Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello fellow gamers,

The story so far, feel free to skip to the main question below.

It's been too long since I've played a miniature war game. Not too long ago I wasn't even playing any games at all . Finally a year or so ago I wondered into my old game store and picked up my first new game in quite a while and asked my non-gaming lady friend if she would give it a whirl. A hand full months later we have a full shelf of games and she has her own dice bag! Recently I picked up Battles of Westerose to see if my lady would find that type of game enjoyable. She did. Latter we found ourselves painting the figs from Mansions of Madness. She also enjoyed painting minis. At this point I said to myself, dare I suggest a miniature war game? She was intrigued. The research began...

Main Question

I'm looking for some recommendations on a table top miniature war game. My all time favorite was Necromunda which I loved for several reasons. The manner in which the gangs and individual members gained experience, evolved, could become forever altered, killed, or even taken hostage. I also found the skirmish sized battles, fluff and look of the game appealing and from what I can remember the well written non-conflicting rules. I no longer have any of the game and have no interest in playing a unsupported out of print game. Below please find a list of traits I find desirable followed by a list of what I find undesirable in a war game and if you have any suggestions by all means please throw them out there. If you wouldn't mind I would love to hear a few highlights of the game and/or why you believe it to be a good fit.

Desirable Traits

1. Skirmish sized battles. I'm not looking for a full on army battle. A game with skirmish to large scale would be acceptable.

2. Dice rolling.

3. Not a must have but a big plus would be games with some degree evolving units or perhaps some type of optional campaign rules.

4. Future, fantasy, or alternate reality theme.

5. A solid index in the rule book would be a big plus.

6. Currently in print and properly supported.

Undesirable Traits

1. Historical theme.

2. A board.

3. Open to interpretation rulles.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thank you for your time,
Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Infinity, some of the best model sculpts out there right now and the rules are free to download, although the printed books look very nice. Meets all 6 of your requirements.

Some others you could consider: dark age, dust tactics, malifaux, pulp city, deepwars, or maybe warmachine/hordes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim M-L
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would pick Song of Blades and Heroes. It is a fantasy game designed to use any miniatures you might want. The core of the rules is easy to grasp, but there are lots of special abilities and scenarios to make each game different. The basic rules have a campaign where individuals and the team advance, and this can be further expanded with an advanced campaign in Song of Deeds and Glory. The only requirement that it does not meet is an index, although there is table of contents and an index to the special abilities available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Warmachine or Hordes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
X Topher
United States
Highland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Warmachine and Hordes, but I'd have to second Infinity for that Necromunda style feel. (Also one of my faves.) The rules are online for FREE, and really you just need a starter box to play. The battles are skirmish level, using less than 10 models per side. It's also very terrain heavy because shooting is reactionary. (Enemy models can shoot on your turn!)

There is also a campaign book you can get for Infinity for continuity, although I'm not positive the units carry over in the same way.

You could also just play Necromunda again. The rules are online for free I believe. You can still find gang sets from GW and ebay pretty easily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummmm...

(Not that it has your #3 item at the moment - although supposedly new play modes are coming out in 2014. And note that the minis, here, are all pre-painted...so if painting is a big part of why you'd like miniature games, this one won't really help you, either. On the other hand, it's in print, well supported, and did I mention IT'S FLIPPIN' STAR WARS?!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
SONG OF BLADES AND HEROES is a good choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Cuchulain
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
If you are Tolkien fans then the Hobbit Stategy Battle Game (previously LOTR SBG) by Games Workshop is a fantastic skirmish game. The miniatures are top notch, though quite pricey if bought at full RRP. There are plenty of bargains on ebay though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all for your recommendations. I have eliminated a few recommendation and am currently reviewing a few of the others.

LOTR and Star Wars:
My lady friend just isn't a fan of star wars or LOTR so they got bumped off the list.

Song of Blades and Heroes:
I can't quite wrap my head around how this work out well with any miniatures but am intrigued enough to pick up the rules just to have look.

Warmachine, Hordes, and Infinity:
It's my intention to read up on the rules for these as after looking around I was leaning toward one of the three. So far Infinity seems to be in the lead based on some of the feedback received here.

Necromunda:
Some years back I did try to re-accumulate my forces via ebay and other routs. Games specialest still had a few items at the time. I found the experience frustrating for a few reasons and that experience let me to avoiding unsupported games. Also trying to get someone else to join in was difficult. If it should ever get a reboot I'd be all over it.

Thanks again and I'll be sure to post the outcome of the search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Personman10 wrote:
Desirable Traits

1. Skirmish sized battles. I'm not looking for a full on army battle. A game with skirmish to large scale would be acceptable.

2. Dice rolling.

3. Not a must have but a big plus would be games with some degree evolving units or perhaps some type of optional campaign rules.

4. Future, fantasy, or alternate reality theme.

5. A solid index in the rule book would be a big plus.

6. Currently in print and properly supported.

While 6. is, technically, not true (yet), you could take a look at the upcoming Shadowrun Sprawl Gangers (announced for late 2013, though who knows if it will be pushed back or not), when it comes out. It borrows heavily from Necromunda.

Infinity is a good choice, too, though it is quite complex, I think.

Other than that...

Some nice, simple skirmish games are Freebooter's Fate and EDEN.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Horner
United Kingdom
Forres
Moray
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Todd
I know this recommendation might sound odd, but head over to the link and read a session report.

Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory!

Could always modify the setting from old west to cyberpunk.

Cheers

Kev

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SHADOWRUN!?!
I'm actually a long time shadowrun player since 2nd edition. If there is a Necromunda style Shadowrun miniature skirmish coming out this year I'm all over it. I kind of feel like I need to be pinched right now cause I might be dreaming, though if I am no one pinch me. As this game is supposed to be released in fall/winter of this year and it's october I'll hold of on starting anything up till I can get and review the rule book once available. So long as the rules are solid/stack up against the games I've liked so far I think we found a winner. A big thanks for the heads up on this one Thanee.

Thanks again to all who contributed.
Todd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.