Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Napoleon's Triumph» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cavalry screens- I dont see the point. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Edward Kenworthy
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've watched the, generally really useful, video on cavalry screens but I can't see what effect they are having.

As far as I can tell:
1. Light cavalry sits on the road in front of a Corps.
2. Corps moves (attacks) into that locale.
3. Light cavalry retreats.
4. Corps keeps moving as if nothing happened.

Ie the cavalry screen had absolutely zero effect.

I assume I must be missing something.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CountBrass wrote:
So I've watched the, generally really useful, video on cavalry screens but I can't see what effect they are having.

As far as I can tell:
1. Light cavalry sits on the road in front of a Corps.
2. Corps moves (attacks) into that locale.
3. Light cavalry retreats.
4. Corps keeps moving as if nothing happened.

Ie the cavalry screen had absolutely zero effect.

I assume I must be missing something.


Unless the attacking corps is all cavalry, it cannot declare an attack move by road (see bottom of middle column on page 5 of the rules). So step 2 must be non-road movement. So the corps cannot continue moving.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Kenworthy
United Kingdom
Birmingham
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you!

Having just re-read the rules for the nth time of course that rule pops out at me AFTER I've posted.

But thank you again.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spyros Gkiouzepas
Greece
THESSALONIKI
flag msg tools
42
badge
But what is the question?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

And then off course you can attack the locale from another approach. If the opponent sent their entire corps against the cavalry screen the entire corps collapses. That means a massive morale loss, step loss and momentum loss as it takes time to put a corps back together.

Even if the opponent detaches a unit to face the screen, you can still attack the corps from another approach and weaken it further.

the importance here is that you can pick off units from the corps making it difficult for the commander to give orders to all those units.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greeek geek wrote:

And then off course you can attack the locale from another approach. If the opponent sent their entire corps against the cavalry screen the entire corps collapses. That means a massive morale loss, step loss and momentum loss as it takes time to put a corps back together.


That is only true if the attacker chooses to leave their corps in the approach, rather than moving them into reserve in the location vacated by the cavalry. I've never seen anyone do that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scipio O.
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greeek geek wrote:
the importance here is that you can pick off units from the corps making it difficult for the commander to give orders to all those units.


This is vital. A block sent to an approach during the Allied advance may well not move again in the entire game. Slow them down, whittle them down. Retreat without losses. Cavalry are essential; I always wish I had more of them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cfmcdonald wrote:
Greeek geek wrote:

And then off course you can attack the locale from another approach. If the opponent sent their entire corps against the cavalry screen the entire corps collapses. That means a massive morale loss, step loss and momentum loss as it takes time to put a corps back together.


That is only true if the attacker chooses to leave their corps in the approach, rather than moving them into reserve in the location vacated by the cavalry. I've never seen anyone do that.


No, what was meant (I think) is that if the entire corp was sent in attack, then it is in the new locale, rather than just a unit or two. Then, cavalry (or infantry for that matter) can feint/attack on all sides and cause lots of damage.

At least, that's what I would say, regardless of the intent of the original post.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.