Popular Tags: [View All]
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I give you the World Wide Web (W3) from 1992! Enjoy!

http://bit.ly/GA3eUN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

After my own heart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
Looks more like Archie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, but how do I get to my MUD server?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
Looks more like Archie.
The robot or the anti-aircraft artillery?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back when I was at UTK (1994-96), dial-up Internet through the school was via Lynx. So this looks kinda familiar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
rrrrrrrr, kssssssss, beeple-eeple-meeple, sproing, sproing....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Society of Watchers
United States
Killbuck
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember in the late 80s, I was at OSU in the Linguistics Department. It was the first time I heard about email and being able to contact people electronically throughout the world through something called the Internet. It wasn't the World Wide Web, of course. It was still just the government, military, and educational institutions connection to each other.

It wasn't until a couple of years later that I actually got my own university email address.

It wasn't until '93 that the world wide web really began to take off and was when I got my first personal email address: mileser@aol.com. However, AOL had limited world wide web capabilities initially, but you could connect to usenet.

I also remember the great competition between AOL and CompuServe. All meaningless now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmb
So what was everyone's first internet email address?

Mine was: mchapel@polaris.unm.edu, got in around 1992.

And my first game related post(on usenet):

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!search/mchapel@/rec.games....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
inmate92653@bureauofprisons.gov

wow, my inmate ID is the same as my Geek ID
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I'm pretty sure that it was ws1i@andrew.cmu.edu. Followed by wms@cs.cmu.edu, then wms@ssd.intel.com, then wms@hevanet.com, then finally the address I use today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A Hike!
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I was out of Purdue's Computer Science department by '87 and started working as a full-time programmer by fall of '87. I left my first job relatively quickly and was working in Ohio by the 90's so I suspect my first real email address was through my employer.

My first personal email didn't happen until '98 and I got that through my broadband cable provider (Road Runner) but by 2004 I'd set up my own domain and I'm still camping out there (but I really have everything funneling to my gmail account now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
Back when I was at UTK (1994-96), dial-up Internet through the school was via Lynx. So this looks kinda familiar.

Wait, you were at UTK at the same time that I and Jeff and Amy Wiles were?

How come we didn't find each other back then?!?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
mine was cpb@utk.edu seriously, it was awesome and sweet and short.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

Did you guys not play magic with the group on campus during that time frame, because there's a chance we did know each other to some degree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Verkisto wrote:

I was in grad school, so the only building I ever really visited (other than Hodges Library) was the one where the School of Information Sciences was. I forget its name, but it's since been torn down. And I knew the Wileses had been there, but I didn't realize you had attended, too.

Quote:
Did you guys not play magic with the group on campus during that time frame, because there's a chance we did know each other to some degree!

I briefly got into Magic through Ziggy, and I mostly played at his store (first the one farther out, near the mall, and then later at the store that was closer to campus -- American Comics?). But I never played at the school.

The weirdest thing was the day I was on Facebook, saw something from "Ward McMillan" on Jeff or Amy's page, and sat there thinking Why do I know that name? for about ten minutes before I finally placed him. We managed to reconnect after over ten years!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Beats me with my poor memory if I can remember store names. But the magic store we always went to was near campus on Kingston basically all tables and a magic and jyhad section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thinking about it, It might have been Ziggy's store we were playing at. It was a long way out, maybe toward West Town mall. I remember it was fairly near a Kroger, and you walked in to a room with bunches of tables, and a glass counter on the right, with the CCG's on it, and that might have been it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Holzman
United States
Seffner
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
As grey traces of dawn tinge the eastern sky, the three travellers, men of Willowdale, emerge from the forest's shadow. Fording the river, they turn south, journeying into the dark and forbidding lands of The Necromancer...
mbmbmbmbmb
That was about the time that I signed up for a GEnie account (wholly because the Star Fleet Battles bulletin board was hosted on GEnie at that time). I was using either Prodigy or AOL as my dial-up provider (I may have abandoned Prodigy before 1992). Logging on at 9600 baud was...wait for it...slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearcat89 wrote:
Logging on at 9600 baud was...wait for it...slow.
Poll: What is the slowest computer link you ever used for non-work reasons?
What is the slowest link you ever used to connect to the internet, a BBS, or whatever, for personal (non-work related) reasons? If your exact rate isn't here, pick the closest.
110 baud (Clackety clack clack goes the teletype)
300 baud (It goes almost as fast as I can read)
1200 baud (A whole screenful of text in just a few seconds!)
2400 baud (US Robotics kicks ass)
9600 baud (Bearcat says it's slow...)
14400 baud (Damn fast for dialup)
56000 baud (the fastest dialup that was ever commonly available)
Dialup? BAH! DSL, cablemodems, and fiber are all I've ever known!
      56 answers
Poll created by wmshub
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SybotCB wrote:
Thinking about it, It might have been Ziggy's store we were playing at. It was a long way out, maybe toward West Town mall. I remember it was fairly near a Kroger, and you walked in to a room with bunches of tables, and a glass counter on the right, with the CCG's on it, and that might have been it.

That sounds right. It was on the right side of the road, when coming from UT campus. I think he had two separate areas, one for the comics, and one for the CCGs. I spent most of my time on the comics side of the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

I was pre the @ sign and before the great renaming. Mine first email address was at college in '85.

We still had to use bang paths. So my email address (at least to the world) was ...!ukc!uk!ac!hatfield!cs1ch - inside Janet it was cs1ch@uk.ac.hatfield. Janet used big-endian email addresses which caused all kinds of problems if people used 2 character departments as you might have uk.ac.hatfield.cs (which used to be the country code for Czechoslovakia).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tricia Rowland
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does anyone remember that far back? I have no idea what my first email address was, and I'm racking my brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Davidson
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
www.istroyworking.com
badge
www.istroyworking.com
mbmbmb
I don't see a pi symbol in the lower corner. This is obviously fake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
United States
Oxford
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Hotty Toddy Rebels!
badge
Lets go Blues!
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
SybotCB wrote:

That sounds right. It was on the right side of the road, when coming from UT campus. I think he had two separate areas, one for the comics, and one for the CCGs. I spent most of my time on the comics side of the store.

Yep, definitely on the right. In the middle of a little strip mall that was perpendicular to Kingston not parallel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.