Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule book is clear on if negotiation is ok during the Main Street and campaign trail phases, but not in the Capitol Hill phase. Is it say ok to negotiate and bribe the president to remove the law, or to choose the legislation cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Yup, you can negotiate and bribe during the Capitol Hill Phase!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok thanks so in summary by Phase?:

Is negotiation allowed and encouraged:

Wall St - No (no need because you are just selecting businesses)

Main St - Yes (per the rules)

Campaign Trail - No (per the rules)

Capitol Hill - Yes (not in the rules, but in the 2nd half of the phase during law revoking and legislation selection)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Yes, that's correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! For the next edition it would make sense to clarify the capitol hill negotiation like you clarified the others in the rule book. maybe even put the word negotiate on the board for those phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So even in the campaign trail phase, if someone is torn between two possible presidents, and they verbally say so, but they don;t want to spend the money bidding on both, couldn't someone else say something like "Hey, I know your torn between these two guys, and I like #2 better between those two so you might want to put your money there because that's where I'm going (even though I may or may not do that)...." Or does this influencing in that phase go against its intended design for this phase? Is it supposed to be a quiet, non interactive phase? Maybe not quiet, but non interacting?

Dan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Ok, I think I may have spoken a little too soon about negotiating not being a part of the Campaign Trail Phase. Bribing is not allowed during that Phase, but players are definitely encouraged to talk through what legislation they would like to see passed and who they want to be president. This phase is supposed to be very interactive!

Quote:
"Hey, I know your torn between these two guys, and I like #2 better between those two so you might want to put your money there because that's where I'm going (even though I may or may not do that)...."

This is exactly the sort of thing that should be happening! But players should not be passing money at this point--they should save it for bidding and sharing spoils once the president is elected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks I'll take these tips into our first play test session!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When negotiation and bribing in the main st and Capitol Hill phases, can you trade or give business cards? Are there any types of things we can't bribe with or put in a deal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nothing Sacred Games
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
There is nothing you can't put into a deal. I've heard of some people who incorporated items outside the game to convince people to support them in a presidential campaign! (If you put money on that other guy, you're not getting any of those tasty cookies you can smell warming up...)

That said, that kind of bribing and trading can really slow down the game, so each group will have to decide for itself. Trading businesses in particular can take a long time and often only involves 2 players, so I generally discourage it. But, if your group can handle it, trade away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.