United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
Continued from the Teen Titans post: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/13586316#13586316

I thought that it would be fun to have 2 on 2 team games of the Titans versus the H.I.V.E. I also experimented with some new game mechanics.

Jinx has luck based powers, and I thought it would be neat to thematically integrate it. The offer of a possible free card from the deck is too hard to pass, although you may have better luck guessing your own deck instead.

Gizmo is all about the tech. He has no other strengths. I was inspired to give him a stacked ability, and here it is.

Booster Gold is the only official character that will have a defensive power. I wanted to make one as well. If you end up discarding a good card from your deck, your chances of defending are higher. If you discard all starters, then at least you cycle them out.

Mammoth is the first character with a built in attack. It's not too powerful, and may actually help your opponents, but I think it fits.
Edit: His power may actually be too good. I have added the 2nd copy, which has the power I originally conceived for him.

I experimented with a new concept: alternative start deck. See-More was the first to have it. (2 more characters coming up). The +1 attack wasn't that good, so I added in the thematic vision card clause. Untested, but thematic.

More characters to come, as well as some game variants to fit the new characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You might want to specify non-Starter for Jinx, as otherwise her first hand will always be 6 cards.

Mammoth's Attack is definitely too strong. Random discard is way more annoying than chosen; AND you get to play the card? Yikes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
You might want to specify non-Starter for Jinx, as otherwise her first hand will always be 6 cards.

Mammoth's Attack is definitely too strong. Random discard is way more annoying than chosen; AND you get to play the card? Yikes.

At the moment, I'm not bothered by Jinx potentially drawing a starting hand of 6 cards. To do so she has to forfeit her chance at a free card to get possibly a punch, which isn't going to break anything. Eventually, if she keeps saying 'starter', she won't be getting anything. I already removed her synergy with power ring and nth metal by forcing the effect at the start of the turn.

I think Mammoth will be stronger in lower player games. In a 2 player game it will probably be gigantically annoying, but in a 5 player game I don't see it being uneven. But a character should not have a scaling power, so I guess it needs some thought. Original mammoth had: "If you play 2 punches on your turn, draw a card. You may destroy that card." I really didn't have much inspiration. The ability he has now was a concept for Kyd Wykkid, but I applied the ability to Mammoth instead and left Kyd in the dust.
I still want him to have an attack power, because I like the concept.

EDIT: Original Mammoth concept added to original post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many are getting overhauls after playtesting. I'll post final versions sometime this week, likely.

EDIT: Erm, when they're ready, actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.