Popular Tags: [View All]
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the following update on CSW this afternoon.

Time for one of the bigger updates. I've briefed JB on the status and now will do the same for you.

RULES (GENERAL)
•All rules edited
•All rules illustrated
•All graphics files created
•All three have the updated Crisis at the Meuse
•All three have final indexes done
•All three have final calendars done

PLAYER AIDS (GENERAL)
•2P aids - reviewed and ready
•GS aids - reviewed and ready - except for final cross-reference check (requested today)
•AS aids - need to be revised based on heavy rules editing and input (JF and JB to begin)

2P SPECIFIC STATUS - ready for composition

GS SPECIFIC STATUS - cross-reference check requested - when done - GS will be ready for composition

AS SPECIFIC STATUS - The big work is here
•JB - detailed rules proofing - iterate with JF until perfect.
•THEN - time to update player aids - JF will do the work but JB will advise on movement methods
•Once these are done - I am going to ask two key proofreaders to proof and iterate back with me.
•Once these cycles are done - I will ask for the index cross-ref check •That will make AS ready for composition

CARDS
•Final proofing in progress (almost done) - this will make them releasable for production

COUNTERS
•Final proofing to be started - this will make them releasable for production

MAPS
•We have changes to the calendars and on-map boxes - will be iterating with our artist on these to reach closure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting the status report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe this is the most rigorous developmental process I've been exposed to.

I feel like I owe you a beer, John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNamara
United States
Matthews
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Every update gets me more excited!! This game sounds epic. Thanks for the labor of love.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Manuel Moreno Ramos
Spain
Cádiz
Cádiz
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for inform us about these!

I hope we can get your game soon!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your positive, supportive comments and your enthusiasm. I really appreciate it (and Scott, my friend, we'll share a nice glass together, since if you buy for me, I'll also buy for you).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to temper any greatly appreciated enthusiasm, I want to make sure that a few key words I used in the update are well-understood.

READY FOR COMPOSITION - this means that the inputs are ready for (but not yet delivered to) Mr Ken Dingley who will "compose" the final. Composition includes composition design, layout, esthetic choices, creation of final graphics, headers, footers, pagination, styles, connecting the numeration of the sections to the table of contents and index and all manner of expert detail. So - READY - means "not yet started".

When my update says "COMPOSED" that means we have something that looks ready to print, but then, I need to have "post-proofers" - that means - I want completely fresh eyes who would like to provide a couple of hours to time to scan, proof, triple-double-check.

RELEASABLE TO PRODUCTION - this means that master graphical files (upon final approval by me and John B) can be delivered formally to Mr Ken Dingley. At that point, he and Bill Thomas can determine which vendor(s) will do the work, when, for how much, and all the blueline checking, printing and delivery, etc that happens. So - RELEASABLE - means "not yet released".

When my update says "RELEASED" that means that the master files have been delivered by Mr Tim Schleif to Mr Ken Dingley.

MINOR PROCESS UPDATE

John B is proofing the cards (four different decks amounting to 110 cards total) and will do one last pass on the counters. We're going to do the last iteration together on all three maps (based on changes submitted to Tim).

Scott S is going to do the cross-reference inspection on the GS rules (and later the AS rules).

I am now readying the player aids for a different kind of inspection wave. I need proofers to START with the player aids in hand and then inspect them by going back to the source reference in the rules to ensure that the process of going FROM the aid BACK to the source is logical and correct and that the aid summary is effective.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Foley
United States
Warren
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted the following update on CSW just now.

Quote:
Since last major report, a ton of work has been going on down in the cave, but we have not yet moved forward into final composition and production just yet.

So I revised my internal project plan approach, instead of feeding the first complete set of rules into composition and then turning to the second set (and so on), I simply continued working through all three sets to completion.

Since the last major update, I've had multiple proofing iterations with JB, followed by inputs from Tom Kassel and Jon Gautier, and now back to iterations with JB. I'll note that each of my major proofreaders (Tom K, Jon G, Chad Mekash and Marty Sample) delivered different kinds of observations onto a particular rule set, which I then transported to the other rule sets they were not looking at. The same goes with my "software inspection guru", Scott Steffan.

So now the rules (includes indexes, calendars, illustrations) for all three games are ready for composition.

The maps are still stable. I have a few more nits on the counters unearthed by the additional proofreading passes - nits meaning - "not errors" but cosmetic items that should just be nudged. Same with the command cards.

So - what is next?

The player aids have all been aligned and extensively proofed but what I want is a validation pass where the proofreader uses the aid as the starting point and then looks back into the rules/materials to see if there is a correct reference, a correct match (from the summary on the aid to the rules), and a proper, effective match (sufficient information in the summary to execute).

Given the time of year and various priorities, I am looking for a two-week turnaround for one rule set (where you use the aids as the starting point, line-by-line, word-by-word, symbol-by-symbol, reference-by-reference and go back to the rules. I think it's better if you have not already seen the materials yet (and stay confined to just a single rule set for freshness).

So - if you have the interest and then time to perform this task and provide a careful report, please write to me via the profile email address.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.