Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the past 8 years, I have had a hand in running a charity event in Bloomington, IL. The event was designed to get a bunch of gamers together to play, have a good time, and raise money for charity. Up to this point, the gaming was focused on WizKids' Heroclix miniatures game.

This year I'm proud to add Star Trek Attack Wing to the event.

CFTC Midwest
Gryfalia’s Aerie
309 N Main St
Bloomington, IL 61701
309-828-9196

Date: October 19, 2013
Time: 12PM

I have been able to secure some of the Exclusive Khan Singh cards and will be making these available as prizes for Star Trek Attack Wing "mini-events" at CFTC this year.

Here is the tentative format (subject to change, attempting to secure additional OP kits to run a full scale event but right now I'm going with what I've got):

Each mini-tournament will have a $20 buy in and will fire off once we have 4 players. Each participant will receive a Star Trek Attack Wing expansion of thier choice (limited to in-stock items). They will then use that expansion to build a 40 point fleet. These will be single elimination tournaments.

Once the first game is done, winners will play the final match using the same build. Winner gets Khan.

SPECIAL EVENT RULES

In an effort to make all expansions viable in the mini-tournaments for Star Trek Attack wing, the following house rules will be in effect for the duration of the events:

1. A resource may be added to the following ships: R.I.S. Apnex, I.R.W. Praetus, 5th Wing Patrol Ship, I.K.S. Gr'oth. The Fleet Build of each ship may still not exceed 40 points.

2. R.I.S. Apnex: There will be an additional Tech slot added to the upgrade bar.

3. Muon Wave: This upgrade is disabled rather than discarded the first time it is used.

4. Cloaked Mines: This upgrade is disabled rather than discarded the first time it is used.

Additional rules:

Players can buy into any subsequent events for $10 without having to purchase another expansion. As soon as we have 4 players ready to play, we will fire off another event.

Players will be able to spend $1 to force one reroll per round. This can be thier roll or thier opponent's roll but it is ONE roll per player per round.

On street parking is extremely limited due to a Saturday farmer's market in downtown Bloomington. As such, it is suggested that players park in the Public Parking Garage located off of Center Street between Market and Monroe. The store is just one block east and one block south of that area.

All proceeds will go to support the National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Kay
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome initiative you have here.

This sounds like a similar set up to what was done at Gencon. Might I suggest looking at removing the Romulan Science Vessel as one of the ships eligible to compete with? I love the ship, but it's not very balanced for the person running it. In a one-on-one engagement with others it's not very powerful. It's my understanding they made a similar ruling at Gencon mini-tournaments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FortuneFavorTheBold wrote:
Awesome initiative you have here.

This sounds like a similar set up to what was done at Gencon. Might I suggest looking at removing the Romulan Science Vessel as one of the ships eligible to compete with? I love the ship, but it's not very balanced for the person running it. In a one-on-one engagement with others it's not very powerful. It's my understanding they made a similar ruling at Gencon mini-tournaments.
Thanks!!

Yes, I pulled the event structure straight from GenCon. I played in two different mini-tourneys at GC and had a blast in both of them. As such, this just seemed to fit really well with the amount of prizes I have as well as venue space.

Considering the players get to pick thier expansion (rather than random draw like at GenCon), I'm less fearful of the Apnex issue that did come about at GC. I will however let participants know that the Apnex may put them at a disadvantage in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Event Update!!

In an effort to make all expansions viable in the mini-tournaments for Star Trek Attack wing, the following house rules will be in effect for the duration of the events:

1. A resource may be added to the following ships: R.I.S. Apnex, I.R.W. Praetus, 5th Wing Patrol Ship, I.K.S. Gr'oth. The Fleet Build of each ship may still not exceed 40 points.

2. R.I.S. Apnex: There will be an additional Tech slot added to the upgrade bar.

3. Muon Wave: This upgrade is disabled rather than discarded the first time it is used.

4. Cloaked Mines: This upgrade is disabled rather than discarded the first time it is used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bat
United States
Dallas
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the limit on the $1 re-rolls? Unlimited Probs (re-rerolls) lead to some of the best stories from Clix for the Cause (cure?) in the past.

At any rate its nice to see your expanding the event to cover Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
batman15 wrote:
Why the limit on the $1 re-rolls? Unlimited Probs (re-rerolls) lead to some of the best stories from Clix for the Cause (cure?) in the past.

At any rate its nice to see your expanding the event to cover Attack Wing.
There's a few reasons actually.

Since this is the first time we've had an event of this type, I was really concerned about AW players getting frustrated about that one big roll deciding the game. Since it's one on one ship combat, I did not want a game to come down to who could spend the most on that deciding roll.

Also I had some reservation about changing one core rule of the game: rerolled dice cannot be rerolled again.

Obviously this is the first time we've seen AW at a charity event and it's viability will be inspected and changes made in the future to enhance the event so players will come to know the fun this event can generate as much as Heroclix players have come to suspect from the history of the event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls