Subject: Tracking Points earned/used during gameplay rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here's the breakdown: Power points are earned during game play each time you defeat an enemy with a max of 15.. Your PP represent your level and determine how much you can do on your turn. For example, if you have 14 power points total, on your turn you can use spells or attacks that equal up to that number. Spells and attacks use different amounts of PP.

Here's the question:

As of now, I'm tracking the power points with a grid numbered 1-15 and a token to represent current PP and another to keep track of how much you spend on your turn...

Another option would be to have double sided tokens and you would flip them over as you use them... Then reflip at the end of your turn. The main reason I like this idea is because it makes it easier to keep track in case the table gets bumped and tokens slide around etc.. Pulling from a common "bank" of tokens also makes cheating less likely. (I know, if someone wants to cheat, they will) however I like the idea of making it more difficult. Plus! I love tokens and the more pieces the better!

I'm looking for general opinions like my usual posts and any other suggestions. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The grid is probably fine for playtesting - but I think that, practically speaking, you'd need tokens. Maybe the current maximum levels could be tracked on the central board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
gamesbook wrote:
The grid is probably fine for playtesting - but I think that, practically speaking, you'd need tokens. Maybe the current maximum levels could be tracked on the central board?

Already tried that.. The game plays up to 6 people and I couldn't make it fit on the board. Also, The power points are on the variable you can change to modify difficulty/play duration so it being on the board would limit it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hero gamer
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
I may have just solved my problem... what about a combination of the both?

Eliminate the flipping and and just add token "zones" representing ( Total and In-use).. Sliding is easier than flipping i suppose
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the token flipping. It works pretty well in Munchkin Quest for both action points and health.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bocephus Blasterfire
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is more or less an accounting issue and different people will prefer different things. I would focus my energies on the other aspects of the game. All 3 systems work and have their strengths and weaknesses. I could see though that the 2nd and last system might be easier for kids to keep track of.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sliding seems a good compromise. Flipping would depend on average turn length and target minimum age for the game. If I am spending more time flipping chits than playing I'm not happy. Let alone what happens if I have to wait two minutes for my son to finish flipping his each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.