Subject: Push the Limit's second action question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was reading over the PtL upgrade card and I just realized that it specifically says the second action is "from your action bar". Does that mean that you can't use any of your upgrade cards as the second action (for example, saboteur)?

That would be a bummer, although I suppose you could just remember to do saboteur first, and an action form your action bar second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct and Correct. The second action has to be from your action bar and it can't be a duplicate action either. So you have to do Saboteur first then focus or whatever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Woodworth
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say yes you're right. You can only perform actions from the action bar, so only things like focus, target lock, evade, ect...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But there are some upgrades that add an action "to your action bar" - for instance, the Millennium Falcon title. These can be used with Push the Limit (as the second action).

As an aside, these same upgrade actions can't be used when a critical says "You can't use actions from your action bar" whereas others can (like R2-F2 or Marksmanship).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
But there are some upgrades that add an action "to your action bar" - for instance, the Millennium Falcon title. These can be used with Push the Limit (as the second action).

As an aside, these same upgrade actions can't be used when a critical says "You can't use actions from your action bar" whereas others can (like R2-F2 or Marksmanship).

True but that doesn't change the actual rule. It's just adding more actions that apply to it, they are still in the action bar even if they didn't appear there originally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:

That would be a bummer, although I suppose you could just remember to do saboteur first, and an action form your action bar second.

This is usually the case. It is incredibly rare that I see someone use Push The Limit on a ship with 2 "non action bar" actions. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it. So at that point it is just semantics. I suppose in a tournament someone might say "You already said target lock so you cant marksman with PTL". I can't think of a situation where a card gives you an action that you wouldn't have been able to do first. Maybe if you boosted into range 1 of someone then tried to PTL to use Squad Leader(never mind, those are both elite pilot upgrades so that can't happen).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Boosting into range for Saboteur would be one example.

The biggest impact is probably with crits and an action-granting upgrade. You can't fix the crit and use the upgrade's action in the same Push.

The "on your action bar" for extra actions is pretty pervasive. Squad Leader and Vader's second action are the only ones I can think of that allow unlimited choice of free action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
killerardvark wrote:
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:

This is usually the case. It is incredibly rare that I see someone use Push The Limit on a ship with 2 "non action bar" actions. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it. So at that point it is just semantics. I suppose in a tournament someone might say "You already said target lock so you cant marksman with PTL". I can't think of a situation where a card gives you an action that you wouldn't have been able to do first. Maybe if you boosted into range 1 of someone then tried to PTL to use Squad Leader(never mind, those are both elite pilot upgrades so that can't happen).

You can't try and fix two ship crits that require actions to fix. I have seen this before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Brown
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
There is no reason to have two A's at the beginning of aardvark. I simply won't do it.
mbmbmbmbmb
nimdabew wrote:
killerardvark wrote:
Cptnhalfbeard wrote:

You can't try and fix two ship crits that require actions to fix. I have seen this before.

Wow, that would be a most unfortunate situation to be in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.