Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under "Tricks", the English rules say the following:
Quote:
Play a Discovery:
You can always play a Discovery, when you want. The card is neutral, without strength, without color, without effect.

Does this mean that, when playing to a trick, a player can play Discovery card instead of a Resource card? But the player still plays only one card to each trick?

Does a player in Age I or Age II know which of his cards is a Discovery card. Is he allowed to choose to play it when he wants?

If so, does that mean that someone who plays a Discovery card can never win a trick (unless everyone does). Moreover, when deciding the order to resolve Discoveries after a trick, all players who played a Discovery are tied - breaking the ties as specified?

For resolving Discoveries after a trick, the rules say the following:
Quote:
Discoveries: treat them first. These cards concern only the players who have played one.

A player takes back his Discovery. Or he can take the Discovery played by another player if the card is the same Age, and if he can choose before him because of the tie rule.

The player places the Discovery card face up at the left of his board.

Suppose that players A and B both play Discoveries to a trick. If player A chooses to take player's B Discovery (instead of his own), what can player B do? Can he take player A's discovery?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maman Jean-Michel
France
Paris
Ile-de France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gillum,
gillum wrote:
Under "Tricks", the English rules say the following:
Quote:
Play a Discovery:
You can always play a Discovery, when you want. The card is neutral, without strength, without color, without effect.

Does this mean that, when playing to a trick, a player can play Discovery card instead of a Resource card?
Yes, exactly : you play a Discovery instead a Resource card.You must always play one card to each trick (if you still have a card in hand !)
But the player still plays only one card to each trick?

Does a player in Age I or Age II know which of his cards is a Discovery card. Is he allowed to choose to play it when he wants?
In Age I, the player does not see his cards. His cards (4 resources + Discovery Age I) are shuffled and face down on the table. And he plays each trick by "choosing" one of his cards... So difficult to play his Discovery when he wants... unless he's a medium or a mentalist !
In Age II, the player takes his cards in hand and plays seeing them... so he can choose !

If so, does that mean that someone who plays a Discovery card can never win a trick (unless everyone does). Moreover, when deciding the order to resolve Discoveries after a trick, all players who played a Discovery are tied - breaking the ties as specified?
No, you can never "win" a trick with a Discovery. But note that in S-Evolution, you do not really "win" a trick : the "winner" chooses a card first, that's all.

For resolving Discoveries after a trick, the rules say the following:
Quote:
Discoveries: treat them first. These cards concern only the players who have played one.

A player takes back his Discovery. Or he can take the Discovery played by another player if the card is the same Age, and if he can choose before him because of the tie rule.

Suppose that players A and B both play Discoveries to a trick. If player A chooses to take player's B Discovery (instead of his own), what can player B do? Can he take player A's discovery?

Simple : if you are the only one to play a Discovery to a trick, you take your Discovery back, that's all, and put it face up near your board.
If two players play Discovery cards of the SAME AGE to a trick, the first player (tie rule : first = higher Age (no sense here), then most population, then order of play in the trick) can take back his own Discovery, or take the Discovery of the other player, as he wishes. Then the other player takes the remaining Discovery...
Everyone, every time, who plays a Discovery, gets back a Discovery... but not necessary his own.

Finally, note that we made a mistake in the english rules : at the beginning, Discoveries are twice named "Progress" ! Sorry...cry

Thanks for your interest,
Jean-Michel Maman
Spiel-ou-Face

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Was I correct that, if you play a Discovery card to a trick, that's the only card you can play? Or are they in addition to Resource cards?

Can a player in Age I or Age II choose to play a Discovery card? Or does the Discovery card get mixed in which the rest, and he just plays the Discovery when it comes up randomly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maman Jean-Michel
France
Paris
Ile-de France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
Was I correct that, if you play a Discovery card to a trick, that's the only card you can play? Or are they in addition to Resource cards?

Can a player in Age I or Age II choose to play a Discovery card? Or does the Discovery card get mixed in which the rest, and he just plays the Discovery when it comes up randomly?

Yes, it's the only card you can play.

In Age I, you do not see your cards, so difficult to choose or mentalistic (because cards unseen).
In Age II, you SEE your cards during the tricks, i.e. you play normally. So, you can choose when to play your Discovery Card...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyrill Melai
Netherlands
Nijmegen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Once I could recite whole episodes of Dexter's Laboratory.
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

I have read the rules and played one solo two player game to understand the mechanics of the game. There seemed to be no value to take another players Discovery/progress/age card. What did I miss?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maman Jean-Michel
France
Paris
Ile-de France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
See the final scoring. You score more points with groups of discovery of the same color. So, it's sometimes interesting to take another players Discovery, and male a larger group (of your own color, for exemple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, do I understand that correctly that you can ONLY take another player's Discovery card if:
a) he is in the same age as you AND
b) you both played your Discovery cards at the same time??

If that is the case, collecting cards of the same colour becomes way harder. Yes, the three final Discovery cards (ages IV-IV) have the same colour, but apart from that anything else is a gamble at best, and will generally not happen too often...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maman Jean-Michel
France
Paris
Ile-de France
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

You're exactly right for the rules !

In the game, Discovery Cards are intended to be only a little bonus at the end, they can break ties or players very near at the end (very near scores arrive most times, despite what some players say here...)

So, sure, it's a gamble to get the first 3 Discoveries... Or not so...
1. If you respect initially the set-up red-green-blue-yellow clockwise around the table, you can know who has at the same Age the Discovery of your colour : 1st Age, 1st player after you, 2nd turn, 2nd player after you, 3rd turn, 3rd player after you...
2. and sometimes, an agreement could be a good idea...devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.