Hide
5 Posts

Axis & Allies: WWI 1914» Forums » Rules

Subject: conquering allied territory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Troi anni
msg tools
Suppose that one player - let's say Russia - loses its capital and all its territory. If an ally - suppose the US - lands in Finland, does the US assume control of Finland?

I haven't looked at the rulebook in a while and remember my group being confused by this. My understanding is that in this version, if Russia is out, the US could go in and take territory for itself, BUT once Moscow is liberated Russia is back in the game and all territory occupied by its allies is returned to Russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ubergeek
United States
Washougal
Washington
flag msg tools
Be Happy in your Game!
badge
I spent 100 Geek Gold and all I got was this lousy overtext message!
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming you aren't playing the Russian Revolution, yes. P 20 is pretty clear on the process.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A power doesn't lose all of its territories when it loses its capital. It still retains control of its other territories - it just can't collect income from them. If the US lands troops in Finland while it is controlled by Russia, it remains controlled by Russia, whether or not Moscow is held by Russia.

The only way a power can take control of a territory that was originally controlled by a power on the same side is to capture it from an enemy power while the original controller's capital is enemy-held. In your example, if Finland were controlled (or contested) by the Central Powers, and the US attacked it and eliminated all Central Powers presence, the US would take control of it. However, control would immediately revert to Russia if Moscow were subsequently liberated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troi anni
msg tools
Krieghund wrote:
A power doesn't lose all of its territories when it loses its capital. It still retains control of its other territories - it just can't collect income from them. If the US lands troops in Finland while it is controlled by Russia, it remains controlled by Russia, whether or not Moscow is held by Russia.

The only way a power can take control of a territory that was originally controlled by a power on the same side is to capture it from an enemy power while the original controller's capital is enemy-held. In your example, if Finland were controlled (or contested) by the Central Powers, and the US attacked it and eliminated all Central Powers presence, the US would take control of it. However, control would immediately revert to Russia if Moscow were subsequently liberated.

That sounds like what I thought. Now if the revolution happens and say, again, Finland is left contested by Germany and Russia (obligating Germany to leave 1 infantry with no income), what happens if the Americans attack Finland and kill off the German piece? I assume that the Americans don't get control of the territory, but (since it's technically no longer contested) do the Russians get it back? How does that bit work?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Attacks are not allowed in shared territories after the Russian Revolution, so this situation can't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.