Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I received an email today from BN advertising "Hundreds of new specialty games, hobby and collectible." Putting aside the grammar, they are advertising an expansion of gamer games and list Trajan, Mage Knight, and others as examples. My local store already has a good selection. It will be interesting to see if they get even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Thanks for reading me, I'm so lonely.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Barne & Noble advertises "specialty games"
I was in B&N yesterday, I expected most of what I saw but I was surprised to see so many versions of Risk but no Risk Legacy. Also, way too much Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Disco wrote:
Also, way too much Munchkin.

While you've limited this statement to Barnes and Nobles it holds true for any location for which Barnes & Nobles is a subset. That shopping center, that city, that state, that country, the Earth, the milky way, the universe. There is way too much Munchkin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin and Risk: Godstorm might not be the most exciting things for people really into the hobby to see on the shelves there, but it's because things like that got in the door and started moving units that Agricola, Mansions of Madness, and Mage Knight are appearing as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiersten Green
United States
Orem
UT
flag msg tools
I actually noticed this just the past weekend when I was there. They had copies of Mage Knight, Mansions of Madness, Game of Thrones, and a couple other new additions. They also had a separate shelf for lots of MTG packs/decks/Theros stuffs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Fry
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its significant that they are pushing that significantly in their email ad, which I received as well. I think they are growing their 'toys games and gifts' offerings along with their digital book readers to try and diverify enough to avoid the inevitable demise of brick and mortar book stores. But I think they are also finding that those kinds of games do sell better than previously thought and like someone before me mentioned, its those games like munchkin and risk that sold enough to open them to the idea of other games.

I also noticed during a birthday toy hunting trip for my son last month that Walmart, Target and ToysRUs have all done the same thing, expanding their game offerings to include things like Catan, X-Wing Miniatures, Carcassone, Lord of the Rings boardgame, etc. While still on the more casual end, it is nice to see some of that wall breaking down. It will be great for the hobby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tyree
United States
Dayton
Ohio (OH)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Target dropped X-Wing. I had seen many reports of it as on clearance, and now don't see any shelf space devoted to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Executive Bear
United States
Montana
flag msg tools
Wildcard, bitches! Yee-haw!
badge
I'm gonna start dropping F-bombs. Listen to this: Fart you, fart head.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just in B&N yesterday, they totally redid their board game area and like other I notice new games. Mage Knight and Descent were the two that I recall but I know there were a few more that I had never seen there before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Hendrickson
United States
Seward
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, a few weeks ago I saw Trajan in a B&N store and I about fell over! Kudos to them for stepping up.

If they would only start reducing their prices a little below MSRP, I might consider using those B&N email coupons that arrive during the holiday season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Holden
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Tammanoa wrote:
I actually noticed this just the past weekend when I was there. They had copies of Mage Knight, Mansions of Madness, Game of Thrones, and a couple other new additions. They also had a separate shelf for lots of MTG packs/decks/Theros stuffs.

My local barnes&noble has had those things for a long time now.

But they're usually at MSRP so it's only for desperate times... They did have a 40% off sale recently (they were moving from one end of the shopping center to the other end) which put X-Wing core at $25 for a couple of weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They did have a 40% off sale recently (they were moving from one end of the shopping center to the other end)

Man, we gotta sell this stuff, or else we've got to carry it way over there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a significant amount of new gamer games at local B&Ns like Terra Mystica, Trajan, Mage Knight, and a number of others. Uninteresting at MSRP, but the next few clearances should be exciting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrumPhil wrote:
If they would only start reducing their prices a little below MSRP, I might consider using those B&N email coupons that arrive during the holiday season.

Yes, this is a significant point too. On one hand, we want these games to sell so that they will continue to carry quality games. On the other hand though, you don't want to support awful prices. I'm not sure what to root for. I do want new people to discover cool games but I don't want them to be ripped off.

If it takes a lower price PLUS coupons to make the price something you'd consider paying (though still higher than what you usually pay) then a company should take a closer look at their business. After all, isn't this exactly why brick and mortar bookstores are struggling already? Poorer selection, higher price, and no value-added services or expertise over buying online? Repeating the same business model onto a new type of product will eventually lead to the same issue there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Finkelstein
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess what we want is for other, less informed people to buy them at MSRP while still leaving some behind to clearance for us .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Holden
United States
Princeton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Funky Disco wrote:
Quote:
They did have a 40% off sale recently (they were moving from one end of the shopping center to the other end)

It was wierd, but that's what they did. Of course new store has a bunch of X-Wing core boxes selling for MSRP in it now too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave, or "Phineas" or "Tolstoy" or,
United States
Mount Holly
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sholden wrote:
Funky Disco wrote:
Quote:

It was weird, but that's what they did. Of course new store has a bunch of X-Wing core boxes selling for MSRP in it now too...

The Toys R Us in Gastonia NC closed, and reopened just a mile or two away. The clearance sale started at 20% off I believe, and dropped 10 or 20 percent every week or two. I talked to the manager about it, as it eventually went to 90% off (nothing but crap left at that point.)

He said that the number-crunchers have figured out how long to leave a discount in place before increasing it, and that it is actually cheaper to sell the whole store out at huge discounts, than to move the stuff to the new store a few miles away. It's like a science or something.

It didn't make any sense to me either, at the time, and still doesn't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamers hating on Munchkin is exaclty the kind of irony that I'm begining to appreciate about a place called board game geeks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Meadow
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Gamers hating on Munchkin is exaclty the kind of irony that I'm begining to appreciate about a place called board game geeks.

I wasn't hating on Munchkin (although I could....) as much as saying there is no reason why B&N needs to stock about a dozen variations... now that I think about it I suppose it makes sense. If you're buying somebody a gift you could personalize it a little more with a Munchkin that matches their likes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Funky Disco wrote:
Quote:

I wasn't hating on Munchkin

I was!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Even if Munchkin wasn't awful, it's still sub-optimal to use shelf and inventory space on a dozen variants of the same game - especially if your goal is to get our customers to realize that games are a wider universe than they're aware of. A dozen different themed versions of Catan or Ticket to Ride (if they existed) would be bad too.

Ideally I think they should be showcasing a variety of "specialty" games and have enough inexpensive (but still good) ones on the shelf to make it easy for people to try out one without breaking the bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll have to stop in to my local B&N to see if it now has any games. I doubt it - it's the smallest B&N I've ever seen (not even a coffee bar); I have no clue how it stays in business.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Martin
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dboeren wrote:
Even if Munchkin wasn't awful, it's still sub-optimal to use shelf and inventory space on a dozen variants of the same game - especially if your goal is to get our customers to realize that games are a wider universe than they're aware of. A dozen different themed versions of Catan or Ticket to Ride (if they existed) would be bad too.

Ideally I think they should be showcasing a variety of "specialty" games and have enough inexpensive (but still good) ones on the shelf to make it easy for people to try out one without breaking the bank.

I agree after all its not going to be the casual customer that happens to pick up a game that seems neat, that's going to support this new expanded product line. and the majority of game hobbyists have very little interest in munchkin and risk and the like. 50 different versions of monopoly are not going to be flying off the shelves, and as a boardgame enthusiast, which I assume is the new target market for this expanded game selection, if your game selection only has a dozen different games then once ive purchased or ruled them out for whatever reason then why come back?

The price point should also definitely be looked at but I think its better to have a large selection with fewer on the shelf copies than several shelved copies of fewer titles. Especially if the title are going to be ones that hold little interest for most gamers. The goal I think should be to get people who are willing to buy games regularly to frequently visit your store to look at your selection and impulse buy those $30-50 range products. Most gamers that want to purchase anything much higher than that will just research it online and find a much better price with a $20-30 saving. but if others in this hobby are anything like me then paying 40 for something I would get online at 30 it worth it to have the copy in hand immediately.

also Munchkin is not a terrible game in my opinion but its not a great one either. And it only sees table time if there is a large group of people and we dont want to learn anything new

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt this is a move to cater exclusively to board game enthusiasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While I kinda understand the complaints of all the Munchkin versions at B&N, it is a very popular game. I know my 7 year old clamors to play it whenever he has an opportunity, even after getting exposed to better games.

As for MSRP, do you guys complain when FLGSs also charge MSRP for games? I know that's what they sell games for around here. To be honest, it is the problem with having a brick & mortar store vs online.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLongshot wrote:
As for MSRP, do you guys complain when FLGSs also charge MSRP for games? I know that's what they sell games for around here. To be honest, it is the problem with having a brick & mortar store vs online.

Your FLGS probably supplies you with a place to play, a schedule by which you can find opponents for different games, and is better equipped to answer questions about different games. They may host tournaments, advise you of new or upcoming products or dates you might want to know about, or know to reserve copies of certain things for you if you're a regular. They can hand your card out to people interested in "your" games, tell people about what nights to come, and otherwise assist in connecting gamers.

When B&N does these sort of things, they will have earned the right to charge extra in return for their services.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.