Subject: Special Encounter idea, curious about opinions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy this game, and am somewhat of a Trekkie. Anyhow I was brainstorming an idea for a a thematic special encounter, actually it involves two theoretical encounter cards. I'm curious about others opinions on the matter.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Encounter Card
SS Botany Bay
Persistent Special
Choose a friendly ship at this location to receive an away team marker as cargo. The chosen ship is no longer eligible to complete missions as long as this marker remains on board as cargo. To remove this marker this ship must make a special transporter action to place the away team marker on a habitable planet, if the marker is removed in this way place this encounter card on the planet and gain +2VP. Choose an opponent to place a control marker on SS Botany Bay card (This does not count as a control marker for this location).

Encounter Card
Wrath of Khan
Persistent Special
If the SS Botany Bay encounter is not in play, search the encounter deck for SS Botany Bay and encounter it instead, return Wrath of Khan to the encounter deck and reshuffle. If Encounter SS Botany Bay is on a planet, then the player whose control marker is on the SS Botany Bay Encounter chooses a ship from the reinforcement pool of the player that completed the SS Botany Bay Encounter and places it on that planet, they now control that ship. Each turn that player may make a move and free power adjustment with that ship; however the only action that may be taken with that ship is a combat action (combined not allowed) against ships belonging to the player who completed the SS Botany Bay encounter (this is a special action and does not count against your normal limit). Receive +1VP for each ship destroyed by this ship in addition to the normal bonus for destroying a ship. If the player who completed the SS Botany Bay encounter destroys this ship they receive +VP equal to the size of this ship.

I'm content with the wording of the SS Botany Bay card but feel the Wrath of Khan card is a bit wordy. Opinions, does the theme work out? Any Suggestions on VP adjustment? Better way to word the instructions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it! I will try this out next time we play Fleet Captains.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two minor points on the second card:

Sputnik Monroe wrote:
... then the player who's control marker...

Should be "whose control marker".

Sputnik Monroe wrote:
If the SS Botany Bay encounter is not in play, search the encounter deck for SS Botany Bay and encounter it instead, return Wrath of Khan to the encounter deck and reshuffle.

Put this at the start. No need to make them read the whole thing if the other card hasn't come up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Scott, I edited the first post to reflect those changes.

Brian if you try this out let me know how it works out, would be interested to hear how it plays out and what if any balancing may be needed.

I'm super poor right now and cannot afford card sleeves but am considering getting opaque backed sleeves for my encounter deck so that I can add in test encounters with out being able to tell them from the rest until they are drawn. I'll probably just put a magic card or something in and keep a reference sheet near by with the test text. Example, MtG Forrest=SS Botany Bay, Island=Wrath of Khan, then just look it up on my reference if they are drawn.

I have two other special encounters I've been brainstorming, one major one not as major but unique.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i dig it! Although, I would change the "chooses a ship" phrasing to "draws a ship randomly" or possibly "chooses a ship of size X or less" where X is the same as whatever that Romulan card is that allows theft of an opponent's reinforcement ship.

Otherwise, "Khan" would always get Enterprise E/Negh'Var/Valdore (or whatever is closest available), where in the movie he was stuck with Reliant as that just happened to be the ship that showed up. I am sure he would have much preferred Excelsior, had he been given the choice. laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hockeyjedi wrote:
Otherwise, "Khan" would always get Enterprise E/Negh'Var/Valdore (or whatever is closest available), where in the movie he was stuck with Reliant as that just happened to be the ship that showed up. I am sure he would have much preferred Excelsior, had he been given the choice. laugh

Excelsior? Why in God's name would he want that bucket of bolts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Stephens
United States
Winter Garden
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoya wrote:
hockeyjedi wrote:

Excelsior? Why in God's name would he want that bucket of bolts?

i see what ya did there...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh J Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the random draw idea is a better idea. My original intention with letting the player pick the ship was to have them weight the risk and gain, bigger ship = more VPs for opponent if it is destroyed; as per the text on the card.

However, being able to choose, why would you ever choose anything smaller than a large ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.