Tactics is hard with Jan because if she's close enough to your ships to be in range one, she's probably dead. Blaster on Jan is pointless because you don't really want to be close enough to use it (HLC is brutal against a HWK) but you want a turret in case you do end up that close. Ion can be fired without a focus (in case you need to use squad leader instead) and if it hits, it'll help you position a bit better.

With respect to Jan needing focus tokens because she'll be an early target, you're right. She probably will be. But are you REALLY going to leave Ten with Markshmanship and Wedge with R2 on the board any longer than you have to? That doesn't seem wise. Anyway, try it out if you'd like, and not if you don't. Just my two cents
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you guys really find that Jan is an early target? When opposing lists like these, I leave Jan alone. She isn't a threat and she does nothing if she has no one to support. My instinct is to take out the B-wing or X-wing she is adding dice to and leave Jan for last. And when I'm playing with this list, I welcome shots on Jan and make my opponent pay for it by having two Heavy Laser Cannons targeting the ship that's shooting at Jan. I'm much less happy if they're shooting at my B-wings and leaving Jan alone.

Opposing your list, I try to focus fire on Wedge to eliminate him ASAP (because R2-D2 is a little b**** if he makes it to the late game), then take out Ten second, and then Jan is pretty harmless when she is by herself.

I haven't decided which I like better on Jan between Swarm Tactics and Squad Leader. Squad Leader has a more versatile range restriction and allows late-turn target locking for the B-wings - which is something they can't do on their own. On the other hand, shooting first with a 5-dice attack can eliminate a target before it can fire, which is often a game-changer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking of R2, I have a hard time bringing him if I don't also bring a Shield Upgrade. Do others feel the same?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
Do you guys really find that Jan is an early target? When opposing lists like these, I leave Jan alone. She isn't a threat and she does nothing if she has no one to support. My instinct is to take out the B-wing or X-wing she is adding dice to and leave Jan for last. And when I'm playing with this list, I welcome shots on Jan and make my opponent pay for it by having two Heavy Laser Cannons targeting the ship that's shooting at Jan. I'm much less happy if they're shooting at my B-wings and leaving Jan alone.

Opposing your list, I try to focus fire on Wedge to eliminate him ASAP (because R2-D2 is a little b**** if he makes it to the late game), then take out Ten second, and then Jan is pretty harmless when she is by herself.

I haven't decided which I like better on Jan between Swarm Tactics and Squad Leader. Squad Leader has a more versatile range restriction and allows late-turn target locking for the B-wings - which is something they can't do on their own. On the other hand, shooting first with a 5-dice attack can eliminate a target before it can fire, which is often a game-changer.

I disagree, a support with an ION Turret is just evil to deal with. I do agree if Jan doesn't have a turret then she's a secondary target. And your "focus on the guy shooting at Jan", if someone focus fires on Jan she's going to be down in 2 turns max. Your not going to bother me much in 2 turns. Playing with an HWK, I love it when you leave my HWK alone. An ION turret on a HWK/Y-Wing is my favorite late game ship. In a game where maneuver is key, the ION is death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
Speaking of R2, I have a hard time bringing him if I don't also bring a Shield Upgrade. Do others feel the same?

-shnar

Definitely helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerardvark wrote:
I disagree, a support with an ION Turret is just evil to deal with. I do agree if Jan doesn't have a turret then she's a secondary target.

I've never seen Jan without a Turret - aside from the time I took a crit that made her drop her secondary weapon. But I welcome the 1-damage shots that an Ion Cannon does. Sure, the 1-white can be annoying at times, but I'd rather that than take 3-4 damage from a "real" weapon.

killerardvark wrote:
And your "focus on the guy shooting at Jan", if someone focus fires on Jan she's going to be down in 2 turns max. Your not going to bother me much in 2 turns.

LOL. Have you played against B-wings with HLCs? If you give me two free shots with a 5-die HLC and a 4-die HLC, even a Falcon with Chewbacca (crew) and Shield Upgrade is going down. And then you have to deal with 2 undamaged B-wings, since you've been focusing on my least threatening ship for 2 turns. Good luck!

killerardvark wrote:
Playing with an HWK, I love it when you leave my HWK alone. An ION turret on a HWK/Y-Wing is my favorite late game ship. In a game where maneuver is key, the ION is death.

I don't know what to say here. I'm glad it works for you, but I guess we have to agree to disagree because I don't think I've ever seen a Y-wing or HWK win a match as the last ship standing, even when other ships did the lion's share of the work (e.g. Chewie with two Y-wings, etc). I guess if the opposing ship only needs one damage to finish it... still don't think I've seen it, and I'm closing in on 100 plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I think I'm the only one flying a B-Wing at the moment in my area. Not a big community of players, or at least there's no communication...anyways. Excited to fly against the list though. Given how it is the new hotness I think it is going to take some interesting strategies to take it down. Definitely can't joust against it or like you said 9 dice per turn is going to hurt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
iNano78 wrote:

I've been trying out DrawTheirFire on my HWKs, and it is working out pretty well, especially since my opponents tend to avoid my HWK. Maybe you can give it a shot and see how it goes. Your opponent would likely avoid attacking your HWK, so you can use DrawTheirFire to move some damage over. Afterwards, when your HWK is low on hp, your opponent may choose to go for it instead, thus diverting an entire attack (or 2-3 depending on your luck) from your other more valuable ships.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

I've been trying out DrawTheirFire on my HWKs, and it is working out pretty well, especially since my opponents tend to avoid my HWK. Maybe you can give it a shot and see how it goes. Your opponent would likely avoid attacking your HWK, so you can use DrawTheirFire to move some damage over. Afterwards, when your HWK is low on hp, your opponent may choose to go for it instead, thus diverting an entire attack (or 2-3 depending on your luck) from your other more valuable ships.

Draw Their Fire on a HWK??? How many crits can you take until it's just useless. I like Draw Their Fire on ships with more shields. Make it hurt less.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
killerardvark wrote:
Duraham wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

Draw Their Fire on a HWK??? How many crits can you take until it's just useless. I like Draw Their Fire on ships with more shields. Make it hurt less.

exactly 5. maybe 4 or 3 if you are unlucky. The point is that with DrawTheirFire, your HWK should die before your other ships, which is a very good thing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
killerardvark wrote:
Duraham wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

exactly 5. maybe 4 or 3 if you are unlucky. The point is that with DrawTheirFire, your HWK should die before your other ships, which is a very good thing

I just dont see those stacking crit effects turning out well for you. Lots of double damage crits in that deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
there are only 7 direct hits in a deck of 33 cards. The only other card that has the potential to deal more than 1 damage is minor explosion, and there are only 2 of them.

other than that, just about the only 2 crits that you do not want to get is munitions failure and injured pilot. Even then, i'd still flow the crits over to them, since the crits would land on my other ships otherwise.

Would you rather have 1 nearly dead, severely cripped ship and 2-3 healthy ships, or have all 3-4 of your ships half dead and half crippled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
there are only 7 direct hits in a deck of 33 cards. The only other card that has the potential to deal more than 1 damage is minor explosion, and there are only 2 of them.

other than that, just about the only 2 crits that you do not want to get is munitions failure and injured pilot. Even then, i'd still flow the crits over to them, since the crits would land on my other ships otherwise.

Would you rather have 1 nearly dead, severely cripped ship and 2-3 healthy ships, or have all 3-4 of your ships half dead and half crippled?

I understand the benefit of Draw Their Fire, I'm just saying I like it more on a ship with more shields or Chewbacca who doesn't take crit effects. Much more valuable there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.