Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Mangini
Australia
Gosnells
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondering if anyone out there has ever had to do this. Not because they were missing but due to the quality of them.

I just opened up my copy of Field Marshal and was happily punching out the chits. I moved the board to get to the storage tray at the bottom of the box and there was the die. I picked it up and it must be the lowest quality, cheapest feeling, badly painted abomination I've ever seen.

I did only pay $5.50 retail for this game - which with the price of games in Australia is like giving it away - but seriously I'd have trouble throwing this at someone it was that light.

I just went to my box of dice and grabbed another one and turfed the one that came with the game but I'm thinking a lot of people wouldn't have that option.

Has anyone else out there had this kind of experience and with what games ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Goh
Singapore
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
Budding wargamer
badge
My role model for his brains, calm demeanour and appetite for snacks!
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle dice for War of the Ring (Second Edition). Those are so out of line with the Action dice in size and colour, so I replaced them with dice from Chessex. Think a lot of gamers have done the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original King of Tokyo dice, the non-engraved ones, were very crappy. All chipped up and faded quickly. They were bad enough that the manufacturer actually sold the engraved dice set separately so people could replace them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bimm wrote:
The original King of Tokyo dice, the non-engraved ones, were very crappy. All chipped up and faded quickly. They were bad enough that the manufacturer actually sold the engraved dice set separately so people could replace them.

I was surprised when I saw these considering how MUCH rolling you do with them.

My DOOM dice had to be replaced and got stickered dice for those. Same type of dice as KoT. Any game that comes out with silk screened/printed dice is just about a no-buy for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember when I was a kid and played HeroQuest http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/699/heroquest that the images on the dice faded fast. What I am unsure about is if this happened from extensive play or cheap components. Best I recall the dice were rather light.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barbarick
United States
Ashland
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I replaced my dice in Star Trek Fleet Captains. Not necessarily due to quality, but because those dice were so small.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Grankin
Ukraine
Mariupol
flag msg tools
Dice from Ghost Stories were the worst I had ever seen. Some sides completely lost all paint after just 10 games!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United States
Montgomery
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have 1 of original d&d dice. The D20 was almost a marble when me and my friends tossed out the second story of the barracks in late 83.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both groups I play Mansions of Madness with have replaced the included d10 with one or more "better" ones. As the keeper, I haven't noticed any problems with the included die, but the players seem to think it rolls too many tens. (Ten is auto-fail for a check.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Morstein
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I never bothered to replace them, the dice that game with came with the LEGO Orient Expedition sets were easily the worse I've ever seen. They were just regular 6-sided dice, but they were misshapen to the extent that no two opposite sides were actually parallel with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lanning
United States
Fort Wayne
IN
flag msg tools
badge
Rorschach says "FEED ME!"
mbmbmbmbmb
parkrrrr wrote:
Both groups I play Mansions of Madness with have replaced the included d10 with one or more "better" ones. As the keeper, I haven't noticed any problems with the included die, but the players seem to think it rolls too many tens. (Ten is auto-fail for a check.)

I was going to light a candle and perform an exorcism on that d10. It truly seems possessed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
Ratio wrote:
Battle dice for War of the Ring (Second Edition). Those are so out of line with the Action dice in size and colour, so I replaced them with dice from Chessex. Think a lot of gamers have done the same.

Yep. I did exactly the same thing (and came to this thread to say so!). Chessex red/black marbled dice for the Shadow and blue/gold marbled for the Free People

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yah, speaking of mishapen dice, the 20 sider in Aquaduct is squished some. Squished enough to notice and man, you notice when rolling the die, too.

It has become our starting die, just because.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
Ratio wrote:

Yep. I did exactly the same thing (and came to this thread to say so!). Chessex red/black marbled dice for the Shadow and blue/gold marbled for the Free People

Same here, the included dice are so bad the only use I've found for them was to put them in a screw-top container and make a rattle toy for a very young child.

I haven't upgraded to fancy colored dice, just using plain Bicycle brand, but it's still a major upgrade from what comes with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more serious note, the dice that came with my copy of Terakh: A Creative Strategy Game were truly atrocious. The first thing I did with that game was go to my local game store and dig some appropriately-colored d8 out of their big-jar-o-loose-dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ted anderson
United States
southington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theflint wrote:
Dice from Ghost Stories were the worst I had ever seen. Some sides completely lost all paint after just 10 games!

Were the dice sticky? I played a friend's copy that he just opened up and the dice were sticky from I think the paint on the sides. It was quite odd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Maunder
Wales
Newcastle Emlyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a fan of the Pathfinder adventure card game's polyhedral set. Don't know what it is about them but they just don't do it for me so I'm looking at swapping them out for another lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
magicman6173 wrote:
I remember when I was a kid and played HeroQuest http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/699/heroquest that the images on the dice faded fast. What I am unsure about is if this happened from extensive play or cheap components. Best I recall the dice were rather light.

HeroQuest dice were wood and definitely suffered from a combination of use general use and low quality.

There are quite a few third party makers of HQ dice that make them anywhere from plastic to metal to the original wood. I love the classic wooden ones as I associate them with that specific game, but once you see them in plastic its like they should've been there from the start!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
My copy of Police Precinct had a die that was broken in half. Being a gamer I had plenty of dice ready to grab and toss in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror, just because those plain white Yahtzee dice don't fit the look of the game at all. Got some nice green Chessex dice instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I replaced the dice in Arkham Horror with more and better dice. I swear the dice that come with the game are cursed, I constantly failed check with them!

I also replaced the dice in Pathfinder Adventure Card Game: Rise of the Runelords – Base Set again with more and better dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
I pull all the dice out of most games and pool them.

Larger dice just don't get used (usually) - being replaced
with old AH dice for actual use.

Unfortunately, some of the worst dice (say the wooden ones
from Catan) STAY in the box and end up getting
used for that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Falconer
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember those crappy dice that came with the original Basic D&D. And custom dice were born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
Gwfalcon wrote:
Remember those crappy dice that came with the original Basic D&D.

You mean these:

Though 'dice' is a bit of an exalted term for chits.

Prior to that (with the original three booklets) it was even harder to find polyhedrals.
At least with Basic, they gave a mail-away offer where you could get
some dice.

I was lucky though - had an old game called Reckon (not in the DB here)
which had most of the polyhedrals. No four-sider though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dion Baxter
United Kingdom
Canterbury
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hated the dice in Eclipse. They just didn't seem to roll properly (and there weren't enough!) Bought a different set of about 60 dice in appropiate colours and gave my old dice to a very grateful friend who had bemoaned of not having enough of the originals. Everyone happy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.