Subject: Designer Diary #2 Designing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sebastian Lamch
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something obvious, but I have to write it: Inspiration and Idea have nothing to do with designing a game! It's really hard work and when an Idea gives us something to start with, then Designing needs to forge this into shape. Just like a blacksmith has to create a sword not only by imagining it but thru hard handy work – it’s the same what a board game designer has to do. I think that’s not something new but I'm new here so I am trying to write all my thoughts for all stages - from the first idea to the final product on the shelf of store.

Mechanics, elements, maps, cards, dices... or no such thing - this is the step where we have to make a lot of decisions to forge a product. With Zombify: Dead City I was just aware of some facts: I was going to use dices for sure to make it unpredictable and to simulate luck and tiredness. Cards? Yes please! Tool cards, event cards - but to have them in a minimalistic form. Map? Modular map is a popular trend today but I wanted to have something stable, something universal and I think I made my point. I knew what I wanted - a simple to understand game with a great replayablity and a never ending feeling of danger and panic. In order to do so I was forced to throw away some ideas and some of them turned out to be more minimalistic.

A group of survivors in a city full of zombies. No other living creature, just a marching horde of zombies. The survivors will have to gather resources but they have to be very quiet because all their actions make noise and can bring more zombies into the neighbourhood. They will fight, they will search and scavenge and they will build fences so one more day can bring them closer to see the rescue choppers in the sky...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.