Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In other words, say you were going to design a game starting with just a theme, and then choose a central game mechanic (or mechanics) that best expresses - or put differently, gives the feeling of doing - that theme.

What themes do you guys think would end up best expressed by the worker placement mechanic?

I'm wondering because all the worker placement games I've played so far (and admittedly I haven't played that many) - however good the gameplay - have all had themes that felt somewhat divorced from the gameplay, if not entirely tacked-on.

What would a game look like where this wasn't the case? Any games you can recommend that pull this off already?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Despres
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Saints are 4-4!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about a game in which you are a corporate CEO assigning workers to tasks? I am thinking CO₂ or Ground Floor here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
d b
United States
De Forest
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
The road is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind.
badge
I taught my dog to play Mage Knight... good dog.
mbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
gives the feeling of doing - that theme.

The Manhattan Project does it best for me.

not sure about the other part
studying/research (pick your topic)
martial arts (learning moves)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Darrin
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy a good horror theme. I'd like to see something akin to assigning ghosts to haunt the living or assigning monsters to slay the humans. A nice twist. Maybe there's something like this out there already, but I haven't come across it yet. But alas, I am a bit slooow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katherine Boag
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A game about slavery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samantha RD
South Africa
Harrismith
Free State
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
- Running a zoo, with the workers as your keepers. You could even make it a bit retro, have collectors who you send out into South America or Africa to collect animals which need to be shipped back and cared for during the journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Agricola?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Fløe
Denmark
Aarhus C
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kolejka - worker placement game with a theme about waiting in line :-) sounds boring at a glance, but it really isn't. Maybe because the theme actually completely makes sense in symbiosis with the mechanics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone should make a game about being an HR Rep. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
What themes do you guys think would end up best expressed by the worker placement mechanic?

Passive aggressiveness.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Have you tried Agricola?

Actually, that'd be one of the WP games, where the mechanics seem somewhat tacked on. There's really no explanation for why only 1 worker can perform a given action at any given time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
holgerd wrote:
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Have you tried Agricola?

Actually, that'd be one of the WP games, where the mechanics seem somewhat tacked on. There's really no explanation for why only 1 worker can perform a given action at any given time.

Ah, got it. Then you definitely don't want to try Le Havre; only one person allowed in the bakery at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have one: Bodybuilding. Players are trying to sculpt the most balanced and impressive body, but the gym is small and only has one of each machine. Come to think of it, Agricola actually favors farms with variety over specialized farms, pretty much analogous to how judges in bodybuilding contests favor balance and symmetry, I believe. Disclaimer: I don't know anything about bodybuilding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ys xxx
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
Any games you can recommend that pull this off already?

I think Dungeon Petz is doing a very good job in combining theme and worker placement mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mwanafalsafa wrote:
In other words, say you were going to design a game starting with just a theme, and then choose a central game mechanic

I'd say you were doing it in the wrong order - design mechanics, then slap a theme on. The mechanics matter, the theme doesn't (and there is no real relationship between the two).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that Martin Wallace's worker placement games set themselves apart from the crowd with theme and mechanics working together pretty cohesively. I've never played any of his games, so would be interested to hear from someone who has. Is this a fair statement?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the best theme is one that actually has 'workers'.

One of the best I've played is Snowdonia - where workers are clearing rubble and building a mountain railway. I mean, there's even a pub where your extra workers hang out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless it's literally "worker" (singular) placement, something where you're a leader or coordinator of a group, be that slaves, employees, team-members, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The best theme is that you are Dr. Otto Octavius, and can have each of your mechanical arms doing something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Guimarães
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is this thing called theme, that euros never heard of?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slave labor has to be the ultimate worker placement theme

Think about some of the construction wonders of the world all built by slave labor

Pyramids, great wall of china, things like that

You have to gather workers and resources to build a wonder over so many turns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kactus04 wrote:
A game about slavery.

Or its somehow morally acceptable modern equivalent, academia: imagine a game where players are professors each commanding a team of grad student minions, who have to compete for access to limited resources in order to fulfill the contracts to obtain the best grants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sacre Bleu
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised no one said that yet, it's the first thing that came to my mind: communism.

Although I agree, academia is also a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the ideas, gang.

My thoughts...

We call it 'worker' placement, but does anyone ever place workers just as simply as the way the 'worker placement' mechanic works in most games.

I'm not sure the mechanic fits a theme involving actual workers more ideally than other themes.

A game trying to accurately mechanically represent the theme of slavery or similar might include any/all of the following that go beyond the basic worker placement mechanic...
- disobedient workers
- multitasking workers
- injuries
- etc., etc.

The mechanic, at its core, is what? What are the players doing? You've got a limited number of units and a limited number of spaces, which provide a variety of benefits, be they abilities, resources, etc. Each turn you're shuffling these units around, mixing and matching different resources (or currencies), blocking other players from acquiring different resources and abilities by filling certain limited spaces.

To me that sort of thing seems to lend itself to something like a stock market or computing theme?

I mean maybe there isn't anything else like it. But I thought I'd throw it out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A factory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.