Recommend
9 
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: I want a tank game. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be primarily a solo experience but I do have one wargame buddy. I've looked at: Field Commander Rommel, Panzer 2nd Edition, Nations at War: Desert Heat, Panzer Grenadier series.

I am okay with tactical to strategic and it doesnt have to be all armor. Time to play doesn't matter either as I can leave a map out. Complex is fine as well.

The only one I am pretty sure i don't want is FC:Rommel as it appears to be more resource dependent.

Thoughts? Others I should be considering?

Thanks for any help.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
DAK2 or (if that's too big), The Desert Fox
7 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jeff,

I might suggest one of MMP's/The Gamers' "Standard Combat Series" (SCS) games. These are pretty straightforward operational-scale games, and most of the WW2 and post-WW2 titles in the series feature tank units. I'm currently playing Stalingrad Pocket 2nd Edition: The Wehrmacht's Greatest Disaster, which as you might expect features plenty of armor units! My wargaming buddy Dan and I just finished turn 1 tonight (while watching the Sid and the Pens shut out the Devils 3-0!). Here is a pic:

My Russians have forced some large-scale retreats by Dan's Axis forces!

Also, I'm located in Beaver County just north of Pittsburgh, and have a group of 3 or 4 other wargamers, so drop me a line if you ever want to join in a game.
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin McCleary
United States
Huachuca City
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a tank game then you want Tank! (and the expansion) by SPI.

It's tactical, it's fun, it's Tank!

You can find it for sale on Ebay usually pretty cheap.

Single vehicles, squads, AT guns. 50m hexes. Unit counters are generic so you can just picks the stats for the vehicles off the charts.

It's a good detailed tactical game if you play the combined arsm fights. The only drawback (for some, not me) is that it's a simultaneous game that requires plotting.

Also consider Panzer Blitz Hill of Death from MMP. Pretty good game and works fine solo.

There are just tons of good games out there...
9 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


For tactical WWII tank combat another game to consider is Patton's Best, a solo Sherman tank game where you are put right into the commander's hatch along with your crew, following General Patton's 4th Armored Divison across occupied France and beyond. It includes all models and variants of the M4 Sherman tank, including the Jumbo and the British Firefly with the 17-lbr. main gun. Although OOP, it too can usually be found on eBay or other online places.
20 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Cowen
United States
Union Springs
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Old school fun, tons of variants and scenarios available thru the General, playable with rules from The Arab-Israeli Wars. They printed a bazillion copies so it is still easy to get.

or


There is a recent deluxe version out for Eisenbach Gap, the new box art sucks but it includes plenty of scenarios.

Haven't played this is 30 years, but I remember it was extremely detailed

Good game, different than other tactical games. Scenarios focus on the Grossdeutschland Infantry Division in Russia.

Great game, although you might want to pick up at least one of the expansions for the extra boards and scenarios

I think this is one of the best hex and counter games, low counter density and has plenty of tank units. Official solo rules expansion available through C3i or Victory Point Gams



27 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you mean you want a game with tanks, rather than 'armored units'. Any operational WWII game -- and there are many very good ones -- have armored units; I'll limit my personal recommendations to squad and platoon levels.

Firstly, my two favorite squad level games:

Panzer (second edition). You want tanks? Tanks are the focus!

Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles. This has tanks, especially the Noville scenario, but the focus is on infantry. So this may not be what you're looking for.

Then, my favorite platoon-level games:

Death Ride: Hafid Ridge. Pure tank, with a generous helping of tanksbane (88's & artillery). This game is one-afternoon-playable. Death Ride Halfaya Pass also has tanks (British ones), but unusually, the tanks are more gun-fodder, with the infantry carrying the battle for the British. And, as you can imagine, the Death Ride Kursk series features hordes of tanks.

TCS. It's one of my favorites despite the fact that I haven't yet played a full game. At the moment I have Canadian Crucible: Brigade Fortress at Norrey set up. It has a lot of tank platoons, both British and German. The backbone of the defense is infantry, but the punching and counter-punching power comes from tanks.
12 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
Hi Jeff,

I might suggest one of MMP's/The Gamers' "Standard Combat Series" (SCS) games. These are pretty straightforward operational-scale games, and most of the WW2 and post-WW2 titles in the series feature tank units. I'm currently playing Stalingrad Pocket 2nd Edition: The Wehrmacht's Greatest Disaster, which as you might expect features plenty of armor units! My wargaming buddy Dan and I just finished turn 1 tonight (while watching the Sid and the Pens shut out the Devils 3-0!). Here is a pic:

My Russians have forced some large-scale retreats by Dan's Axis forces!

Also, I'm located in Beaver County just north of Pittsburgh, and have a group of 3 or 4 other wargamers, so drop me a line if you ever want to join in a game.


Sid's first goal was a laser. I have done some work in Beaver co. Love the kolachi shop downtown.

I will look into the SCS series. Thanks for the suggestion.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
DAK2 or (if that's too big), The Desert Fox


Too much $$$$ for DAK. I would love to have it though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Lewis
United States
Evans
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
“Whatever you do, He will make good of it. But not the good He had prepared for you if you had obeyed Him.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
badge
"He died not for men, but for each man. If each man had been the only man made, He would have done no less.” Perelandra, C.S. Lewis
Avatar
mbmbmb
Another vote for Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division. The initiative/action point system alone is worth the price of admission. The bigger scenarios can run long, so solo should work well.
8 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Welker
United States
Steubenville
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Desert Fox, too
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Twisk of the Blue Feathers
United States
flag msg tools
My name is Twisker, and I am a baby parrotlet.
badge
For no discernible reason, I like hanging trapeze-like in towel folds.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You may want to consider

Eastern Front Tank Leader

Western Front Tank Leader

Panzer Command

At operational level,

Ring of Fire: The Fourth Battle for Kharkov, August 1943

Clash of Titans: The Tank Battle for Kursk, 1943
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to go with the "Panzer" series too. Panzer (second edition), MBT (First Edition) and IDF (Israeli Defense Force) are among them. IDF is my favorite of the series. Vassel modules exist for them as a bonus.

At a larger scale I'd take a look at MechWar 2: Suez to Golan.
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
Pojopep wrote:
calandale wrote:
DAK2 or (if that's too big), The Desert Fox


Too much $$$$ for DAK. I would love to have it though.


My thinking too. So, I went with the more affordable DAK I.
Baltic Gap gives an in-print OCS game though, but it looks
like you've a thing for the desert war.

An economy option is to go with The Gamer's Afrika. The first edition
is not too different from Desert Fox, and can be often picked up
for around $10 (forget the second).
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems to me that there is a glaring omission.

You want a tank game, get tank on tank.

Problem solved.

It is a 2 player game and it also has a solitaire rule. What else do you want?
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
calandale wrote:
Pojopep wrote:
calandale wrote:
DAK2 or (if that's too big), The Desert Fox


Too much $$$$ for DAK. I would love to have it though.


My thinking too. So, I went with the more affordable DAK I.


According to the designer, the differences between DAK I and DAK II are minimal enough that they're the same game (unlike the case with Afrika I and II, AII being a remake rather than a reissue of AI).
6 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S
United States
Pipersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
aeneas2467 wrote:
Old school fun, tons of variants and scenarios available thru the General, playable with rules from The Arab-Israeli Wars. They printed a bazillion copies so it is still easy to get.

or


There is a recent deluxe version out for Eisenbach Gap, the new box art sucks but it includes plenty of scenarios.

Haven't played this is 30 years, but I remember it was extremely detailed

Good game, different than other tactical games. Scenarios focus on the Grossdeutschland Infantry Division in Russia.

Great game, although you might want to pick up at least one of the expansions for the extra boards and scenarios

I think this is one of the best hex and counter games, low counter density and has plenty of tank units. Official solo rules expansion available through C3i or Victory Point Gams





What he said!
4 
 Thumb up
0.04
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
bob_santafe wrote:
calandale wrote:
Pojopep wrote:
calandale wrote:
DAK2 or (if that's too big), The Desert Fox


Too much $$$$ for DAK. I would love to have it though.


My thinking too. So, I went with the more affordable DAK I.


According to the designer, the differences between DAK I and DAK II are minimal enough that they're the same game (unlike the case with Afrika I and II, AII being a remake rather than a reissue of AI).


Doesn't AI have more in common with OCS than SCS? My understanding was that AII streamlined/simplified the system to bring it in line with the SCS family. Maybe I'm way off-base there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
whisky_bear wrote:


Doesn't AI have more in common with OCS than SCS? My understanding was that AII streamlined/simplified the system to bring it in line with the SCS family. Maybe I'm way off-base there.


That's my understanding. AII was designed to fit the older design
into the SCS model of 'easy to play' games. The first edition is
the same scale as the second though - and it doesn't go into the
detail that the OCS does. It's really about the same level as Desert
Fox.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
whisky_bear wrote:
bob_santafe wrote:
calandale wrote:
Pojopep wrote:
calandale wrote:
DAK2 or (if that's too big), The Desert Fox


Too much $$$$ for DAK. I would love to have it though.


My thinking too. So, I went with the more affordable DAK I.


According to the designer, the differences between DAK I and DAK II are minimal enough that they're the same game (unlike the case with Afrika I and II, AII being a remake rather than a reissue of AI).


Doesn't AI have more in common with OCS than SCS? My understanding was that AII streamlined/simplified the system to bring it in line with the SCS family. Maybe I'm way off-base there.


That could be. (I have both games but, shamefully, haven't played them yet!) -- but that's just my point, that there's a reason to spend extra to buy AII rather than AI, but there isn't a reason to spend extra to buy DAKII rather than DAKI.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread. Great recommendations!

I would add the upcoming standalone Band of Brothers: Ghost Panzer which focuses on tanks more so than the first game in the series. I have it on pre-order. It seems shorter and more approachable than most of the amazing games mentioned in this thread which means that I may be more likely to play it
5 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Riessen
United States
Sebastopol
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
As amusing as some of these recommendations are for a tank-centric game, you want to get one of the ATS (Advanced Tobruk System) games. Although the original, Tobruk, mentioned above was decent, the current ATS system takes the detail to a whole new level, plus it's a blast (!) to play. I think the base game (Tobruk) is difficult to get now, but all of the boxed sets are stand alone games.
Advanced Tobruk
Clash Along the Psel: The Battle of Kursk 1943
Scottish Corridor: Lion Rampant
and there's lots more you can search for

just pick where you want your tanks to be fighting and grab one.

The system uses an impulse-activation system, which makes it very good for solo play--second only to chit-pull IMO--because you even if your brain is secretly trying to make one side win, the uncertainty in the activations makes it impossible for you to swing the odds without making obvious "mistakes."

If you want light and fluffy and gamey tank battles then the World at War or Nations at War systems are good--just don't expect anywhere near the interesting simulation you'll find in ATS.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
Avatar
mb
bob_santafe wrote:

...but there isn't a reason to spend extra to buy DAKII rather than DAKI.


And, DAK I probably sells for less than if you repackaged the thing
into new a third edition.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kovacs
United States
Elyria
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Except when a Tiger shows up: that decision is pretty much a standard one...


Or a Panther...or a PAK43...
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
How sticky is your ZOC?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Infomanohio wrote:
Quote:
Except when a Tiger shows up: that decision is pretty much a standard one...


Or a Panther...or a PAK43...


and never shoot at it.
that will only cause it to kill you.

I found that PB tells a more thrilling story than B-17 because there are more choices and the kind of scenario (advance/battle or counterattack) really make for a different kind of fight. It is more counter heavy than B-17.
I once named my crew the same as the gang that I was using in Necromunda and that really meant that I had to keep them alive.
for a solo-experience it is a great game but if you wnat to play with a buddy you need something else
4 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.