John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

At this point in time there have been about a dozen reviews for Infection. It has been reviewed on podcasts, in videos, on game review websites, in one in print gaming magazine (Counter Magazine) and a few right here on BGG. meeple

So which review had the most influence in your decision to spend your hard earned dollars—or pounds, Euros, etc.—on a little solitaire board game by an unknown designer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler McLaughlin
Canada
Medicine Hat
Alberta
flag msg tools
Talk
badge
Words
mbmbmbmbmb
The Counter Magazine review. Clicked buy as soon as I finished reading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex F
Germany
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
I just bought it because it looked fun. I'm way too liberal with my money!

If I wouldn't have, then Marco's video review (marnaudo) would have convinced me, I know that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Shelley
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in. - Unknown
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't bought the game yet. I actually wanted to buy it together with some other games yesterday, but then it was sold out at my prefered game pusher :S, so now I'm signed up for a notification for when it comes in stock again, which should happen within two weeks.

Anyways, what made me want to buy the game the most wasn't so much any specific review, instead it was your presence and enthusiasm here on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco.

Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd recently bought Yggdrasil (which can also be played as a solitaire game) on his recommendation. After my playing experience matched his review description I also took a chance on Infection, as it looked different to anything I had tried.

I've had it just over a week now and played it at least once every day since it arrived, winning most of my games even on the Viral side. I may try some of the variants soon.

"Just one more game, before I put it away" - I tell myself, but I can't get it off my table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Miller
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Marco for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a personal copy and stock for the shop without seeing a review, purely based on the theme and what information I could get on the VPG site. Glad I did as I enjoy the game and it sells well!

As well as Marco's review, I think that Callasmar (The Lonesome Gamer) did a good honest play-through and by watching this you will get a good idea as to whether this game is for you or not. When I say 'you' I am talking 3rd person and not aiming at you John - you designed it so I hope you would enjoy it anyway ;-)

Here is Callasmar's play-through...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fft6jxZQqg&feature=share&lis...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Callasmar (The Lonesome Gamer). You could definitely feel his overall excitement about Infection.

I haven't purchased this but it is in my next binge when it is in stock at CSI.

Are you thinking of expanding this gem at any point?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gr1mAce wrote:
Callasmar (The Lonesome Gamer). You could definitely feel his overall excitement about Infection.

Thanks for keeping Infection in mind for your next purchase, Brett. I notice you are living in Japan. Would Saito Hobby Games be economical for you to purchase it from?

http://saitohobbygames.jp/products/detail.php?product_id=136...

I am working on a campaign expansion where the player has 10 scenarios, each taking place in a different country. Scenario 1 would be the easiest and start in the Congo, and Scenario 10 would be the hardest and takes places in Atlanta, Georgia. The expansion would add new molecules, proteins, lab equipment and personnel, Status Cards, plus a few other tidbits to make the game more interesting. It would be a true expansion, requiring the base game to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing the game, I didn't feel it needed an expansion; but hearing these ideas it sounds like this could really add a new dimension. A campaign mode sounds great.

I'm very interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Austin
Japan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
Gr1mAce wrote:

Thanks for keeping Infection in mind for your next purchase, Brett. I notice you are living in Japan. Would Saito Hobby Games be economical for you to purchase it from?

I am working on a campaign expansion where the player has 10 scenarios, each taking place in a different country. Scenario 1 would be the easiest and start in the Congo, and Scenario 10 would be the hardest and takes places in Atlanta, Georgia. The expansion would add new molecules, proteins, lab equipment and personnel, Status Cards, plus a few other tidbits to make the game more interesting. It would be a true expansion, requiring the base game to play it.

Many thanks. I didn't know about this site. Alas, I am faithful to CSI. I don't suppose you can get them to restock it anytime soon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gr1mAce wrote:
gedin wrote:
Gr1mAce wrote:

Many thanks. I didn't know about this site. Alas, I am faithful to CSI. I don't suppose you can get them to restock it anytime soon?

Did you click on the "Email me when back in stock" link? That will at least let them know the game is in demand. meeple

Other than that I'm just the lowly game designer and I have no earthly powers over board game retailers.blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
Did you click on the "Email me when back in stock" link? That will at least let them know the game is in demand. :meeple:

Other than that I'm just the lowly game designer and I have no earthly powers over board game retailers.:blush:

As a retailer I can say that I encourage people to do this! Every retailer has a weekly budget and when it comes to re-stocking older games it is helpful to see how popular they are when spending this budget. When I am planning my weekly order, the number of people who have asked to be informed of a re-stock is high up on my criteria as to whether to re-stock a particular game (if I can get it). There are other criteria of course like previous sales performance, availability, general buzz, cries for help on finding stockists on BGG etc.

If no-one asks for a game, or no-one talks about it then it's not going to get stocked so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
I haven't bought the game yet. I actually wanted to buy it together with some other games yesterday, but then it was sold out at my prefered game pusher :S, so now I'm signed up for a notification for when it comes in stock again, which should happen within two weeks.

And now the notification has arrived and I've ordered the game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Please do not hesitate to let me what you think of the game once you've played it--and be sure to rate it too once you've had enough plays! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:
mortenmdk wrote:

Please do not hesitate to let me what you think of the game once you've played it--and be sure to rate it too once you've had enough plays! meeple

I'll be sure to rate it and blog about it. I can't promise when though - I have a huge pile of awesome looking games that I haven't tried yet .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:

Excellent news! Really enjoying the game and I find it already has a lot of replayability but these other ideas sound awesome. A campaign?! Oh yes.

As for my decision to get the game, I tend to periodically check what vids callasmar put out and that was when I came across it. Then checked the comments section here in BGG and I was sold. Purchased it shortly thereafter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
I purchased the game as soon as I saw it listed on VPGs site because it looked interesting to me, was a solitaire game, and because from past experiences I knew that VPG always puts out quality products. So for me there weren't any reviews up yet, the game was brand new.

I'm happy I bought it, its cool, just as I predicted.

Looking forward to the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mortenmdk wrote:
gedin wrote:

I'll be sure to rate it and blog about it. I can't promise when though - I have a huge pile of awesome looking games that I haven't tried yet .

As promised I've now blogged about the game: Dooming humanity body and soul – playing Infection and A.D. 30 for the first time. I haven't played it enough to rate it or write a review yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ørnebjerg Jensen
Denmark
Farum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say the latest video from Ricky Royal in his: "Bodcast - EP29: Infection: Humanity's Last Gasp".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put it on my wishlist after hearing Eric Summerer's review on The Dice Tower. I ended up winning it in a raffle shortly thereafter at a local con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Going on The D6 Generation. Really made you seem very personable and I heard more details that really piqued my interest. I had actually had this on my radar since it released, but the art style isn't my favorite so I had kind of passed it up. After hearing you on there, I watched the Lonely Gamer series and that solidified my resolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyefink wrote:
Going on The D6 Generation. Really made you seem very personable and I heard more details that really piqued my interest. I had actually had this on my radar since it released, but the art style isn't my favorite so I had kind of passed it up. After hearing you on there, I watched the Lonely Gamer series and that solidified my resolve.

Well I hope you enjoy the game, Matthew. meeple

I had a great time tapping that episode with Russ and Craig. They record over two Wednesdays and it isn't recorded in the same order as it is put together in the episode, so it can be funny about what tense to use when talking about stuff that takes place in other parts of the episode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Pepperell
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure I'll enjoy it quite a bit. I literally just walked out of my FLGS, Infection in hand. Or... something. I also think it's fantastic when designers show as much interest in players' experience as you have; gives me warm fuzzies. VPG seems to have more designers than most that do that, maybe just because of the scrappy nature of the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.