Subject: Int vs Ancients for Rep - Does anyone use this strategy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On paper it sounds like a lot of actions for not much benefit, but if you don't have any rep, is it worth it?

Find a hex with ancients or GCDS. Send a single Interceptor against it. Get VP just for participating in battle. You'll only draw 1 Rep tile, but it could be a good draw.

1 Action to Build + 3 Materials
1 Action to Move

Seems expensive for on average 1-3 VP.

Again, you would only use this if not all your slots had filled yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Bettan
Canada
Cote St Luc
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would only send an interceptor into a losing battle like that in the final round if I had no better actions to do and was missing VP. But most of the time I use my interceptors in the final round to pin other ships to protect my sectors.

It seems like a bit of a high risk desperate strategy that doesn't pay well. Might be more useful in early rounds to try and claim the 4 VP tokens (with a lot of luck)

BTW - You can get between 1-4 VP on reputation draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carnage994 wrote:
BTW - You can get between 1-4 VP on reputation draws.

Yep, I do realize the values of the rep tiles, but on average, you're not going to consistently get 4 VP from this strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz Madaj
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Mechanema early in the game...hmm.. why not? Especially that you have slight chance to win with +2 computers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your numbers are wrong.

It is half an action to build (up to 1/3 for Mechanema) and half an action to move (up to 1/3 for Terran) per interceptor.

The payoff is very unlikely to be 3VP, you'd need to draw a 4 and also assume that your best discarded rep tile before the endgame will be a 1. Very unlikely. I would suspect the payoff to be mostly in the 0-2VP range if done in an early round, with an average slightly below +1VP at endgame perhaps.

Do factor in the positive externality for denying another player that same draw, let's call it +1 full VP on average.

So I would say 1 action, 3 materials for +1VP if done by round 3. Sounds like it's not worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Melenberg
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flying_neko wrote:
So I would say 1 action, 3 materials for +1VP if done by round 3. Sounds like it's not worth it.

And if done in the first 3 rounds you are opening yourself up to more threats!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
neko flying
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TopherMel wrote:
flying_neko wrote:

And if done in the first 3 rounds you are opening yourself up to more threats!

I agree.

For comparison, consider the 6 Materials or 2VP discovery tile. I think most people would agree that it is generally slightly better to choose the Materials in the early rounds, and the VPs in the midgame/endgame. Either way, they are comparable in value. So it's fair to say 3 Materials >= 1 VP in the first three rounds. Here you would paying a whole action on top of that.

Tahsin's idea is interesting, but on closer inspection it doesn't look like a good strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Thornby
United Kingdom
University of Warwick
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do find though that being the first to get into combat can reap huge rewards. By the mid game most of the big tiles have been pulled already so if you're late to the party you're going to be behind at the end, so you had better hope that whatever advantage you gained from ignoring military early on was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.