United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I was recently laid-off from my job here in Florida and will be moving back to the good ol' Midwest.

I was fortunate enough to line-up a really good interview with a company in Milwaukee that handles software and networking for Banks and such. I have an IT background and my only credentials are my Security+ certification and several recent years of IT monitoring and repairing (mostly via a text-based interface and phone consulting).

I've only started working on my CCNA so I'm not feeling terribly qualified but we desperately need this job. I'm a super fast learner and want to do some last-minute remedial and new studying on networking. Specifically installation of routers, load balancers, switches, and firewalls. Also some troubleshooting knowledge to add to what I have would be nice, as well.

Can anyone recommend a good website that:

1. Isn't death boring
2. Can meet these teaching needs
3. Doesn't get terribly bogged down and is easy to understand?

Thanks - it's not that I don't have enough experience or knowledge but I'm doubting my capabilities for some reason and I'm worried that I'll somehow bomb this interview.

PS. Noah is doing great (for those who know my family and my son). Super healthy, happy, growing like a weed. So far, so good. We're happy to be getting him back to the Midwest where there are some great medical facilities for him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmb
I wish you all the best, Anthony.

wytefang wrote:
Noah is doing great

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear Noah is doing so well!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any advice out there? Sites to check out? Anyone, Bueller? Bueller?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Dahlstrom
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
(This is a picture of a frozen waterfall, from behind the waterfall)
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know any such websites, but maybe it would help if you described the position you're applying for? Maybe people can give you advice about how to do well in the interview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
admin
Convention Committee
badge
BGG.CON! BGG.CON SPRING! BGG@SEA!
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I was fortunate enough to line-up a really good interview with a company in Milwaukee that handles software and networking for Banks and such.

You never know, someone here might work for that company. Maybe. (cough, cough) If the company is who I *think* it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's called FIS Global. Seems like a wonderful company, from what I've seen so far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
It's called FIS Global. Seems like a wonderful company, from what I've seen so far.

Well.. If you get the job, you'll definitely have a lot of work to do there. I know two guys that quit in the past year. They hated the management there. One guy was in IT security, the other guy was a network architect.

http://threatpost.com/fic-breach-a-broader-network-hack

You might want to check out GE Medical or Kohls as they are both in that area and I hear are decent employers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine that any anecdotal reports are best taken with a grain of salt. Different people work differently under different types of leadership.

I've heard some good stuff about the place so far. Either way, there's an old saying that's quite apropos when it comes to job-searching - particularly after one has already lost their job and has small children to feed and a pregnant wife to take care of - penniless requesters of financial assistance cannot be selective choice makers.

Thank you for sharing that link, however, I feel it will help me further understand some of the issues that threaten FIS both in the recent past and in the potential future. That may help during my interview. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, huge thanks to the 14 folks who thumbed my thread. I appreciate it, folks. You guys rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If a place goes with certs over work experience, it can't be very good. Don't sweat it, and just nail interviews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thompson
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently passed my CCNA. 9tut is a good website for specifically exam prep. As far as training websites go, I'm not too sure. I get a lot of my knowledge from books. Also, as far as interviews go, do some research on the STAR interview technique. I used it successfully to get my last two jobs (in the last 12 months). Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.