Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Would someone help to explain the differences b/w 1st and 2nd edition?

Thanks in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The second edition has a larger map, both in number of spaces and in physical size. It also has a different setup, as well as different rules for antiaircraft guns and strategic bombing raids.

In addition, it has better pieces and plastic chips. All in all, the second edition is far superior to the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...the map size and # of space, I am ok...but modified AA guns and bombing rules, is it good enough to push me to pay extra $20+ for 2nd edition?

Thanks again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark J.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
ah3Dog wrote:
Thanks...the map size and # of space, I am ok...but modified AA guns and bombing rules, is it good enough to push me to pay extra $20+ for 2nd edition?

Thanks again

The gameplay is very different and well worth the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Tremble
United States
Broken Arrow
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb

[/q The gameplay is very different and well worth the money.
[/q]
More FUN for everyone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BRett Anderson
Canada
flag msg tools
I own 2nd edition of Spring 1942, and I have a java copy of the game that I assume is based on 1st edition version, so I can name a few differences.

Bigger board, nicer pieces, but I think the important mechanic changes are:

1. England starts with a factory in India, and I don't believe this was the case in the 1st edition. This is a big deal for gameplay. England can properly battle on multiple fronts now without having a dead turn.

2. USA has 4 china territories worth 1 IPC each instead of 2 territories worth 2 each. This is a result of the larger map but has large impact on gameplay. Namely, the option to build a factory in China on turn 1, while still possible, is drastically nerfed because any US factory will only produce 1 unit per turn. So this is bad for allies, but since #1 was such a huge buff, it works out well I think.

If you're Russia, you like this change because the 4 US zones makes it much longer for Japan to march against you.

3. Russia starts with a 3 factories instead of two. Karellia got a factory woohoo! wellllll, not so fast. I think the 3rd factory in Russia ironically helps Germany more than Russia simply because it will be nigh impossible for Russia to defend all 3 factories. Germany will target whichever factory is weakest and in all likelihood, will get a factory on your doorsteps without buying one himself.

4. Guess what Germany? you now get what china gets! twice as many territories worth half as much as your old territories. Your finances are the same, best of luck protecting against D-day now that America has 4 or 6 viable targets for a landing.

Also, your factory in Italy can only produce 3 units per turn instead of 6 (because south Europe is divided into smaller territories) To be honest, Nobody ever sent more than 4 troops per turn to Africa anyway, so this nerf won't hurt you too much. The real problem is that the USA threat of invading Italy is a serious threat. If you leave Italy vulnerable, the production cap will prevent you from scrambling a defense. If you do protect itally, America can also land in Greece (that new territory that took the other half of Italy's 6 IPC value)

5. There are 4 sea zones between East USA and Londan, and 4 zea zones between Hawaii and Japan. All sea units have a movement of 2, so this change puts everything just 1 space out of reach of your military power. You can now add 1 turn to the time it takes to accomplish ANYTHING. Hey, did I mention that a Chinese factory kinda sucks now?

6. Pretty much every country got 1 buff and 1 nerf, except Japan. Japan greatly benefits from the extra distance between him and the USA while being penalized almost no where. It will be harder for Japan to attack Russia's flank, but whatever, there's a new factory in India, and that factory will make Japan foam at the mouth. If Japan gets India, the allies may consider surrender purely on that alone.

Conclusion, That factory in India man, it adds a lot of focus and drama to the Asian theatre of war (not to mention a far more historically accurate portrayal of Japan's war objectives). Some people are saying Operation Barbarossa happens much faster, but D-day also happens easier despite the 1 turn delay added to USA pond jumping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.