Subject: New Player - need advice on which expansions to get! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Johns
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mb
Hi! Im currently learning the game and I was wondering which expansions are considered "vital" or if any were utter trash that should be avoided. I had an eye on Rebels vs Imperium mostly because it seems like it would add in some player interaction (not necessary for all games, but if it's well done, then why not?)

A caveat; I mostly play games with my fiancee, so Im mostly looking for expansions that work well with that two player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the base and the first expansion, which fleshes out some strategies with the base. The rest are meh- they really change the game itself, which I don't care for.YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Goch
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an FYI that each expansion is dependent on the previous one and, if you want more than one, you need to get them in order: Gathering Storm, Rebel vs Imperium then Brink of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Davison
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Middle Aged Mutant Lit Major Turtle
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend the first two expansions. The first expansion added objectives that really drive competition. The second expansion added the ability to use military to steal opponents' worlds. It happens extremely rarely but really deepens the tension in two player games.

The third expansions introduces some interesting cards and home worlds. But the whole prestige mechanic really shifts the game from a balanced consume/military strategy to almost exclusively acquiring Prestige.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Lloyd
United Kingdom
York
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
You reading my badge OverText?
badge
Yes! Mage Knight is such a great game I have dedicated my avatar to it.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to wait and see what Alien Artifacts will be like. It will be released soon and will be incompatible with earlier expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
Luscious Willard wrote:
But the whole prestige mechanic really shifts the game from a balanced consume/military strategy to almost exclusively acquiring Prestige.

That's only true if everyone involved is both fairly poor at the game, and not interested in learning or improving.

That you think the game is merely a balance between consume and military pretty much says it all. :/

Prestige is only the new shiny; it's actually a balanced part of the effective player's arsenal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found that the first expansion, for me, is the only necessary one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan B
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
Just the base and the first expansion, which fleshes out some strategies with the base. The rest are meh- they really change the game itself, which I don't care for.YMMV.

Deathstroke wrote:
I've found that the first expansion, for me, is the only necessary one.

I agree with these sentiments. I think the first expansion further balances the base game. With expansion 2&3 the game gets fiddlier and longer, and one of my favourite things about the game is that it's fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico
Italy
Val di Non
Trentino
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yobo93 wrote:
Hi! Im currently learning the game and I was wondering which expansions are considered "vital" or if any were utter trash that should be avoided. I had an eye on Rebels vs Imperium mostly because it seems like it would add in some player interaction (not necessary for all games, but if it's well done, then why not?)

A caveat; I mostly play games with my fiancee, so Im mostly looking for expansions that work well with that two player game.

I'd say that no one expansion is vital and no one is trash. All expansions work well 2p.

For each expansion you add, you tend to add complexity; because of this, I'd stay on the base game for a while and add an expansion only when you feel like you know the base game well and want more.

The first expansion, Gathering Storm, should be a sure bet. It doesn't add many cards, but it introduces the goals and widens a bit your strategical possibilities.

If after adding the first you'll feel like wanting more complexity, try the next one (and so on). Remember that goals (from exp1) and takeovers (from exp2) are optional, so you can avoid them if you don't like them.

You could also wait for Alien Artifacts to be released late this year. It's different than the other three expansions, and they should not be played together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's no hurry - I've had RftG for about 6 months & think I'll get TGS at Christmas. Race was released in 2007 and one expansion was released each of the 3 years after that, so buying one expansion a year wouldn't be unreasonable. I'm probably the only person who isn't is a massive hurry for AA to come out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
If you are new, there is no need to ramp up the expansions, as complexity rises with each. The base game is completely fine and does not need any "fixing". That's why I recommend simply adding expansions one by one after you feel that you get bored with what you have (it can happen after 50 plays or after 500).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Youngblood
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:

I second this.

The 2nd expansion is nice, the third is only for the really hardcore as it adds alot of fiddlyness with prestige that seems like more work than it's worth.

Base + first expansion is a very solid investment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the expansions in order but don't bother expanding the game until you need variety (as stated earlier). You get a complete game with just the base set.

championstyle wrote:
The 2nd expansion is nice, the third is only for the really hardcore as it adds alot of fiddlyness with prestige that seems like more work than it's worth.

Prestige is at most slightly more complex than vp chips. The added complexity mainly comes from a few cards and the added role card. The bigger objections tend to come more from the altered balance in the game and how powercreep starts to kick in. Points in the third expansion's favor are greater depth and variety.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
yobo93 wrote:

I'd say the first expansion (Gathering Storm) is pretty much vital--it adds extra start homeworlds and a few other cards that help flesh out strategies that are less effective in the basic game, and it balances things out well (it really only adds, like, 20 cards to the set, really). I mean, like, the game works fine without the first expansion, but it works better with the firs expansion added in.

The second expansion (Rebel vs Imperium) adds a lot of new cards and a new mechanic (Takeovers, where you can steal planets from your opponents once and a while) which you may or may not like.

The third expansion (Brink of War) adds, as has been pointed out, a very significant whole new mechanic (Prestige), which changes the game a lot, and is something you may or may not be interested in.

So I'd be inclined to get Gathering Storm soon; RvI is good if you really like the game and want to expand it. BoW is something you'll want if you grow tired of how the game works with just the first two expansions and want the game to greatly expand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:

This is basically it. The base set is fine as is, and if you want an expansion, the first works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Squiz
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theflint wrote:
If you are new, there is no need to ramp up the expansions, as complexity rises with each. The base game is completely fine and does not need any "fixing". That's why I recommend simply adding expansions one by one after you feel that you get bored with what you have (it can happen after 50 plays or after 500).

I'd agree with that. No need to rush into the expansions if you are still learning the game.

That said i have played the majority of my Race games with TGS and RvI expansions added in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.