David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

About a year ago, I got some good advice about a computer problem but the problem still persisted. My original post is below. I feel like my machine is haunted. Over the year, I have replaced pretty much everything. I have a new motherboard, new RAM, new Power Supply, new processor chip, graphics card, hard drive. I took out the sound card and used the on-board sound, and it still hurts. The drivers are current, including the BIOS, I reinstalled the OS. I am even running the ASUS utility that monitors and checks things.

There is still a sound scratch sound, and the computer will Blue Screen on me. There have been 3 different types of Blue Screen:

"IRQL Not Less or Equal Than"
"Attempted to write to Read-Only Memory"
"Page Fault in Non-Paged Area"
or it is just blue with no white text.

This happens during a game, browsing the web, or just sitting there running.

I should have stopped when I was ahead. soblue

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Quote:
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone here could help figure out a problem I am having with my computer. Pretty much whenever I play a game on my cumputer, something odd happens. The games this happens in are primarily World of Warcraft and Vampire: Bloodlines. Other games are fine, even ones that have similar hardware requirements.

Here is what happens: I hear an odd clicking, crackle sound sporadically. Then sometimes the game will freeze up, save for the mouse, but the crackling is there, and then it completely freezes up, and music that is playing loops like a scratched record. And the scratchy noise is quite nasty sounding. I also noticed that my system clock is running fast for some reason.

Basic specs:
XP Pro
AMD 2500 Barton
Audigy 2 fancy sound card
1 gig RAM
Nvidia GeForce4 4800 or 5k something.

Any thoughts or theories?

I thank you for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
It is entirely possible that nothing is wrong with your computer, especially since you've experienced the same problems even after replacing lots of hardware.

I see that you're using XP Pro. Windows. By Microsoft. I think you see my point.

But just in case you don't see it, let me be more specific. Windows sucks. There, I've said it. I feel better.

Windows and Internet Exploder are just unstable, vulnerable, unreliable, erratic and don't always work with certain software for often inexplicable reasons, even when the OS, software, hardware and system specs are all verified compatible.

I'm sorry that I have no useful suggestions for you. But perhaps directing your anger at a rich dork rather than an innocent pile of metal and plastic will make you feel better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a network card or modem installed? And if so, have you tried removing those?

Also, check your installed components. Make sure nothing is touching the insides of the computer case that shouldn't be touching. You said you replaced your motherboard... is it fully isolated from the case? Are the screws you're using not touching more than the screw down points?

Also try unplugging the internal speaker if you have one.

Don't try all these at once. Try one at a time to isoloate the problem.

Are you positive you're not infected by a virus?

Good luck!

jeff

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

Thank you for the quick response. I checked to make sure the motherboard is not in contact with the case. Also, I removed the internal speaker, so there should be no issue there. As for virus goodness, I have run a full scan of the whole hard drive with a couple virus checking programs.

It pains me so, and yes, Windows hurts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendrick Curtis
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
XP Pro really shouldn't be that unstable. You could try going into your BIOS and disabling the onboard components you don't need - IRQ conflicts shouldn't be happening. It does also sound like you've got some bad RAM - I know you said you'd replaced it, but you might have gotten unlucky twice in a row. If you can test with some other stuff then that might help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
Corrupted registry?

Or for a bit of light reading...

http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
"IRQL Not Less or Equal Than"
"Attempted to write to Read-Only Memory"
"Page Fault in Non-Paged Area"

I frequently see these blue screens on machines at work. They are usually not related, though.

IRQL Not Less or Equal Than is a Windows driver error, usually caused by a bad or flaky driver, and happens when two devices try to access the same IRQ at the same time. Whenever I see this I usually either remove the last added device and find an alternate location for the drivers and reinstall them. Failing that, I use different hardware.

Alternately, the IRQL blue screen error happens when a drive is cloned rather than had a completely fresh install of XP. This is because the chipset drivers don't match when you use a different motherboard and this can have all sorts of unexpected results. To fix this, I find and download current drivers for everything, then SYSPREP the machine and let it do device detection clean.

Both of the second errors I have seen with faulty RAM most often, though they can sometimes be caused by applications. Replacing or moving the RAM to different sockets fixes this most often.

Microsoft has some fairly helpful documents in their Knowledge Base to help you decipher and work through these blue screens, but these particular ones can happen in so many different situations that you may have to weed through several of them before you find an article that pertains to your problem.

Lastly, if you can remember a period after you rebuilt the machine that everything did operate smoothly for awhile, you can do a System Rollback to that point to try and fix it. After which make very specific notes on any updates you do. If you haven't already ran all of your Windows Updates, make sure to do so.

I'd make priority number 1 finding current drivers for everything (especially for your chipset). Then I'd SYSPREP the box and re-do all hardware detection and installation.

One more thing--I've noticed some off-brand motherboards (such as Tyan) have motherboards whose IDE chains work very poorly with Windows XP. The 18xx series in particular demonstrated a lot of blue screens with Windows 2000 and XP, though these were usually "INACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE" system stops. To fix those we put a daughter card in with two IDE interfaces, and it made this go away. Check the forums for your motherboard manufacturer to make sure there are no reports of errors with your particular rev. This also goes back to chipset drivers; make absolutely sure you have the latest.

None of this may end up helping you, but these are things that have been successful for me in the past. Jot down your specific error code when you get a system stop and Google it. Check your Event Logs and look for system and application errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Peasemold
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
Peasemoldia
flag msg tools
mb
Hi,

i'm not an expert in these matters but it is very likely that you're problems are caused by " I also noticed that my system clock is running fast for some reason. ". Self-builders tend to overclock everything!! What about your RAM timings? Turn everything down and see if it makes a difference. The system freezes you have mentioned are often caused by basic incompatibilities between the AMD chipsets and either sound or graphic cards. Sometimes, the mobo/card makers will release a driver fix; but other times they will just ignore the problem. Once the word gets out, people will just stop buying that particular mobo/card if they have an AMD system.

I would start with research on the website of your mobo maker, then move onto the forums of your sound and graphics card manufacturers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.