Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: How exactly does drafting players work? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really get drafting players.... say after payouts are given, player A has 4 star player payouts... does he just select one of the 4 and put the rest on the bottom of the deck?

From what pile does he choose from? His own star player deck, or the free agent star player deck?

Also what are the separate leagues on the back for? (Note that I have the expansion so there are 3 leagues).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decks:

You form one draft Deck for each league. This consists of the "neutral" Star players and ALL the Starplayers from the various factions in that league.

For a draft you pick as many cards as that one payout notes, pick one and put the rest at the bottom of the deck. This does mean that a human team may end up with a dwarfen star player and that is as it should be by the rules.
However the human team may not end up with an orkish starplayer since those are in the deck of another league/division.

Drafting:
If you get a starplayer payout from more than one highlight (or even more than one spot in the same highlight) you repeat this for each instance.

So for instance you get 1 Icon from Highlight number one, 2 Icons from Highlight number two's endzone and 2 Icons from winning highlight number 2 you would then:
Draw one Player from the deck of the league his team belongs to and keep it (put it face down with all other gains for this round until the "reveal" bit later on).
Draw 2 players from the deck. Choose one and put the other to the bottom.

So you would end up with three new star players.

You do NOT combine all Icons to draft 5 cards and then only pick one of the five players in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bimmy Jim
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect answer.

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
However the human team may not end up with an orkish starplayer since those are in the deck of another league/division.

With one notable exception: Morg N' Thorg is an orc who has a neutral star-player card in both the OWA and CWC decks. (See pg. 16 of the rulebook).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
With one notable exception: Morg N' Thorg is an orc who has a neutral star-player card in both the OWA and CWC decks.

I bet you wouldn't call Morg an orc to his Ogre face . And Morg is also found in the DSS star player deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Quote:

With one notable exception: Morg N' Thorg is an orc who has a neutral star-player card in both the OWA and CWC decks. (See pg. 16 of the rulebook).

Yes, but that's part of his background story. His answer to why he's one of the best in the league was "Cause I've played for all the teams in the league, except the ones I haven't.". Truly insightful words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
Quote:

I just knew someone had to go and pick that nit ;-)

But personally I file him as "neutral" what with him being labeled "neutral" and everything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
Scottgun wrote:
Quote:

But personally I file him as "neutral" what with him being labeled "neutral" and everything.

He does have a special rule you need to be aware of, so I think it is at least one grade above nit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
Scottgun wrote:
Quote:

He does have a special rule you need to be aware of, so I think it is at least one grade above nit.

Fair point. Have a GG for adequate nit-and-a-half-pickery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juha R
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chrisdk wrote:
Decks:

You form one draft Deck for each league. This consists of the "neutral" Star players and ALL the Starplayers from the various factions in that league.

For a draft you pick as many cards as that one payout notes, pick one and put the rest at the bottom of the deck. This does mean that a human team may end up with a dwarfen star player and that is as it should be by the rules.

Drafting:
If you get a starplayer payout from more than one highlight (or even more than one spot in the same highlight) you repeat this for each instance.

So for instance you get 1 Icon from Highlight number one, 2 Icons from Highlight number two's endzone and 2 Icons from winning highlight number 2 you would then:
Draw one Player from the deck of the league his team belongs to and keep it (put it face down with all other gains for this round until the "reveal" bit later on).

You do NOT combine all Icons to draft 5 cards and then only pick one of the five players in this case.

Is it really so that you can use starplayers from other races, who belong to the same league as you? If that is true, then what is the point of the races on the starplayer cards in the first place?

Edit: Just have to add; the dwarven Deathroller on a wood elf team just seems so wrong!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K.
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Juxur wrote:
chrisdk wrote:
Decks:

Drafting:

Is it really so that you can use starplayers from other races, who belong to the same league as you? If that is true, then what is the point of the races on the starplayer cards in the first place?

Edit: Just have to add; the dwarven Deathroller on a wood elf team just seems so wrong!

Yes that is really how it works.

As to the point... no idea. Maybe a remnant of rules that didn't make it into the final game or in preparation for stuff from future expansions that might use it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a 20 year veteran of the Miniatures game of this, I've found it odd that you can (by the rules) recruit Star Players that you shouldn't be able to (Such as the Deathroller for a Woodelf team). We have house ruled that you can only recruit Star Players that are from your team (Obviously no restriction on Freebooters).

The one thing you need to be aware of with this though, is that if people draw a Star Player they can't then use, we just place that card at the bottom of the deck and draw a new Star Player card/s until they have the correct amount of legal choices as per their upgrade points.

All in all, we haven't found this rule makes any difference on the outcome on games, merely helps it fit more thematically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.