GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!
10,406 Supporters
$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
14 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
13 Posts

Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: When a hero hits 0 HP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafael Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hello people. I didn't buy Castle Ravenloft yet, but I'm gonna buy it next week and I have some questions.

1) If a Hero hits 0 HP, can he still be healed for preventing the use of a Healing surge? For example, the fighter hit 0 HP, but the first to play in the hero phase is the Cleric. Can he heal the fighter before the beginning of the fighter's turn?

2) Is it necessary to have the Cleric in every adventure? To my mind, or he's crucial (and kinda OP), or he's useless. Is that a wrong idea?

3) Each player has to draw an encounter card if he/she didn't explore the dungeon? So If I'm playing with 4 players and none of them has reach the edge of the tile, do I have to draw 4 encounter cards?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes
2) No (they're okay, but definitely not required)
3) You're thinking of a turn improperly. One hero does his whole turn before the next, i.e. the Fighter does a Hero Phase, then an Exploration Phase, then an Encounter Phase. After that, the next hero does his/her turn. You do *not* have all heroes do a Hero Phase, then all heroes do an Encounter Phase, then all heroes do an Exploration Phase. Playing properly, you will never draw more than one Encounter card per Exploration Phase (and you only draw this Encounter card if either A) you did not explore or B) you did explore and it was a black triangle tile).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, it sounds like you think everyone takes a turn at the same time. It doesn't work like that. Let's say you have three players, Fighter, Cleric, and Wizard. The Fighter moves and attacks first. Then if he is on the edge of a tile, he will explore and draw a monster. If he gets a black arrow on the new tile, or he is not on the edge and can't explore, then he will get an encounter card. If he gets a white arrow on the new tile, he will not get an encounter card. Then all his monsters will activate (the monster cards that he drew for exploring throughout the mission).

Then the Cleric will go, by doing its move and attack. Then explore, maybe draw an encounter, and then the Cleric's monsters will take a turn. Then the Wizard will do it all again, followed by the Fighter, and so on until you either pass the mission or lose. So with that in mind:

1) Yes, the Fighter can be healed before he needs to use a healing surge. If the Fighter drops to 0 on his own turn, than both the Cleric and the Wizard (possibly with a healing potion) can heal the Fighter. A hero at 0 hit points uses a healing surge only at the very start of their own turn. Now if the Fighter drops to 0 on the Wizard's turn, then there will be no chance to heal him, since the Fighter will take his turn immediately after.

2) The Cleric is not necessary. He is helpful, but any combination has a good chance of success. I believe the Fighter in this game also has a self-healing ability, you can find healing potions, and some of the treasure events will heal as well.

3) As mentioned, each hero will draw an encounter card on their own turn if they did not explore that turn. So you will not have to deal with a bunch of encounter cards in a row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
A hero at 0 hit points uses a healing surge only at the very start of their own turn.

As a side note, if you have already used both your Healing Surges (and you will), when the next hero goes down, the game is not yet over. The game doesn't end until the start of the downed hero's turn. So if you can heal that hero or if you happen to win the game before the hero's next turn, then you're good.

I've had a few games come down to where a hero dropped and there was no way to heal him so we focused on winning before his turn. Leads to some great, epic, last minute struggles.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Folks, thanks for your answers. Indeed, I was thinking pretty wrong about the turns! I thought everyone would play at the same time in the hero phase, then everyone would follow the encounter phase and then we'd have the Villain Phase.

Now everything makes sense.

Thanks again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lewis
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
DoomTurtle wrote:
A hero at 0 hit points uses a healing surge only at the very start of their own turn.

As a side note, if you have already used both your Healing Surges (and you will), when the next hero goes down, the game is not yet over. The game doesn't end until the start of the downed hero's turn. So if you can heal that hero or if you happen to win the game before the hero's next turn, then you're good.

I've had a few games come down to where a hero dropped and there was no way to heal him so we focused on winning before his turn. Leads to some great, epic, last minute struggles.

-shnar

Technically, the condition for game end is when a hero must spend a healing surge, and there are none left to spend. Most of the time it's the same thing as the start of the downed hero's turn, but sometimes that technicality can be the difference between winning and losing the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken

Pdx
Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding the cleric being a must. I will say that they really balanced all of the characters well. They all have some special ability but each in a unique area that makes them all equally useful I think.

That being said, if I made a chart of which characters were used and in how many adventures, I think the cleric has probably made it into a higher percentage of adventures than any of the other characters for my playgroup. When you don't have him in your group and you lose a close one, inevitably people start saying "If we just had one more healing surge we could have done it!" And when you take him and he uses his ability that is the equivalent of a healing surge and then you get the treasure that lets him flip one of his abilities over....that effectively gives you two extra healing surges. That is huge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Another quick question:

When you explore a new tile, a monster appears. Ok, cool. Does it attack in the next Villain Phase?

If so, it sounds like you'll always be hit when discovering a new tile. Is that so?

The same applies to trap cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it will attack that turn, since the card is added to the current player's monster cards before the villain phase occurs. Same with traps.

Whether you're always hit or not depends on the the monster's attack, the heroes AC, any items or abilities used, and the die roll itself. So you will always get attacked, but you won't necessarily always get hit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevin Beattie
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leafar Cathal wrote:
Another quick question:

When you explore a new tile, a monster appears. Ok, cool. Does it attack in the next Villain Phase?

If so, it sounds like you'll always be hit when discovering a new tile. Is that so?

Correct, in general. (There are certain situations where these can be avoided, depending on which Hero you are playing and what Monster/Trap shows up.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Costa
Brazil
flag msg tools
Trevin wrote:
Leafar Cathal wrote:
Another quick question:

Correct, in general. (There are certain situations where these can be avoided, depending on which Hero you are playing and what Monster/Trap shows up.)

Thanks for your answers.

With that in mind about traps, how do I suppose to disarm them? If I draw a trap, does it instantly applies to me? When will I have the chance to disarm it, considering that my hero turn is already gone?

Thanks again in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The trap card is used like a monster card, so it only activates on that player's villain phase. The hero that gets the trap cannot try to disarm it right away, but anyone can on a future turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it doesn't necessarily attack, rather, it will activate and depending on the tactics indicates if it attacks or not. It's a subtle but important difference. A difference that helps with the understanding of the overall mechanics.

During the Exploration phase, a tile would be revealed, and a monster placed on the board with its card placed in your queue of monster/trap cards. During the Villain phase, all monster/trap cards in your queue are activated (after the Encounter and Villain(s) are activated). It doesn't matter how that monster card ended up in front on you, as long as it's your monster card, that monster group gets activated.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.