Popular Tags: [View All]
Linh Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
This game has been out since 2005.
Because of this, I was wondering if a similar game
had came out in the past 8 years that has similar
mechanics but was able to improve over this game for the better?

The only example I can think of as of right now is Dominion.
I've read that Dominion was a good drafting game in its time
but better drafting games have came out because there were able to build upon the ideas of Dominion to create a better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Tanner
United States
Logan
Utah
flag msg tools
BryceCon Game Convention Jan 15-18 in Southern Utah www.brycecon.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to ride, either the original, or the European version, are good staple games to have. There are lots of train games out there, but they go into the economic side of things for the most part. Ticket to Ride is a simple intro game, with easy to understand rules and lots of popularity to keep it going.

I own 3, the original, Europe and Nordic, and wouldn't part with any. That's including the fact that I also own Steam and Railways of the World. Sometimes you just want a simple game to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You also have the Map Pack available which adds not only new map but different things in each one. Example is Asia has the team map. There are 4 map pack out and all are each a little different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Linh Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
How is the re-playability for this game?
I know games like Apples to Apples/Card Against Humanity have low
re-playability and get old fast. I recently had just bought King of Tokyo
and played it 7 times and hope to play it a hundred more times before I get bored of it. Can i expect the same from Ticket to Ride?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
I own T2R: Europe, T2R: Nordic Countries: T2R: Europe 1912, T2R: Map Collections 1, 2 & 3.

Between those, and the T2R games I don't own, I have played T2R 108 times, and I'm fra from done with the T2R games. I'm sure I'll also get the Map Collection 4.

It's one of the favorite games with family and friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven F.
Sweden
Västra Götaland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
l-hansen wrote:
I own T2R: Europe, T2R: Nordic Countries: T2R: Europe 1912, T2R: Map Collections 1, 2 & 3.

Between those, and the T2R games I don't own, I have played T2R 108 times, and I'm fra from done with the T2R games. I'm sure I'll also get the Map Collection 4.

It's one of the favorite games with family and friends.

I completely agree with everything (except for "108").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Pigeon
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not too late to get into ticket to ride since I'm fairly sure that's nothing similar and better came out after it.

It's quick to play, simple enough for the whole family and a lot of fun.

I think that even though the game is simple, it's one of the game I played that has the most replay value and does not feel repetitive. If you ever get tired of playing on the same map, there is 4 map collections available. I've bought one two years ago(India) and I've yet to get tired of it. They are not expansions in the usual way. Normally, an expansion adds things to game (more cards, more dices, more characters, new mechanics, etc.) Those map collection gives you the chance to play a different game on a different map. The only thing that stay the same in each collection is the train pawns for each players, and the deck of train cards. The map, ticket cards and rules are not compatible from one map to another.

USA is the simplest of all. But I prefer Europe.
In Europe, you have tunnels, ferries and train stations.
India offers Ferry and Mandala
Switzerland offers connection to other countries, and tunnels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAURICIO FLORES
Australia
Hectorville
L
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is not late. I bought my Ticket to ride Europe copy last year, and it's my group's most played game to date.

My wife loves it and eventually will buy all the expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sorta became a "TtR junkie", getting everything up to and including India. Even before I moved and left a lot of my board games behind, I stopped buying TtR b/c they were kinda getting stale. Unlike games like Settlers Of Catan, I'll still play many of the TtR, but will often never put it on the table myself. Furthermore, I prefer to try the newer ones as much as possible. So the new one, (Heart Of) Africa, India, and Asia in that order of preference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One good thing about owning TTR Europe is you can then play the cool new map expansions. You could also get America set for that; but Europe has better components as a base game (I.e. Better cards) and IMO more interesting rules gameplay than USA as a base set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
CALIFORNIA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's my bday and I got a $25 gift card for Target....am thinking about picking up either TtR or TtR:Europe.

I will mainly be playing with my gf.

Does this game play very well with 2?

Also, America or Europe?

I of course, will like Europe as I am a gamer and like things a bit deeper.

My gf doesn't like overly complex games, where there is too much to do.

Her faves are Kingdom Builder, King of Tokyo, Jambo and Archeology the Card game. She also enjoys Can't Stop. She disliked Agricola: All creatures big and small.

Will TtR:E be ok for us?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with 2p TTR is if you aren't willing to play aggressively and block each other, the win will just go to whoever draws the best tickets. Not as much an issue with 3 or more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W.
United States
Madera
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
USA is more open has less conflict. Europe adds the ferries and tunnel and a little more tougher routes (especially with 2 players because double routes would be closed off after one person, same as USA but Europe has some one ways routes). Examples of this is the Madrid circle route on bottom left and London to Edenburch on top left but these also make for exciting game play and a little more cutthroat sometimes. My wife and I play both, we started with the USA and now play the Europe. When it is more then us two, I tend to introduce the USA as it more easier to get non-gamers into. However both are great games. Also get the 1910 and 1912 depending on which base game you game. Adds tons more tickets for higher replay-ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.