Popular Tags: [View All]
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own the marvellous cool Downtown. Why should I buy BB?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
k b
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Because it's the great Battle of Britain AND when it sells out and you don't have your own copy you will be adrift in a miasma of sadness, regret and remorse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because:

-It is about Blitzkrieg
-It puts you in the shoes of Hermann or Downing
-It let's you plan each mission / targets / routes / yourself
-It surprises you all the time: wheather, spotting, events
-It has a fantastic historic feel
-It puts you in the operations rooms of back then
-It is a mature game: you will need to study hard in order to get better
-It is another game on your shelves to choose from
-It is nice comparisson game: modern - WWII
-It has a fantastic Campaign game that allows you to play the complete BBoB from July untill December. This will takes approximately as long as the original battle and this brings me to my last point:
-It is as real as you can get to plan and execute WWII raids with the resources available.

If you are interested in WWII it is a must have!

For me this is the best realistic game available. It sure takes some time to learn and to play but rewards are high.
The more if you are enjoying Downtown, a game that I unfortunately never played up to know. However you always have to be careful with comparing games and expectations.

Just buy The BB and have tremendous fun. Ensure you have a geek you can play it with as solitairy suitability is not that high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harae wrote:

-It has a fantastic Campaign game that allows you to play the complete BBoB from July untill December.

News to me! It does have a mini-campaign element that provides for playing out a full day's worth of raids, but there's nothing that I would consider to be a campaign game in the sense of replaying the whole of the Battle of Britain.

But - why buy it?

Well, if you like Downtown, chances are you'll like this. Similar themed game in that one side must plan and execute raids while the other tries to disrupt and defeat those plans. The onus of deception is on the attacker in TBB, though, as the LW player tries to sneak raids through or get the RAF to commit units in the wrong place.

It's a very tense game that rewards careful thought and analysis, IMO. You may also gain new and different insights into the Battle of Britain at this level by playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gotthard Heinrici (prev. Graf Strachwitz)
Germany
Düsseldorf
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Oystein,

Sorry if I have falsly informed you about the campaign game. I thought you could link the scenario's to a Campaign but I have not reached that stage yet. Anyhow, we are curious if we managed to talk you into it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh -yes.

I own other Battle of Britain games. The not so good TSR Battle of Britain, and one of the best solitaire - RAF.

BB was down to approx 4. place on my wish list. Just wanted to kick it higher up on my wish list. But could not find valid argument with Downtown in my collection.

Here I stand has now dropped down to 2. place. Ordered Havoc-Hundred years war today.

Burning Blue is due next. Here I stand must wait a couple of months.. or wife will probably give me the infamous robot"mortal wound" eye ball laser.goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Brimmicombe-Wood
United Kingdom
Ely
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I own other Battle of Britain games. The not so good TSR Battle of Britain, and one of the best solitaire - RAF.

Both fine games, but you will want mine to round out the collection.

The Burning Blue is a very different play experience to Downtown. It is a completely different game system and a very different battle.

The command and control differences mean there is much greater emphasis on the raid plan. But also the nature of the scenarios--many raids versus the single raid in Downtown--mean there are far more opportunities for deception on the part of the attackers.

I think you will enjoy both games and for slightly different reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Smith
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eker wrote:
I already own the marvellous cool Downtown. Why should I buy BB?

Because it´s bloody brilliant!

Now bugger what the wife thinks and buy it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oystein eker
Norway
Unspecified
sola
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good news - you guys won. Picked up a shrinkwrap at eBay today.

Bad news - wanted to play Downtown in Easter, but I have lost the USN datasheet! cry

Hopefully it has been misplaced in a gamebox (approx 130 to search). Worst case scenario if it has been dumped with used logsheets. But -most probably it is hiding behind/under/inside my games. Just a few hours search ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milne
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Herts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good decision! When you get to play a game, please let us know what you think (or even put an AAR up here...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.