Eddie Skelson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Every now and then a game comes along that gets played to death at our store and this time around its the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game.

At £50 you I feel you are perfectly entitled to expect a LOT of stuff in your box. Call me shallow but I want to see lots of figures, boards, cards and some dice. Even if the game doesn't use dice. Because of this when opening Pathfinder you could be instantly underwhelmed. Its only slightly better than opening an LCG box and you just paid £20 extra.

Your disappointment ends there however.

The game is about as good as an 'initial' product, of what is sure to be a long line of expansions, can be. You are presented with a healthy number of 'adventures', characters and of course bad guys and items to really get some mileage straight out of the box. There is also an addtional adventure pack included which definitely helps to round out the 'value in the box' worry.

The game can take a while to complete (depending on your choice of scenario or adventure path) but each player turn is fast because there is a finite amount of things you can do. Basically Move, Trade and Explore. Explore and you are likey to be rolling dice to try and obtain an item or fight a bad guy. This is the fun bit.

The outline of the game is simple. You have a set number of locations and each location contains a mix of items, bad guys, allies and possibly the villain's henchmen or the main villain himself. Your task as a party is to track down the main villain AND prevent him from escaping into another location. To do this, as players explore each place they will attempt to encounter and overcome the henchman that is in there, and if they manage this they have the opportunity to 'close' the location. This is good as should the main villain be located, and he escapes, he can no longer hide in that location. You chase him down and corner him.

It boils down to simple maths as far as keeping the villain in your sights however finding him and beating him are two different matters entirely.

Possibly the best and most genius aspect of the game is that it encourages you to track your characters progress. Keeping the items and allies you find during the encounters and switching them out for your 'basic' gear. It's 'almost' roleplay. D&D 4th Editon could have learned a thing or two here.

The game plays well solo, two and multiplayer. There is just no reason not to buy it. Expect a Sci-fi version soon enough is my last thought.

Eddie is an owner of the GTG Games and Hobbies store and posts at their Guild Page!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
DakkaDen wrote:
Expect a Sci-fi version soon enough is my last thought.

I'd love to see an old west version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gindlesperger
United States
Shaker Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
DakkaDen wrote:

If there were to be some sort of retheme--given the zeitgeist, I'd bet on Zombies or Cthulhu first.

I pray to god I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Invictus5000 wrote:
DakkaDen wrote:

If there were to be some sort of retheme--given the zeitgeist, I'd bet on Zombies or Cthulhu first.

I pray to god I'm wrong.

I'd still buy those as well as a superhero version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anker The m80 Hobbit
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice short review

I bet on a "shadowrun 3000"ninja version and a "Shockstone Of The Multiverse"arrrh...

Anyway it looks like a nice game.meeple

And have recieved it in the mail today
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
flag msg tools
badge
M80DK wrote:
And have recieved it in the mail today

Congratulations. I hope you get a full amount of plays this weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
£50! I paid £30 for mine delivered from Book Depository.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Full S
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
Huh. Cthulhu's almost as overdone as zombies, but I'd play a Laundry Files version. British spies dealing with bureaucracy, paperclip audits, the horrors at the bottom of the Mandelbrot set and the looming threat of CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN.

On the other hand, I really don't want Equoid (the latest story, about unicorns) to be illustrated.

gamecat_uk wrote:
£50! I paid £30 for mine delivered from Book Depository.

I did too, and it eventually arrived. If it had been £10 I'd've ordered it elsewhere, but £20 was too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Schwark
United States
Manitowoc
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Invictus5000 wrote:
DakkaDen wrote:

I pray to god I'm wrong.

I would definitely want to see a Steampunk retheme, and it's popular enough right now that it could happen. Please, oh please, oh please...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Skelson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Shadowrun has its Deck Building game due out soon and it will be interesting to see if they have managed to move on from the 'usual suspects' currently out there. Not these are in any way bad but to have a fresh mechanic introduced that adds the kind of flavour that Pathfinder has achieved would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Miller
United States
Westminster
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Possibly the best and most genius aspect of the game is that it encourages you to track your characters progress. Keeping the items and allies you find during the encounters and switching them out for your 'basic' gear. It's 'almost' roleplay. D&D 4th Editon could have learned a thing or two here.

Which thing or two? It has items, progress, allies, and retraining.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie Skelson
msg tools
mbmbmb
Indeed it does but when it virtually scrapped its roleplay aspect it could instead have gone for something like Pathfinder Card Game and maintained its orginal concept in a separate game. In my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may be a dumb question, but how would you compare it to the two other co-op dungeon crawls I've played, Ravenloft and Descent (2nd ed)?

We love Descent, but Ravenloft is a bit too far removed from role playing for us, lacking advancement and persistence.

Descent takes soooo long though even for a single adventure, and obviously isn't fully co-op, so there's room for something there at our table, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DakkaDen wrote:
There is just no reason not to buy it.
I can think of a reason: Use the money to buy a better game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.