BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Designing a new game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Naughton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Hello! My name is Anthony Naughton and I am a first time game creator. I enjoy designing games because I enjoy the fun and exciting events that can unfold though playing games. I have a game built in my head and even made a REALLY rough draft that I played with friends and they said that I HAD to get this made into a real game. So i come on to this board today to ask if someone would draw up art for me for my game. Here is a list of things i would need.

- Box
- Rule
- Board
- Cards

Now here comes the part as artist you may not like, I am a college student with not so much $$$. Maybe just enough to make 10-15 Copies of the game to sell and then work from there. So if there are any artist willing to get paid when the game gets released and can make money accordingly.

The game
The game is a 2-4 Player Castle defense game when you will summon minions (Cards like MTG or YGH) to Attack others castles at a chance for glory!

The idea is that I could make Booster packs and Etc; Which the artist would also get paid for.

I know i am asking a lot put please consider Emailing me at :
Itachi24078@aol.com

Thank you for your time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there is a LONG way before you Anthony.

First and foremost, do much much MUCH blind playtesting with your game and incorporate suggestions.

Then make some more blind playtest and repeat about 5 times.

Only then you can continue further...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastián Koziner
Argentina
Capital Federal
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
OK Art Studio - www.okartstudio.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Joeyeti wrote:

First and foremost, do much much MUCH blind playtesting with your game and incorporate suggestions.

I do agree with him, do a lot of playtesting first, but when that is done, let me know and I can make the Graphic Design side for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Wocken
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Freelance Game Graphic Designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Your48 wrote:
Maybe just enough to make 10-15 Copies of the game to sell and then work from there.

There are pretty much zero ways to be profitable printing 10-15 copies, unless all those copies are going to reviewers that you hope will trumpet how awesome your game is, and that people should be visiting KickStarter and backing the game immediately.

I also completely agree with the blind play testing statements.

Good luck,
–Peter Wocken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Naughton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Thank you so much for the input! I will try a variety of different ways to make sure the game is well balanced before hand.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Naughton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
SebasKO wrote:
Joeyeti wrote:

I do agree with him, do a lot of playtesting first, but when that is done, let me know and I can make the Graphic Design side for you

Thank you Sebastian! I will let you know! I really would like to make this game a reality!

pandawear wrote:
Your48 wrote:
Maybe just enough to make 10-15 Copies of the game to sell and then work from there.

There are pretty much zero ways to be profitable printing 10-15 copies, unless all those copies are going to reviewers that you hope will trumpet how awesome your game is, and that people should be visiting KickStarter and backing the game immediately.

I also completely agree with the blind play testing statements.

Good luck,
–Peter Wocken

Well i wouldn't mind if i even made 1 copy and brought it to Kickstarter with a goal before a big production.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
josh willhite
United States
La Junta
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into thegamecrafter.com, you can print out single copies of games that you've made. They also provide you with all the various templates you need for the components they can make you. There are also links to outside art sources. If you don't already have a program like Photoshop, download GIMP for free and make your own art (if you're so inclined). I have a couple games right now I'm putting the finishing touches on to get them printed and see how well everything turns out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Naughton
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
jawmonkey wrote:
Look into thegamecrafter.com, you can print out single copies of games that you've made. They also provide you with all the various templates you need for the components they can make you. There are also links to outside art sources. If you don't already have a program like Photoshop, download GIMP for free and make your own art (if you're so inclined). I have a couple games right now I'm putting the finishing touches on to get them printed and see how well everything turns out.

Hello Jawmonkey and thanks for the response. I am using gamecrafters and I am not good at all at making art, that is why I would like to commission an artist to help. But I do thank you for your input.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.