Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Several hundred. More if one counts third party offerings.

I think the ASL scenario archive may have a feature which would permit an actual calculation.

Link here: http://www.aslscenarioarchive.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots, but not that many as you'd like, unless you also dig up a copy of For King and Country: ASL module 5a. Then you get all the ANZAC, Gurkha and British-in-ETO scenarios as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, Rising Sun has the PTO bad guys (IJA), but only some of the good guys (GMD & USMC).

For King & Country would expand the field of scenarios considerably. Throw in Doomed Battalions, which is also in print, and you've got a pretty large proportion of the extant official map set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McNeely
United States
Hilo
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Get For King and Country. There is a lot of good stuff that can be played once you get that. Also if you can afford it buy Blood and Jungle. Amazing pack of scenarios and some more boards. Everyone needs more boards.

Getting a copy of Yanks seems to have gotten way more expensive in the past couple of years but haunt eBay for one. MMP really needs to get this one back out. I like the Finns and all but I think many new players would be delighted with a reissue of this module. Put the French. Italians, and desert rules in it and it would be wargaming nirvana.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik Neumann
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I'm pondering if I should get Rising Sun but do not want to collect the whole range of ASL products, let me rephrase the original question slightly:

If I have ASLRB + Beyond Valor + For King and Country + Doomed Battalions

what is the number of scenarios THAT COME WITH RISING SUN that I could play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
colgrevance wrote:
As I'm pondering if I should get Rising Sun but do not want to collect the whole range of ASL products, let me rephrase the original question slightly:

If I have ASLRB + Beyond Valor + For King and Country + Doomed Battalions

what is the number of scenarios THAT COME WITH RISING SUN that I could play?

My off-hand guess is that you could play roughly 17 of the 32 scenarios in Rising Sun. Those are:

A Stiff Fight

Bloody Red Beach

Bungle in the Jungle

Cibik's Ridge

Grabbing Gavutu

Hazardous Occupation

Hell or High Water

KP 167

On the Kokoda Trail

OP Hill

Sand & Blood (CG)

Shanghai in Flames

Take Two

Tanambogo Nightmare

The Eastern Gate

The Rock

Today We Attack

I came up with this list based on the nationalities included in the modules you have, plus the boards that are included with those modules. (I'm assuming that you're fine with using a different nationality's concealment counters for the American forces in Rising Sun.) That said, I could be overestimating the number of playable scenarios based on two factors:

(1) Some of these scenarios require overlays and I did not check to see which modules the required overlays come from.

(2) I have assumed for any scenario using the American USMC, "Early US Army," or Philippines Army (all included in Rising Sun) that the scenario does not also require any American SWs, AFVs, ordnance, or aircraft that are only available from Yanks.

That said, I should note that if you also have the "map bundle" (or play with somebody who does), there are several more scenarios from Rising Sun that you could play without needing anything else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hendrik Neumann
Germany
Braunschweig
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
colgrevance wrote:
Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for!

You're welcome! Glad to be able to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence Hung wrote:
x = oo

Very old thread I know, but it sounds like if I just have BV, Rising Sun is not playable. I do have Yanks on pre-order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
ozradio wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:
x = oo

Very old thread I know, but it sounds like if I just have BV, Rising Sun is not playable. I do have Yanks on pre-order.

There are a few Japanese/Russian scenarios so it isn't entirely unplayable. RS also contains the US Marine OB, but I'm not sure how complete that is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Rynerson
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
Ma Hongkui
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
ozradio wrote:
Lawrence Hung wrote:
x = oo

There are a few Japanese/Russian scenarios so it isn't entirely unplayable. RS also contains the US Marine OB, but I'm not sure how complete that is.

Sorry, Andy, but all the Japanese/Russian scenarios in RS require components from at least one other module besides RS and BV3. That said, for someone owning just RS and BV3, at minimum they should be able to play the following:

Totsugeki!

Today We Attack

Shanghai in Flames

Hazardous Occupation

The first three are Japanese/GMD scenarios. The last one is a Japanese/Partisan scenario.

There are also 10 scenarios with the USMC, "Early US Army," and/or Philippines Army as a combatant against the Japanese and which only use boards included in BV3 and/or RS. At least some of these scenarios are probably playable using just the components in BV3 and RS other than needing to substitute a different nationality's concealment counters for the Americans. Unfortunately, I'm at work so I don't have my scenario cards handy to check to confirm that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.