Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Halsey
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys. Love this site. I spend way too much time on it since it was recommended to me. Each day I explore more and more and find myself lurking and contributing to the forums.

I have a question about the "My Geek" function. Why do people record plays? I'm just not sure what that means.

Is it as simple as, "I played Lords of Waterdeep. Check."

Just curious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One reason

Review A
This game is shyt, (has no plays). Conclusion, does not know what they are talking about.
Review B
This game is shyt, (has 1 or 2 plays). Conclusion, may not know what they are talking about.
Review C
This game is shyt, (has many plays). Conclusion, may know what they are talking about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I only do it so I remember what games I have played. After a few months of monthly game meets where I get introduced to about 3-4 games each time, it's nice to have some kind of record to jog my memory when I'm trying to recall that one game with the space craft that was quite good...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally what I'd put in in the descriptions are who I played with, scores, locations and some notes of how I felt about the game and whether it's my (or others) first time playing it.

The reason? Among many reasons, I like to keep track of how many new/unique games that I've played at the end of the year. Also, I often see how many time (normally how many plays I've got) I've spent gaming every month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerbear
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
To explain further. It is as simple or complex as you want it to be. You can record much more than just a play although that is all I do. I like to keep track and it lets me know which games are being avoided to play them again.

Plus I think it is fun. I can look back and say man I have played that game over 100 times it was well worth the money I spent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Personal tracking of "Hey, we haven't played that in a long time."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recorded plays feed into individual statistics, such as BGG Extended Stats:
http://friendless.servegame.org/dynamic/index.html
A few of these stats track things like how long it has been since I last played a game, which could be useful if I'm deciding whether to keep the game or not.

They also feed into site-wide statistics, such as games played by most users. http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/162084/bgg-top-50-most...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i think some people just like recording a game and how it played out. perhaps there was a great couple turns of play, or perhaps its a means to collect thoughts for better strategies.

Also, I think there are some external sites that will scrape the recorded plays and game collection information and give you a rundown on which games in your collection are getting lots of plays and which games are losing the love.

Note: recording events is not limited to just board gaming. I know cavers who write up every trip they did, craftspeople who photograph all completed projects, bibliophiles who write down the title of every book they've read, and scrapbooking is all about recording any life event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Celerier
Belgium
Koksijde
flag msg tools
De gustibus et coloribus non disputandum.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:

Review C
This game is shyt, (has many plays). Conclusion, may know what they are talking about.

May also be slightly masochistic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Willett
United States
Chapel Hill
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
www.blacklocustgames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Why record plays?
In addition, some games have various scenarios (Mice & Mystics, Descent, et al.) Recording plays and also leaving a note of what scenario you completed or where you left off in the comments section is handy as well.

With the tremendous amounts of replay value some games now have you can also keep track of which ancients you beat in Arkham Horror, which Lord you played with in Lords of Waterdeep etc. Tracking games can be pretty much anything you want it to be so have fun with it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I never record plays.

Bookkeeping is for work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:

Mine are a "bit" more whistle :

Gears of War: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/42776?userid=166107

Middle-Earth Quest: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/31563?userid=166107

Price of Freedom: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/14701?userid=166107

Talisman: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/27627?userid=166107
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
TWrecks wrote:

Mine are a "bit" more :whistle: :

Gears of War: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/42776?userid=166107

Middle-Earth Quest: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/31563?userid=166107

Price of Freedom: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/14701?userid=166107

Talisman: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/plays/thing/27627?userid=166107
When I saw Price of Freedom I thought you mean that crappy old RPG from the 80's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I only started recording my plays just under 2 years ago and I'm kicking myself that I didn't start to do that earlier

Reasons :

1) What was the name of that game again we played x months ago ? We play a lot of games we don't own ourselves so it's no use checking my collection.

2) It's like a picture album - on occasion I like to browse through it and recall a particular game or gamenight
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I still call the game in question, plus, the full title The Price of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 is just too much of a keyboard-full to type in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TWrecks wrote:

I have a question about the "My Geek" function. Why do people record plays? I'm just not sure what that means.

You can click on it to see what it does without messing anything up. You have to click save to make changes.

It allows you to enter a record that you've played a game. So it will show that you've played the game one time on such-and-such a date. You can click on "More" to enter in the location, quantity (if you played more than once) and notes. You can click on "add players" to enter a list of players and what the scores were, etc.

It shows up on your profile, so you can look at a history of what games you've played and/or a total by game. There is also a site you can use to view some additional statistics, for example: http://friendless.servegame.org/dynamic/result/Thunkd

I log plays because I find it interesting to look back on how often I play a game, what my win ratio is, etc. It's also useful to settle arguments about "We just played this!" and "I always lose!". I can also look back in the history by date and look at the games played and scores and that is enough for me to recall most of the evening, something I could rarely do without those promts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duke Of Lizards
United States
Worcester
Vermont
flag msg tools
Livin's mostly wasting time, and I waste my share of mine
badge
I am a breathing time machine
mbmbmbmbmb
slaybalj wrote:
i think some people just like recording a game and how it played out. perhaps there was a great couple turns of play, or perhaps its a means to collect thoughts for better strategies.

Also, I think there are some external sites that will scrape the recorded plays and game collection information and give you a rundown on which games in your collection are getting lots of plays and which games are losing the love.

Note: recording events is not limited to just board gaming. I know cavers who write up every trip they did, craftspeople who photograph all completed projects, bibliophiles who write down the title of every book they've read, and scrapbooking is all about recording any life event.

Don't forget birders and our life-lists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the New to You, Most Played, and GCL Geeklists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I started recording for a few reasons. First, I'm a geek and I like the stats. And second, I record for the collective. With many people recording stats, I want to do my part in building stats.

Use the site as you want. I enjoy how flexible it has been over the years for a hobby I love.

Edit:

I track date and where I play. If it's my game group, that has it's own mark. Home is noted, friends houses, conventions, etc.

In the comments section, I like putting in the scores or who won or even a short note on the game. Since I am on the Geek every day, I just jot down what played and scores from the night before and add the next day. I know I have missed some but for the most part, when I went all in on recording, I think I got 98%+ of my games recorded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was doing it for a little while and it was pretty fun to look back at "what we played last Christmas" for example.

But I was too lazy to keep it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My reason is simple: my gaming group could check who and when won a game ir order to claim victories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Arctica' Gary
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
One reason

Review A
This game is shyt, (has no plays). Conclusion, does not know what they are talking about.
Review B
This game is shyt, (has 1 or 2 plays). Conclusion, may not know what they are talking about.
Review C

In this example, I would not trust the validity of the review. If the game was so bad, why do they keep playing it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slow Motion Walter
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
"We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men."--George Orwell
mbmbmb
I record plays because it's easy to do with the BGG app on my phone, and because it's interesting to look back and fun to answer questions.

When my wife insists that she's never won Glory to Rome, I pop out my phone and, oh look, she's won four out of the 11 games we've played. When my buddy wonders which of us is actually best at Village, I can smugly show him that I've won 5 of our 6 head-to-heads. Once I even used recorded plays to figure out a weird charge on our credit card bill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Huntington Station
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Why not give it a go as an experiment?

I tried that some years back. It was a pain-in-the-a$$ for me. I didn't even record every play because I forgot many. I've seen my 'played games' list here and it wasn't an accurate depiction of the games I played over that period. In the end it was merely work so I quickly gave it up.

I can't imagine finishing a game and having to rush off and get onto BGG to log my play, or trying to remember to do it later. Games are fun! Bookkeeping to log their plays was not fun for me. "Hold on, I have to go log my play of this game of Zombie Dice - yes, again!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Klinck
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I never record plays.

Bookkeeping is for work.

I always do. Stats are fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.