Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Eikermann
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After playing the game about 10 times now, a question recently came up in the last two sessions.

Three of the four players had level two agriculture tech (myself included) and were taking corn from the palenque wheel and either chose not to or forgot to take the corn tiles that were visible after taking the action.

In one of the games, the corn tile monument was available. I told the other players that they really should take the corn tiles if they are visible regardless of the fact that they have the level two agriculture tech. The other players didnt seem to care. Additionally, the fourth player, who focused on Skulls, was able to harvest corn a few times when the tiles should not have been there.

I looked back through the rules and can not find any statement that clearly outlines whether or not the corn tiles "must" be taken if they are visible.

How do you all interpret the rule? I obviously think that it should be mandatory to take the tile if it is visible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth Reynolds
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can think of no good reason besides laziness to not take the tile. Doing so may hurt your opponents, and thus improve your chance of winning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eeike001 wrote:
I looked back through the rules and can not find any statement that clearly outlines whether or not the corn tiles "must" be taken if they are visible.

My copy of the rules clearly states that the player takes the corn tile when available, even if they have that tech.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Davidson
Japan
Nagoya
Aichi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say you have to take the tile if you can.

The technology lets you harvest corn even when no tile is available. The technology does not let you avoid taking the tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raph Moimoi
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eeike001 wrote:
After playing the game about 10 times now, a question recently came up in the last two sessions.

Three of the four players had level two agriculture tech (myself included) and were taking corn from the palenque wheel and either chose not to or forgot to take the corn tiles that were visible after taking the action.

In one of the games, the corn tile monument was available. I told the other players that they really should take the corn tiles if they are visible regardless of the fact that they have the level two agriculture tech. The other players didnt seem to care. Additionally, the fourth player, who focused on Skulls, was able to harvest corn a few times when the tiles should not have been there.

How do you all interpret the rule? I obviously think that it should be mandatory to take the tile if it is visible.

You MUST take Corn tiles (and Wood Tiles) : not only you may get points for them, but you can equally prevent opponents from getting Corn if they don't have Agriculture level 2 !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Hayward
New Zealand
flag msg tools
That does make sense to take a corn tile if it is visiable/available. According to my rule book it says on Page 12 under Agriculture: If you cannot see any Corn Harvest Tiles on the Palenque action space you're using (ie. they are hidden under Wood Harvest Tiles or there are no more left) you can still use that action to get corn (but you do not get a corn harvest tile).

So to clarify, if you are on Ag Tech 2 space, and you jump off Palenque wheel to get corn, you MUST take the corn tile if is visible/available. But if it is NOT visible (ie. under wood), you still get corn, but you don't take the corn tile from under the wood one. You only take it if it is visible/available.

I think this is right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.