The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarifying Action Windows rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Owen Compton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Action windows in customisable card games are probably one of the most irritating things, I appreciate why they're there and if you play a lot then you get good at knowing how they work, but I often have to help my parents out when playing this game as we're all casual players of just the core set from time to time (though I have more experience from FFGs other LCGs). Anyway a situation came up in one of their games recently and I wasn't sure how it should work.

The timing chart in the back of the rulebook implies that you can play an action any time after most of the steps in combat. So my mum had decided to block a creature with 2 attack with one of her heroes on the expectation that it wouldn't do enough damage to kill her hero. The shadow card flips over giving the creature +1 attack, enough to kill her defending hero. Having resolved the shadow card step, but before the damage resolution step, can 'A Light in the Dark' now be played to send the creature back to the staging area and avoid killing the hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

FFG's timing rules in particular are really hard to grasp, but I do know that you do have an action window in-between the resolution of the Shadow card and the resolution of the attack.

What you don't have is an opportunity to play an action between the shadow card being revealed and its effect resolving (although Response: effects can be played).

The rules in question are on page 18. In particular, "Players may take event cards and take actions at the end of each step."

The steps of resolving enemy attacks are:

1. Choose an enemy
2. Declare Defender
3. Resolve shadow effect
4. Determine combat damage

So, in Step 3, the shadow card is flipped and resolves its effect. After it has finished resolving, you can play actions such as sending the creature back to the staging area. It then never gets to stage 4.

Cheers,
Merric
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Cards like Feint or Light in the Dark a a bit special, even if timing would allow them to be played, you cannot abort an attack like that once it is started. Basically, once you perform "point at an opponent and announce you're going to resolve him", it's too late to completely cancel the attack. I assume this is done so that attack negaters don't double as negaters of (known via normal flip, bad) shadow cards and you'd need specialized cards for that.

Apart from that, I feel Lotr is actually less fiddly than many card games when it comes to action windows, mainly because you don't need to worry about pvp effects at all - any timing clash between players is simply resolved in the players' favor. This leaves timing clashes with the game engine, for this I like the summary "Imagine it's a computer. When the cursor is in "spinning hourglass mode", you can't do actions." because that covers about everything without needing to go into useless minutiae.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys jo
msg tools
You may play Light in the Dark after resolving shadow before assigning damage.
However, changing enemy's current location will not interfer with attacking enemy or defending character/player.

So unless you have way of sending that enemy outside of play (such as Sneak Attack Gandalf to deal enough damage), that enemy will deal damage to the defending character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Tempel
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ys jo is right. From p. 6 of the official FAQ (v. 1.5):

(1.32) Mid-Attack Control or Engagement Change
If a card involved in combat changes control, is
returned to the staging area, or engages another player
during the resolution of an attack, that attack still
resolves with the card still participating from its new
state.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.