Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suppose city of A is empty and some CU of B (ally of A) are present when an enemy C comes to attack.
I thought 3 CU of B can enter city A, but in:

9.3.1 Walled Cities:
[...]
• Leaders and CU may only hide inside cities which they control.

So it seems one can not retreat in an ally's city (assuming is free
of ally's troops) because a power controls only spaces of its color.

But this contradicts:

15.5 Breaking Alliances
A player can break an alliance while the active player by removing
three of his support for each alliance he breaks. Any CU inside a
former ally’s city are now placed outside the city. A 0 siege marker
is also placed if there were 3 CU inside the city.

Where is the truth?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think 9.3.1 should read, "Leaders and CU may only hide inside friendly cities."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beorne
Italy
Forli'
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ward wrote:
I think 9.3.1 should read, "Leaders and CU may only hide inside friendly cities."

I think so

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Harbert-Ierfino
msg tools
Hi Beorne here's what I found.
12.4.4 Reads "Defending CU and leaders may retreat into a friendly-controlled walled city in the battle space, up to the city's 3 CU capacity."
And
15.2 reads "Allied powers and their leaders, CU, tribes, walled cities, and controlled spaces are friendly to one another..."

It seems that you can enter a friendly city, but only if you fight the battle first. The thing is rule 12.4.4 sets a precedent that you can enter a friendly city, but on the retreat. What is stopping your army from entering a city before combat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Divinewind wrote:
Hi Beorne here's what I found.
12.4.4 Reads "Defending CU and leaders may retreat into a friendly-controlled walled city in the battle space, up to the city's 3 CU capacity."
And
15.2 reads "Allied powers and their leaders, CU, tribes, walled cities, and controlled spaces are friendly to one another..."

It seems that you can enter a friendly city, but only if you fight the battle first. The thing is rule 12.4.4 sets a precedent that you can enter a friendly city, but on the retreat. What is stopping your army from entering a city before combat?
I don't think anything does. 15.2 makes it pretty wide open. It appears an ally has the choice to declare leaders, along with up to the city cap, as being "inside" when confronted with an enemy; and, if they choose to stand and fight, to retreat into the walled city as one of their options should they lose.

It might have been helpful if the general statement had preceded the more specific one (and might have rendered the specific statement as redundant and unnecessary) but that is just the way subjects were ordered in the rules layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Harbert-Ierfino
msg tools
Yeah I found the layout of the rule book a bit confusing on first read through. I found that it was well laid out for reference. However should you read it front to back it gets a bit odd, especially if you don't know the rules to begin with. I will restate though its great for referencing.

Personally I'm going to just house rule the whole issue. At the beginning of each game I will inform everyone of this odd bit in the rule book and make the players decide which way we'll play for that game.

Also an interesting note. If player A allied with player B and player A has CU in one of player B's cities, because player C has attacked and besieged that city. Then while the city is still under siege player A and player B break their alliance. What happens then? I think that's why they put that clause that you can't enter a non controlled city. It can make really odd situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Divinewind wrote:

Also an interesting note. If player A allied with player B and player A has CU in one of player B's cities, because player C has attacked and besieged that city. Then while the city is still under siege player A and player B break their alliance. What happens then? I think that's why they put that clause that you can't enter a non controlled city. It can make really odd situations.

Player A's CU are forced out of the city and must battle Player C.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.