Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Dominion: Prosperity» Forums » General

Subject: Watchtower basic question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Sawhill
msg tools
So, I feel I should know this and I looked around and couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. We just got this game today and it seems like a great addition to the original. My question is this -- say I have a Worker's village, a Watchtower and 3 coppers in my hand. Can I lay the coppers down (in play) and then use the Worker's village as my Action (gain a copper and put it in play) -- then play my watchtower and draw 6 more cards as I would have zero in my hand at that point?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks in advance. I've searched this forum for years, but never posted. cool
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
psawneo1 wrote:
So, I feel I should know this and I looked around and couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. We just got this game today and it seems like a great addition to the original. My question is this -- say I have a Worker's village, a Watchtower and 3 coppers in my hand. Can I lay the coppers down (in play) and then use the Worker's village as my Action (gain a copper and put it in play) -- then play my watchtower and draw 6 more cards as I would have zero in my hand at that point?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks in advance. I've searched this forum for years, but never posted. cool

No, playing actions come before playing treasure.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sawhill
msg tools
jeffwolfe wrote:
psawneo1 wrote:
So, I feel I should know this and I looked around and couldn't really find the answer I was looking for. We just got this game today and it seems like a great addition to the original. My question is this -- say I have a Worker's village, a Watchtower and 3 coppers in my hand. Can I lay the coppers down (in play) and then use the Worker's village as my Action (gain a copper and put it in play) -- then play my watchtower and draw 6 more cards as I would have zero in my hand at that point?

Am I understanding that correctly?

Thanks in advance. I've searched this forum for years, but never posted. cool

No, playing actions come before playing treasure.


Ok, that would be significantly different. That's what we thought. Actions -- then lay treasure cards -- then buy.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, Worker's Village does not "gain a Copper and put it into play." I'm not aware of any card that does that. The closest is Ill-Gotten Gains, which allows you to gain a Copper and put it into your hand (after which you could play it if you chose to do so).
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sawhill
msg tools
jeffwolfe wrote:
Also, Worker's Village does not "gain a Copper and put it into play." I'm not aware of any card that does that. The closest is Ill-Gotten Gains, which allows you to gain a Copper and put it into your hand (after which you could play it if you chose to do so).


Thanks Jeff, I appreciate the help
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Laufer
United States
Millington
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
Also, Worker's Village does not "gain a Copper and put it into play." I'm not aware of any card that does that. The closest is Ill-Gotten Gains, which allows you to gain a Copper and put it into your hand (after which you could play it if you chose to do so).
I'm guessing what he meant was "draw a Copper and put it into play." ("gain" has a very specific meaning in Dominion, Patrick, which is what Jeff was probably getting at.) This, of course, could happen (if he hadn't already entered the buy phase by playing the 3 coppers first), but by playing the copper, he'd be entering the buy phase, and couldn't then play the watchtower.

The way this turn would "really" go would be:
play workers village, draw something (maybe a copper)
Play watchtower, draw up to 6 (drawing 2 cards)
if one of the cards drawn is an action, maybe play it (with the extra action from the Worker's village)
otherwise, enter buy phase and play all treasures (that you wish to play), then buy stuff.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Sawhill
msg tools
gonzoron wrote:
jeffwolfe wrote:
Also, Worker's Village does not "gain a Copper and put it into play." I'm not aware of any card that does that. The closest is Ill-Gotten Gains, which allows you to gain a Copper and put it into your hand (after which you could play it if you chose to do so).
I'm guessing what he meant was "draw a Copper and put it into play." ("gain" has a very specific meaning in Dominion, Patrick, which is what Jeff was probably getting at.) This, of course, could happen (if he hadn't already entered the buy phase by playing the 3 coppers first), but by playing the copper, he'd be entering the buy phase, and couldn't then play the watchtower.

The way this turn would "really" go would be:
play workers village, draw something (maybe a copper)
Play watchtower, draw up to 6 (drawing 2 cards)
if one of the cards drawn is an action, maybe play it (with the extra action from the Worker's village)
otherwise, enter buy phase and play all treasures (that you wish to play), then buy stuff.


You're right -- I did mean "draw" in this case for sure.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.