Popular Tags: [View All]
Kamma
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all devil
After posting some negative posts on other games on here I have decided to write a good one due to a request from some others, so here it goes!
This game Darkest Night has become one of my all time favourite games after having played it many times. The expansion really adds a ton to it as well.
The game drips with atmosphere and that's what I love best about it. Dark fantasy and also dark sci-fi are my favourite type of themes in media so it was awesome to find a board game where the theme was implemented right. It reminds me a lot of Demon's Souls for ps3, where you are the hero (or in case of Darkest Night, the four heroes) that can save a world that encased by the darkness and on the verge of absolute destruction.
The artwork really brings the game to life. The components have a classic game feel to them that adds to it as well. The art on the cards I enjoy a lot because it just looks so cult, magical, and ancient.
The game allows one to go on an adventure and experience a story every time. The expansion took care of the problem the base game had with regard to how one could just keep the characters at the starting areas (if one really wanted to abuse the game system that is). The quests also added a lot more variety to the game and more story telling. I find a game like Darkest Night to be vastly superior to the fake-story scenario driven games like Lord of the Rings card game or Doom for instance; more story is told here then forced ones like in the other games.
Again, I just really have to say I just love the dark classical medieval fantasy aesthetic of this game. And the gameplay is fun as hell too.
It plays just as great co-op as it does solo. Some co-op games out there suffer from someone having to take charge in order to win the game, but in this game (much like in Defenders of the Realm) each player can go and do their own thing without screwing the game up for everyone else. The game at its default settings is very well suited for the co-operative game as it is forgiving of bad rolls and player mistakes. The variants in the rulebooks (especially the Pall of Suffering found in the expansion) are great and allow the game to be challenging with regard to solo play and replayability is high with the sheer number of characters and different set ups that can occur with the game!
It would be great if in the future we could see another enemy besides the Necromancer. It would also be cool if a promotional board were to be sold, one that is made like a map on nice clothe. I myself personally am having a friend make me a custom map for the game; one where the locations correspond to locations within the Demon's Souls game (instead of grabbing a new character from the box when one dies, I simply use the same one that died; it's fun to imagine that the character is simply in "soul form" now) because of it reminding me of that game.
I'd also like to see more dark fantasy games to be released from VPG and also created by Jeremy. I didn't explore VPG much before because much of their catalog seemed to be military type games (that type of theme doesn't interest me much). Dawn of the Zeds seemed quite cool though and I'd love to have that one...
SO anyway, not to go on for too long, but in short: if you are considering buying this game, get it! It's very thematic and a great game all around!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmb
I recently just started playing Darkest Night too, and it is awesome! I haven't had a chance to play with the expansion yet, though.

You might want to pick up the Nymph promo character in the BGG store while you can if you are the completionist type. It seemed like it was going to be a somewhat limited thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
I believe there is a post on their site saying that eventually they are likely to make it available on from VPG but for the time being it is an BGG exclusive.
It has run out once before so it depends on your sense of urgency

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.