GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,212 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Cube Quest» Forums » Variants

Subject: Solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought this game for my 10 year old nephew and he absolutely loved it, but after we played for about 2 hours straight I was in need of a rest but he wanted to continue... what to do?!

After a bit of thought I came up with a series of solo tasks (with a bit of colour to make them into "adventures").

Basically, the adventures consisted of obstacle courses of varying difficulty - dodging enemy troops (who would arrest/kill you or raise the alarm) to get close enough to wipe out the king.

After a few increasingly complicated set ups I moved onto rescue scenarios, which consisted of getting through an obstacle course then pushing the ally king to safety, again without touching the guards.

I'm not sure it would have so much staying power with older players, but it worked perfectly for him. Also, it worked wonders for making him think about his flick control - not just pwning the dice every time.

If anyone is particularly interested in map set-ups I can try to post a few pics.

Happy flicking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Caple
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Notts.
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd definitely be interested!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sibthorpe
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great idea. I'd love to see some pics too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oly Sibthorpe
United Kingdom
Southend-On-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Joe, Thanks for sharing your idea. I would really love to hear more about your solo tasks and see some pics please.
Back when Cube Quest was called KingBrick I listed some alternative / mini-games on the (professionally designed, state-of-the-art) KingBrick Website.
You or your nephew may be interested.

A couple were basically the normal game but with a twist.
* ANNIHILATION: Object is to defeat ALL enemy cubes not just the king. Turns normal strategy on it's head! King becomes best attacker!
* '100': Winner of each 'battle' is awarded points for the cubes they still have in play. First player to reach total of 100 is victorious.

Cubes only games (No board required) -
* ROLL'EM: Players roll a set of cubes, simultaneously. Whoever rolls the most cubes 'happy' side up defeats a 'sad' side up cube of their opponent's.
* STACK'EM: The tricky task of stacking up lots of cubes!
* TOWER CHALLENGE: Simple game involving cube stacking. Player's don't want the tower to fall on their turn.
* DUEL: Needs a bit of floor or outside space. Player's try to knock each others king off of a cube structure, at distance.

Flicking practice game -
* SIEGE: One player has four flicks to knock cubes out of their opponent's castle. Final positions of all cubes give a score.

For details please check out http://kingbrickgame.com/page6.html. Yes, it's still there! (Please note that cubes were called 'bricks' in KingBrick. They had happy/sad faces instead of the character/shadow sides of Cube Quest. KingBrick Guards and Champions became Cube Quest's Grunts and Strikers respectively. Also the points/cube-costs were tweaked. A 5 point Champion brick is now a Striker with cube-cost of 4.)

Mainly aimed at children, I found these little games offered variety and versatility. A game that only required a few cubes can be played almost anywhere. Roll'Em on a train journey, Stack'Em on your desk, Duel in the playground! To be honest I hadn't really given solo-play much thought until now. I suppose both Stack'Em and Siege could be played alone as they are more like practice exercises. I am very keen to hear more ideas please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping to get a bunch of photos of the set-ups we were using over Christmas.... was hoping to do so earlier but real life gets in the way some times zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kirkman
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
okicoki wrote:
Hey Joe, Thanks for sharing your idea. I would really love to hear more about your solo tasks and see some pics please.
Back when Cube Quest was called KingBrick I listed some alternative / mini-games on the (professionally designed, state-of-the-art) KingBrick Website.
You or your nephew may be interested.

A couple were basically the normal game but with a twist.
* ANNIHILATION: Object is to defeat ALL enemy cubes not just the king. Turns normal strategy on it's head! King becomes best attacker!
* '100': Winner of each 'battle' is awarded points for the cubes they still have in play. First player to reach total of 100 is victorious.

Cubes only games (No board required) -
* ROLL'EM: Players roll a set of cubes, simultaneously. Whoever rolls the most cubes 'happy' side up defeats a 'sad' side up cube of their opponent's.
* STACK'EM: The tricky task of stacking up lots of cubes!
* TOWER CHALLENGE: Simple game involving cube stacking. Player's don't want the tower to fall on their turn.
* DUEL: Needs a bit of floor or outside space. Player's try to knock each others king off of a cube structure, at distance.

Flicking practice game -
* SIEGE: One player has four flicks to knock cubes out of their opponent's castle. Final positions of all cubes give a score.

For details please check out http://kingbrickgame.com/page6.html. Yes, it's still there! (Please note that cubes were called 'bricks' in KingBrick. They had happy/sad faces instead of the character/shadow sides of Cube Quest. KingBrick Guards and Champions became Cube Quest's Grunts and Strikers respectively. Also the points/cube-costs were tweaked. A 5 point Champion brick is now a Striker with cube-cost of 4.)

Mainly aimed at children, I found these little games offered variety and versatility. A game that only required a few cubes can be played almost anywhere. Roll'Em on a train journey, Stack'Em on your desk, Duel in the playground! To be honest I hadn't really given solo-play much thought until now. I suppose both Stack'Em and Siege could be played alone as they are more like practice exercises. I am very keen to hear more ideas please.

Thanks for this - my nephew particularly liked the siege variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.