Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Juul Hirszhorn
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have just bought Runewars revised edition, and have set up our first game session in about 2 weeks time (enough time to let all 4 players read the rules and such).

I noticed that there's only 12 heroes without expansions, and that the maximum number of heroes per player is 3. With 4 players that means we could end up using them all.

How many heroes are usually used in total in a 4-player game?

Is it worth it to buy the expansion just for the heroes (we don't want to play with the entire expansion in the first play(s))?

And are the promo heroes worth it?

Thx,
bonda

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a side if you can find a copy of dungeonquest that adds 6 heroes as well. I play just using runewars and the heroes from dungeonquest and have plenty of enjoyment from just those groups of heroes, but I can see having fewer heroes as a problem.

I'd recommend getting either dungeonquest and/or banners of war, especially if you plan on playing with 4 people most of the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Knurhiem Ironhack
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also got Runewars recently, and from a bit of testing and some online research I can infer that having heroes is not the most important part of the game, sure they can help a quite a bit in getting runes IF you manage to get the Captain of the Heroes League title. Otherwise they help in combat. Consider as well that heroes sometimes desert you.

Of course I need more experience with the game to back all what I'm saying, but, one thing I can be sure of is that you may want to wait a bit till you get the expansion. Play the base game a bit, get to know the factions, the mechanics and the questing, and then get the expansion.

Also, you may want to know that if you get DungeonQuest, the heroes you get there (6) are compatible with Runewars, the game contains bonus character cards for Runewars, Descent and other games (of the Terrinoth-verse). It is possible that the other Terrinoth-verse games have these bonuses as well. Can anyone confirm that please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I also made a bunch of Custom Heroes, which basically now lets you use EVERY hero that existed in other Descent (First edition) and Runebound games (except Midnight).

If I recall, that's close to 60 heroes; you don't have to worry about running out, and it means you aren't using the same heroes in every game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Winter
United States
Manistee
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
First off buy Banners of War now. Maybe before even finishing reading this if you can. It finishes off the game and gives plenty of variety for years to come. In the last 2 years with the game. more than 30 plays(just played again last night. I have never seen all players max out with heroes. Its not that it cannot happen its just we are viscous enough with each other to keep it from happening. Heroes will be killed or stolen or leave you in some instances. You will find influence often has better uses than buying a third hero.
3 heroes is the limit of heroes you may have at one time in runwars. If you play with Banners of War you have the option of adding Commanders. You would then get 2 heroes to start one would be designated a commander and gets special powers.
One thing I would like to say is... this game after all this time still surprises me and my group and layers of strategy keep revealing itself to us .even last night we had at least 4 ah ha moments that got us excited all over again. The group I play with has been gaming together for more than 20 years and this has become one of if not the favorite board game we play. They were very hesitant to play at first probably took me 3 months to get it on the table. but now its almost mandatory to bring or I get a good ribbing.

Bottom line...What a game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's pretty common to use up all the heroes in a game or at least see all of them after just 1-2 plays. The expansion really helps to add variety to the too-thin decks in Runewars, especially Heroes.

The expansion is amazing though, recommend you get it. It's easy to leave out some of the rules stuff and just thicken the Hero, Season decks etc.

Promo heroes: if you can find these still... you'd have to print your own Hero card too and make it match with your Hero deck.

Scott: 60 heroes are pointless without 60 hero figs yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
selwyth wrote:

True; I keep meaning to make some "stand ups" to go with them for those that don't have the Descent or Runebound figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
selwyth wrote:

True; I keep meaning to make some "stand ups" to go with them for those that don't have the Descent or Runebound figures.

Do you mean your heros use sculpts already in the Runebound universe?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
sigmazero13 wrote:
selwyth wrote:

Do you mean your heros use sculpts already in the Runebound universe?

Yes, every one of the heroes in my "Custom Heroes" files are in one of the Runebound or Descent expansions (and some of them are in both a Runebound and Descent expansion).

Prior to Banners of War, I had custom cards for the 8 heroes included there as well, but I removed them from my sheets when the expansion came out since they weren't needed anymore.

I'll put a list of which heroes go with which expansion(s) later tonight, if it helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, the heroes from the base game are all from the Descent and Runebound base games.

The heroes from Banners of war are also in the Descent base game, and in the Runebound expansion "Island of Dread"

The following heroes are from the Descent expansion "Well of Darkness" (there are no Runebound expansions with them):
- Brother Glyr
- Laurel of Bloodwood
- Lord Hawthorne
- Nanok of the Blade
- Runemaster Thorn
- Tehterys

The following heroes are from the Descent expansion "Altar of Despair" and the Runebound expansion "Sands of Al-Kalim":
- Aurim
- Corbin
- Eliam
- Kirga
- Sahla
- Tahlia

The following heroes are from the Descent expansion "Tomb of Ice" and the Runebound expansion "The Frozen Wastes":
- Arvel Worldwalker
- Karnon
- Laughin Buldar
- Okaluk and Rakash
- Shiver
- Zyla

The following heroes are from the Runebound expansion "Mists of Zenaga" (there is no Descent expansion with them):
- Annen the Trailblazer
- Kala the Hunter
- Maliki the Claw
- Runemaster Tara
- Saka & Kuto
- Spiritspeaker Elga

Then there are the 4 "promo" heroes, and the 6 from DungeonQuest.

12 - Runewars base
8 - Runewars expansion
4 - Promo
6 - DungeonQuest
24 - "Custom" heroes

54 heroes all told
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.