Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Pointless knowledge about games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I re-sleeved and re-organized my copy of Cosmic encounter including all current expansions, while sorting things I asked myself if all the letter are used for the different alien names...I know weird thought but it happens when you take sleeves off and back on for about 400 cards...I thought let's share my finding and maybe other people can share some of the things they know about games that maybe we really shouldn't admit to knowing in the first place

Cosmic Encounter

No Aliens that start with the letters: J, Q, U, Y
Only one Alien each for those letters: K, N, X, Z
Most Aliens start with the letter: S (19), C (14), M (13)

Your turn....
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
For the base Carcassonne game, I know all the different types of tiles, and exactly how many there are of each. (And I usually count how many are out and how many are left during the game, to figure out my strategy)

This came from quite a few years of competitive Carcassonne games with a previous board game club, and participation in the annual tournaments (I came 3rd one year, but I'm still striving to top that and win the trip to Essen)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh wow, that's impressive, I think I couldn't even tell HOW MANY tiles there are You will be glad to know that once they introduce the game in casinos
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Tom Vasel I know that Dixit comes with 84 cards. I probably will never forget it. Hopefully that shows up on Jeopardy sometime.

Game rules become like old songs. You might not realize you have the knowledge stored in there but when it starts playing, you find you know most of the lyrics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Very true, seems the only thing I constantly forget is the starting hands for any game that involves cards, they should try to standardize that
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
All family members in Agricola are really fat and really short.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
flag msg tools
You Greeks are always children!
badge
Jean Gabin in La Grande Illusion
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two Vs in a set of Scrabble tiles.

They often show up uninvited and at the same time.

Get rid of them with VAV
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles in Tsuro are all unique, and represent all the possible combinations of paths on a tile.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
A number of obscure and useless bits...

The Manhattan Project's original theme was about dog shows with your workers being different types of pet industry folk (breeders, trainers, groomers), and buildings being different types of dog breeds.

Vlaada Chvatil has 7 different BGG usernames so he can browse/comment/rate with anonymity. Most of his design ideas come from knspiration when browsing geek lists, searching random games, and trolling forums.

The future Netrunner data packs for 2014 have already been added to the geek but will not show up via searching (disabled in the database). If you type the URL directly you can find them. Hint - there is a pattern to the data pack names whih helps identify the starting letter of new packs.

Battlestar Galactica was originally supposed to be a miniature fighting board game like Star Wars Epic Duels. Molds for the minis were manufactured and prototype figures are currently on display in the FFG office.

FFG launched a kickstarter campaign for the Planet Steam reprint but took it down within 4 hours. An image of the mocked up stretch goals is floating around the net with the most prominent reward being the unlocking of a several thousand dollar pledge level that has someone taking a mock airship ride in a hot air balloon FFG constructed with a steam punk facade.

Tom Vasel broke his foot last year during the epic component drop of Twilight Imperium 3. Now he has his kids do the drops and they actually wear protective eye-ware.

Reiner Knizia is not a real person. It's a pseudonym a group of game designers publish under to maintain an image. This is the reason for the wide disparity in quality and the large volume of releases. If you have the first printing of Tigris and Euphrates you can actually see the real designers name in the credits.



6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
A number of obscure and useless bits...

The Manhattan Project's original theme was about dog shows with your workers being different types of pet industry folk (breeders, trainers, groomers), and buildings being different types of dog breeds.

Vlaada Chvatil has 7 different BGG usernames so he can browse/comment/rate with anonymity. Most of his design ideas come from knspiration when browsing geek lists, searching random games, and trolling forums.

The future Netrunner data packs for 2014 have already been added to the geek but will not show up via searching (disabled in the database). If you type the URL directly you can find them. Hint - there is a pattern to the data pack names whih helps identify the starting letter of new packs.

Battlestar Galactica was originally supposed to be a miniature fighting board game like Star Wars Epic Duels. Molds for the minis were manufactured and prototype figures are currently on display in the FFG office.

FFG launched a kickstarter campaign for the Planet Steam reprint but took it down within 4 hours. An image of the mocked up stretch goals is floating around the net with the most prominent reward being the unlocking of a several thousand dollar pledge level that has someone taking a mock airship ride in a hot air balloon FFG constructed with a steam punk facade.

Tom Vasel broke his foot last year during the epic component drop of Twilight Imperium 3. Now he has his kids do the drops and they actually wear protective eye-ware.

Reiner Knizia is not a real person. It's a pseudonym a group of game designers publish under to maintain an image. This is the reason for the wide disparity in quality and the large volume of releases. If you have the first printing of Tigris and Euphrates you can actually see the real designers name in the credits.





Consider to write a little coffee table book with these great read! Not sure about the last one with Reiner
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XSylarX wrote:
charlest wrote:
A number of obscure and useless bits...

The Manhattan Project's original theme was about dog shows with your workers being different types of pet industry folk (breeders, trainers, groomers), and buildings being different types of dog breeds.

Vlaada Chvatil has 7 different BGG usernames so he can browse/comment/rate with anonymity. Most of his design ideas come from knspiration when browsing geek lists, searching random games, and trolling forums.

The future Netrunner data packs for 2014 have already been added to the geek but will not show up via searching (disabled in the database). If you type the URL directly you can find them. Hint - there is a pattern to the data pack names whih helps identify the starting letter of new packs.

Battlestar Galactica was originally supposed to be a miniature fighting board game like Star Wars Epic Duels. Molds for the minis were manufactured and prototype figures are currently on display in the FFG office.

FFG launched a kickstarter campaign for the Planet Steam reprint but took it down within 4 hours. An image of the mocked up stretch goals is floating around the net with the most prominent reward being the unlocking of a several thousand dollar pledge level that has someone taking a mock airship ride in a hot air balloon FFG constructed with a steam punk facade.

Tom Vasel broke his foot last year during the epic component drop of Twilight Imperium 3. Now he has his kids do the drops and they actually wear protective eye-ware.

Reiner Knizia is not a real person. It's a pseudonym a group of game designers publish under to maintain an image. This is the reason for the wide disparity in quality and the large volume of releases. If you have the first printing of Tigris and Euphrates you can actually see the real designers name in the credits.





Consider to write a little coffee table book with these great read! Not sure about the last one with Reiner


A few of these sound rather questionable......
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Pranno
United States
Chardon
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheDashi wrote:
XSylarX wrote:
charlest wrote:
A number of obscure and useless bits...

The Manhattan Project's original theme was about dog shows with your workers being different types of pet industry folk (breeders, trainers, groomers), and buildings being different types of dog breeds.

Vlaada Chvatil has 7 different BGG usernames so he can browse/comment/rate with anonymity. Most of his design ideas come from knspiration when browsing geek lists, searching random games, and trolling forums.

The future Netrunner data packs for 2014 have already been added to the geek but will not show up via searching (disabled in the database). If you type the URL directly you can find them. Hint - there is a pattern to the data pack names whih helps identify the starting letter of new packs.

Battlestar Galactica was originally supposed to be a miniature fighting board game like Star Wars Epic Duels. Molds for the minis were manufactured and prototype figures are currently on display in the FFG office.

FFG launched a kickstarter campaign for the Planet Steam reprint but took it down within 4 hours. An image of the mocked up stretch goals is floating around the net with the most prominent reward being the unlocking of a several thousand dollar pledge level that has someone taking a mock airship ride in a hot air balloon FFG constructed with a steam punk facade.

Tom Vasel broke his foot last year during the epic component drop of Twilight Imperium 3. Now he has his kids do the drops and they actually wear protective eye-ware.

Reiner Knizia is not a real person. It's a pseudonym a group of game designers publish under to maintain an image. This is the reason for the wide disparity in quality and the large volume of releases. If you have the first printing of Tigris and Euphrates you can actually see the real designers name in the credits.





Consider to write a little coffee table book with these great read! Not sure about the last one with Reiner


A few of these sound rather questionable......

Only a few?
1 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mcpranno wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
XSylarX wrote:
charlest wrote:
A number of obscure and useless bits...

The Manhattan Project's original theme was about dog shows with your workers being different types of pet industry folk (breeders, trainers, groomers), and buildings being different types of dog breeds.

Vlaada Chvatil has 7 different BGG usernames so he can browse/comment/rate with anonymity. Most of his design ideas come from knspiration when browsing geek lists, searching random games, and trolling forums.

The future Netrunner data packs for 2014 have already been added to the geek but will not show up via searching (disabled in the database). If you type the URL directly you can find them. Hint - there is a pattern to the data pack names whih helps identify the starting letter of new packs.

Battlestar Galactica was originally supposed to be a miniature fighting board game like Star Wars Epic Duels. Molds for the minis were manufactured and prototype figures are currently on display in the FFG office.

FFG launched a kickstarter campaign for the Planet Steam reprint but took it down within 4 hours. An image of the mocked up stretch goals is floating around the net with the most prominent reward being the unlocking of a several thousand dollar pledge level that has someone taking a mock airship ride in a hot air balloon FFG constructed with a steam punk facade.

Tom Vasel broke his foot last year during the epic component drop of Twilight Imperium 3. Now he has his kids do the drops and they actually wear protective eye-ware.

Reiner Knizia is not a real person. It's a pseudonym a group of game designers publish under to maintain an image. This is the reason for the wide disparity in quality and the large volume of releases. If you have the first printing of Tigris and Euphrates you can actually see the real designers name in the credits.





Consider to write a little coffee table book with these great read! Not sure about the last one with Reiner


A few of these sound rather questionable......

Only a few?


Your lack of faith disturbs me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrill Lampart
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
charlest wrote:
mcpranno wrote:
TheDashi wrote:
XSylarX wrote:
charlest wrote:
A number of obscure and useless bits...

The Manhattan Project's original theme was about dog shows with your workers being different types of pet industry folk (breeders, trainers, groomers), and buildings being different types of dog breeds.

Vlaada Chvatil has 7 different BGG usernames so he can browse/comment/rate with anonymity. Most of his design ideas come from knspiration when browsing geek lists, searching random games, and trolling forums.

The future Netrunner data packs for 2014 have already been added to the geek but will not show up via searching (disabled in the database). If you type the URL directly you can find them. Hint - there is a pattern to the data pack names whih helps identify the starting letter of new packs.

Battlestar Galactica was originally supposed to be a miniature fighting board game like Star Wars Epic Duels. Molds for the minis were manufactured and prototype figures are currently on display in the FFG office.

FFG launched a kickstarter campaign for the Planet Steam reprint but took it down within 4 hours. An image of the mocked up stretch goals is floating around the net with the most prominent reward being the unlocking of a several thousand dollar pledge level that has someone taking a mock airship ride in a hot air balloon FFG constructed with a steam punk facade.

Tom Vasel broke his foot last year during the epic component drop of Twilight Imperium 3. Now he has his kids do the drops and they actually wear protective eye-ware.

Reiner Knizia is not a real person. It's a pseudonym a group of game designers publish under to maintain an image. This is the reason for the wide disparity in quality and the large volume of releases. If you have the first printing of Tigris and Euphrates you can actually see the real designers name in the credits.





Consider to write a little coffee table book with these great read! Not sure about the last one with Reiner


A few of these sound rather questionable......

Only a few?


Your lack of faith disturbs me.


They are entertaining nevertheless

"Faith is the great cop-out, the great excuse to evade the need to think and evaluate evidence. Faith is belief in spite of, even perhaps because of, the lack of evidence."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
walloftruth
United States
Adrian
MI
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Go
The board game Go, or Igo, is one of the oldest known games to exist, dating back several thousands of years to ancient Asia.

Japanese generals used to play it during their war councils in order to understand battlefield strategy and positioning.

It inspired a cute anime called Hikaru no Go.

The game has developed hundreds of little accompanying proverbs for situational plays, such as "Don't go fishing when your house in on fire." -meaning don't exert influence in unimportant regions when a much more important zone is being threatened- and "Don't throw eggs at a wall" -meaning don't waste moves attempting to accomplish the impossible.-
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.