Popular Tags: [View All]
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately, I've kinda been searching for the best hidden movement game.

So far, I've played Scotland Yard, Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan, Nuns on the Run and Letters from Whitechapel (...no Mr. Jack unfortunately). Letters from Whitechapel is my favorite of these.

For those of you who've played Fury of Dracula and Letters from Whitechapel, would you please tell me how they are different and why you think FoD is better?

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
jmmowery wrote:

So far, I've played Scotland Yard, Ninja: Legend of the Scorpion Clan, Nuns on the Run and Letters from Whitechapel (...no Mr. Jack unfortunately). Letters from Whitechapel is my favorite of these.

For those of you who've played Fury of Dracula and Letters from Whitechapel, would you please tell me how they are different and why you think FoD is better?

Cheers!

Honestly I wouldn't say it is better or worse. It is deeper.

My hidden move level of complexity goes like this:
Clue: The Great Museum Caper - very light, simple, great for teaching new gamers the hidden move type of game
Letters from Whitechapel - A bit heavier.
Fury of Dracula (second edition) - Deeper, more options on both sides, being found isn't an immediate loss.

FOD is a deeper, richer game. More bits to worry about but that is a good thing. You have to be more adaptable on both sides due to the card/event draw. Sometimes you can be very aggressive early and others you are forced to play it more careful.

I guess what I am trying to say is they are both awesome games. Bost hidden move but offer different styles of game play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick has it right. I strongly prefer Fury of Dracula, both mechanically and thematically. Letters just wasn't my thing, but it is a solidly designed game.

It just so happens, though, that I discussed this in detail not long after playing Letters a few times (which was actually a few years ago now):

Reviews: Letters from Whitechapel vs. Fury of Dracula
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Yes, yes and YES!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
They are both great and worth owning. LfWc is stripped down and more streamlined as well as easier for jack where FoD is way more thematic and also has combat but is harder for Dracula.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
They are actually inverted. If FoD, Dracula lays traps for the hunters. In LoW, the inspectors lay traps for Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
jmmowery wrote:

Cheers!

Honestly I wouldn't say it is better or worse. It is deeper.

My hidden move level of complexity goes like this:
Clue: The Great Museum Caper - very light, simple, great for teaching new gamers the hidden move type of game
Letters from Whitechapel - A bit heavier.
Fury of Dracula (second edition) - Deeper, more options on both sides, being found isn't an immediate loss.

FOD is a deeper, richer game. More bits to worry about but that is a good thing. You have to be more adaptable on both sides due to the card/event draw. Sometimes you can be very aggressive early and others you are forced to play it more careful.

I guess what I am trying to say is they are both awesome games. Bost hidden move but offer different styles of game play.

FOD however has a far greater dependency on luck for both parties. Drawing the right Event at the right time can often be game changing. I found LOWC to be more strategic in this regard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DreamStorm wrote:
FOD however has a far greater dependency on luck for both parties. Drawing the right Event at the right time can often be game changing. I found LOWC to be more strategic in this regard.

While it is true that Fury has more luck than Letters - it almost has to because I'm pretty sure Letters is pure logic with no random elements at all.

I do think, though, that the effect of luck on Fury is often overstated - it is there, of course, but I don't think it's as much of a driving force as it's made out to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Mowery
United States
Hermitage
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Joe's comparison of Fury of Dracula and Letters from Whitechapel (link posted above) is great. Thanks Joe!

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Drontle
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Not better, just different.

Letters from Whitechapel is a brain-burning logic puzzle for the detectives. For Jack it is bluffing game. Virtually no luck involved.

In Fury of Dracula there is a similar feel, but it is still different because of events that frequently reveal Dracula's trail. Dracula is reacting to the hunters far more, in my experience, than Jack is to the investigators. Another difference is that sometimes Dracula actually wants to be found because he can then fight the hunters. Also there is a healthy amount of luck involved.

These added elements make FOD less of a pure hidden movement game than Whitechapel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
crazypumaman wrote:
Not better, just different.

Letters from Whitechapel is a brain-burning logic puzzle for the detectives. For Jack it is bluffing game. Virtually no luck involved.

In Fury of Dracula there is a similar feel, but it is still different because of events that frequently reveal Dracula's trail. Dracula is reacting to the hunters far more, in my experience, than Jack is to the investigators. Another difference is that sometimes Dracula actually wants to be found because he can then fight the hunters. Also there is a healthy amount of luck involved.

These added elements make FOD less of a pure hidden movement game than Whitechapel.

It's only a healthy amount of luck if you suck at reacting to your options in a given situation. If you are a flexible player there is only some luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
It's only a healthy amount of luck if you suck at reacting to your options in a given situation. If you are a flexible player there is only some luck.

Agreed - this is what I was getting at earlier. There are elements of luck in this game (there are decks of cards to draw from and dice to roll, after all), but the game also gives you plenty of ways to mitigate the effects of those random elements.

crazypumaman wrote:

Agree with this - that's why I like it more. Whitechapel is all about the deduction and as a result it's a little dry, IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say it is better, and that even with the perception that the Hunters are favored in the game. Against a group og Hunters that stays relatively coordinated Dracula needs to win quick or not at all in my opinion - still being Dracula is a whole lot of fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite the greater amount of luck, I think this is a better game. And both are far superior to Scotland Yard, where the clue trail is unconnected to the board position or any other decisions made by the investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.