United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just learned that I've been furloughed, and will be without any income until Capital Hill gets its proverbial head out of its butt! To top it off my wife's Company panicked and laid off 50 people. So we now have zero income. Thankfully I was diligent enough to have 2 months saved up for emergencies. Now for the first time in my life I'm scared. Thanks for listening to my rant.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck! At least you were a bit prepared for a rainy day. Just don't drive a black car into the Capitol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
????
mbmbmbmbmb
I got furloughed Tuesday due to the nonsense in Washington. I hope it gets resolved this weekend. In past shutdowns we got pay for time missed not sure about this time. I registered with the unemployment office but have to wait until the 18th to request benefits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
You should become a senator instead and never have to worry about losing your paycheck due to Gov fluk-ups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That does suck.

This "furlough" has us in the UK reaching for our dictionaries. A completely unknown concept to us. We have cuts and redundancies, but not this.

I was reading about this madness today and found a rather terrifying graph on this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24365018

My understanding is that the reason a new ceiling cannot get agreed is due to political infighting rather than thought about the US financial future, but I'm assuming some people must be thinking about that?

Can anyone explain what the thinking is when you look at a graph like that? Is it...
1. Oh no. At this rate, we are heading for a debt that we'll never be able to pay back. Better do something about that.
2. We aren't ever going to owe less. Screw this "debt ceiling" nonsense, lets just set it at 100 Trillion and not have to worry about it for a long time.
3. Yeah, that looks bad. But we just need to get through the next year or so. Let our kids worry about the long term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
1000rpm wrote:
Can anyone explain what the thinking is when you look at a graph like that?
Looking at raw numbers is somewhat misleading. It helps to look at debt as a % of GDP, like here:

Not that it suddenly makes it all okay, but it puts it in a bit more perspective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain, almost literally. I was going to be furloughed for 22 weeks this summer, then it was 20, then 4, then 11 and then it was finally 6.

We made it through but the emotional wear & tear was probably the toughest. And we get to go through it once again. I'm currently working, but it is unsure for how long.

The good news is that the longest one of these furloughs has lasted was 21 days. The bad news is.... well, you know.

Folks say "If ya don't like it, don't work for the Feds. I got news for ya, sister. It happened when I was in the private sector as well. Ya just have to prepare to hunker down at all times.

Good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to try to have you feel a little better, the last two times there was a government shut down during the Clinton administration all federal employees were paid with interest for the time not working due to the shutdown. I can't imagine it will be any different this time. Plus, can your wife apply for unemployment? Is she likely to be hired back once the government shut down is over?

I'm just glad that you've been smart enough to save and plan ahead. Too many folks are living paycheck to paycheck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Holmes
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
Brawling Brothers!
badge
Team Brandon!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!! Yes she already has applied for the Unemployment, and unfortunately I'm not a federal employee just a DOD contractor so I don't think we get paid back for missed time... Soooo right now I'm on my 40 hours sick time then I"ll go into my 58 hours of vacation... hopefully it will be over by then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1000rpm wrote:
My understanding is that the reason a new ceiling cannot get agreed is due to political infighting rather than thought about the US financial future, but I'm assuming some people must be thinking about that?

To add confusion to your confusion, the current shutdown/furlough isn't related to the debt ceiling at all - that is another debate, due a few weeks from now.

The current shutdown is simply regarding passing a budget - actually what a Westminster System of Parliament would refer to as a 'supply bill'.

Over most of the summer, leaders of our two major parties hashed out a deal on what the current our-version-of-a-supply-bill would look like, and when it came time to vote on out, the majority party in our lower house tacked on a bunch of unrelated-to-the-supply-bill legislation (the "defunding Obamacare" items). As this was a bit out of the blue, and in contradiction to the negotiated bill that was planned for vote, our upper house rejected that bill, and...

Well, it's been back and forth ever since.

The nuance of the system is that the head of the lower house (Speaker John Boehner, at the moment) is elected by the majority party. And that leads to an interesting situation where 51% (the largest portion of the majority party) OF the majority party (which may itself be only 51% of the government)...or about 26% of the actual government...can throw a monkey wrench in the whole thing.

And that's exactly what is happening, here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.