8 Posts

Mascarade» Forums » General

Subject: Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Snow Bunny
msg tools
mb
I think you should create an expansion with the 2 promo's and more characters like "Princess" or "Knight". This is already a fantastic game more variety would only make it more fun. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree.

More variety keeps the game exciting and fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bruno faidutti
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
Mascarade sells very well and is calling for expansions.

The difficulty is in finding new chaacters whose effects are both as fun and as simple as in the basic box. That's what I failed to do in Citadels, where the expansion characters are more complex, less "straight to the point" than the original ones, and I don't want to make the same error with Mascarade.

We're already playtesting some new characters, and all fan ideas are welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just make sure you hire the same artist too! The cards are beautiful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snow Bunny
msg tools
mb
Expansion ideas:

-- Princess: Receive 2 gold from the bank and redistribute 1 gold from the richest player to the poorest player.

Strategy behind skill - If/when she becomes the richest player; she is redistributing her own wealth.

-- Knight: Take 2 gold from a player of your choice, if caught lying pay 2 gold to courthouse.

Strategy behind skill - Some games people set them selves up with 10+ coins then grab the cheat to win the next round. This card can defend against that tactic, and also a games where the richest play is not the player about to win. The reason for the increased penalty is because this is a targeted attack. Could also be used on a player with a low coin count to end the game since the player with the most money wins when someone is bankrupt

-- Tax Collector: Take 1 gold from the 3 richest players(do not count yourself even if you are the richest). You can not win while holding the Tax Collector card. Therefore you can go above the 13 coin count and still not win.

Strategy behind skill - Its all about taxing the rich

-- Courtesan: You may take your card and the cards of 2 other players and swap cards or not.

Strategy behind skill - Purely defensive skill. Adding a greater level of ambiguity to the game. Especially against players who are on the verge of winning.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
faidutti wrote:

The difficulty is in finding new chaacters whose effects are both as fun and as simple as in the basic box. That's what I failed to do in Citadels, where the expansion characters are more complex, less "straight to the point" than the original ones, and I don't want to make the same error with Mascarade.

We're already playtesting some new characters, and all fan ideas are welcome.

It would also be lovely to have some more blanks like the Beggar to allow for some modularity and fan-made characters. Even if a full expansion doesn't end up working out design-wise, a mini-expansion with blanks and maybe the promos would be a nice offering. They wouldn't need unique are as long as there was some way to differentiate between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your ideas Snow Bunny. There is a whole new mechanic there. It needs a name as its abilities effect you if it is revealed. So these "reveal" abilities can add a whole new dimension to the game by making people focus on the pros and cons of having their card flipped.

You could have a card that takes X gold from anyone who challenges them if they are flipped.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador C. Majoral
Andorra
Argentona, Barcelona
flag msg tools
faidutti wrote:

very happy to hear that! To me it is no doubt the game of the year!

faidutti wrote:

I think you are wrong there, that was not an error. Anybody buying an expansion it's because they like the game a lot and because they have played the game a lot and because they know the game very well, so they don't mind at all (or, very likely, they prefer) an increase in complexity and new contents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.