Subject: Permanently Parked Lambdas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jesse L
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I'm sure many of you have already realized this, but I'm posting this for those that haven't (and because I think it's kind of funny)

If you have 2 Lambdas you can park them both indefinitely. All you need is Yorr and any other pilot (for this example I will use the omicron group pilot).

Once the 2 ships move so that Yorr is directly behind the OGP, have the OGP do a 0 move and give the stress to Yorr. Have Yorr do a 1 forward and shed the stress, but crash and thereby not move. You can keep doing this ad infinitum and never move.

You may even be able to have them side-by side and do 1-bank moves into eachother to not move, I'd have to actually see if that would work.

Not saying it's a good strategy by any means, but might catch your opponent off guard (especially if they have HLCs).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
stick an ion cannon on one of them, and the moment you trap a target, it is pretty much dead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You don't need Yorr. In fact, you don't need Lambdas. It's possible to remain stationary with any two large-base ships - and even some small-base ships (that have 1-straights). But in general, I wouldn't recommend this without a turret.

A "broken" strategy invented for double-Falcons, known as "the fortress", was to have two large-base ships each do 1-straight maneuvers towards each other. They keep overlapping and not going anywhere. If one is Lando, he gives an action to the other. Make that one Han Solo and the "squad" does some reasonable damage while your opponents fly around you, probably unable to keep you in their arcs 100% of the time (or at least losing actions occasionally) since they have to keep turning around and/or K-turning. This is especially effective if you can set it up in a corner, preventing your opponents from passing your "fortress."

This can be accomplished with two small ships that have 1-straight maneuvers if they aren't quite parallel or perpendicular and keep moving towards each other... but it probably isn't a good idea without turrets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firstname Lastname
Singapore
flag msg tools
iNano78 wrote:
You don't need Yorr. In fact, you don't need Lambdas. It's possible to remain stationary with any two large-base ships - and even some small-base ships (that have 1-straights). But in general, I wouldn't recommend this without a turret.

A "broken" strategy invented for double-Falcons, known as "the fortress", was to have two large-base ships each do 1-straight maneuvers towards each other. They keep overlapping and not going anywhere. If one is Lando, he gives an action to the other. Make that one Han Solo and the "squad" does some reasonable damage while your opponents fly around you, probably unable to keep you in their arcs 100% of the time (or at least losing actions occasionally) since they have to keep turning around and/or K-turning. This is especially effective if you can set it up in a corner, preventing your opponents from passing your "fortress."

This can be accomplished with two small ships that have 1-straight maneuvers if they aren't quite parallel or perpendicular and keep moving towards each other... but it probably isn't a good idea without turrets.
for the shuttles you will need Yorr. You have to face forward (or whatever direction you want to be pointed at), and you will be unable to stay in the same spot for extended periods of time otherwise. Yes, you can use an academy pilot to help your shuttle stay in position, but how long can the academy pilot stay on the same spot, especially if your opponent decides to shoot at it? Also, you can now have access to actions with the use of Yorr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a Lambda so I don't know their special rules. But am I missing something? If ships are touching they can't fire. So why would you want to do this, other then because you can?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Duraham wrote:
iNano78 wrote:

for the shuttles you will need Yorr. You have to face forward (or whatever direction you want to be pointed at), and you will be unable to stay in the same spot for extended periods of time otherwise. Yes, you can use an academy pilot to help your shuttle stay in position, but how long can the academy pilot stay on the same spot, especially if your opponent decides to shoot at it? Also, you can now have access to actions with the use of Yorr.
Start two Shuttles (or any other large-base ship) side-by-side, parallel, in contact. Set movement for 1-bank towards the other (e.g. right for the left-most shuttle; left for the right-most shuttle). Can they move? (the second one obviously can't, but can the first?)
*edit* Just checked and it can. Never mind. Only works if you don't mind them facing opposite (or nearly opposite) directions, unless you use Yorr to clear the stress from doing a "0", as the OP suggested.

I know they can't move if you select a 1-turn, but of the large-based ships, only the Falcon has that maneuver. Not sure about 1-bank.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kryyst wrote:
I don't have a Lambda so I don't know their special rules. But am I missing something? If ships are touching they can't fire. So why would you want to do this, other then because you can?
Ships can fire if they're touching. They just can't fire on the ship that they're in contact with (unless the pilot is Arvel Crynyd).

E.g. Ship "A" is in contact with ship "B". Ship "A" cannot fire on ship "B", and vice versa. However, nothing prevents ship "A" from firing on ship "C", assuming ship "C" is in range and arc (e.g. normal conditions for targeting are satisfied).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can take four lambdas (including Yorr), start them at the edge of the game mat, and never have to move any of them. The question is, is this a viable strategy, suicide, or somewhere in between? I don't have that answer as I have not yet tested it, but I have my doubts - it is hard to pull off without having at least one blind spot an opponent could exploit.

My sense is it would be more fun to watch than to play.

EDIT: Here's a picture of what I mean (the empty base was before I had my fourth shuttle).

In this example, the squad is:

Omicron + Advanced Sensors x 3 (72)
Captain Yorr (24)

Add four more points of flavor as desired (maybe ion cannon as previously mentioned).

Omicron 1 (far left) takes an action w/ Adv. Sensors, moves 1 forward, bumps. Omicron 2 (second from left) takes an action, moves 0, stresses. Omicron 3 (far right) takes an action, bumps. Captain Yorr (third from the left) eats the stress from Omicron 2, moves 1 to clear the stress, bumps.

You can keep this up in perpetuity. There's a bit of a blind spot on the right side, but otherwise the angles permit shots with multiple shuttles in most directions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here we go.

"Heavy Laser Cannon Fortress" featuring Yorr and 2 Omicron Group Pilots with an Academy TIE.

The Academy TIE moves as indicated to collide with and block the first Omicron Group Pilot (left), which attempts a 1-straight. The second Omicron Group Pilot (far right) performs a "0" maneuver, and Yorr (middle) absorbs the stress. Yorr himself attempts a green 1-bank left, clearing the stress, but not moving due to collision with the first Omicron Pilot.

On future turns, the Academy attempts a turn towards the Omicron it's in contact with, not moving, and starting the chain over again.

Rinse. Repeat.

*edit* Just saw your edit. Hadn't thought about Advanced Sensors to allow actions. That's similar to an unmodified HLC, and you get an extra firing arc in there. Let me think about that.

By the way, I'm not sure I see how your 4-ship version never moves. If only one can take a "0" each turn (since Yorr can only clear 1 stress per turn), it looks like another one might actually move a little when trying to do a 1-straight or 1-bank... unless I'm mistaken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be hard to tell in the picture on that one on the right because of angles, but it is angled just right so it doesn't move. The only one that clears is the second one from the left, which is the one that moves 0.

With 16 points of upgrades available on the four shuttle squad w/Yorr, the other way that you could go is two Ion Cannons and two Autoblasters (to snare them in and then blow them up), but I am not sure that's as effective. Of course, I'm not sure any of this is particularly effective. Interesting theorycraft for sure though!

EDIT: I am wrong. Only 13 upgrade points available with three Omicrons + Yorr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more time. 4x Omicron Group Pilots; no need for Yorr.

The one with the red firing arc is equipped with a Heavy Laser Cannon and Advanced Sensors. The one with the orange firing arc is equipped with Advanced Sensors. The other two are naked.

From left to right, they try to execute (1) 1-bank right, (2) 1-straight, (3) 1-bank right, (4) 1-straight. None move.

The HLC + AdvSensors discourages attacks from the side with only 1 arc... but it is only 1 shot, so probably the best way to approach. The other sides have less dice/modifiers per shot, but more overlap = more shots.

*edit* There are 3 points left over. Consider putting Advanced Sensors on one of the blue arcs, or maybe consider ST-321 or Darth Vader on the HLC ship to really discourage that direction. Or consider putting a Rebel Captive on the ship furthest to the left...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
One more time. 4x Omicron Group Pilots; no need for Yorr.

The one with the red firing arc is equipped with a Heavy Laser Cannon and Advanced Sensors. The one with the orange firing arc is equipped with Advanced Sensors. The other two are naked.

From left to right, they try to execute (1) 1-bank right, (2) 1-straight, (3) 1-bank right, (4) 1-straight. None move.

The HLC + AdvSensors discourages attacks from the side with only 1 arc... but it is only 1 shot, so probably the best way to approach. The other sides have less dice/modifiers per shot, but more overlap = more shots.

*edit* There are 3 points left over. Consider putting Advanced Sensors on one of the blue arcs, or maybe consider ST-321 or Darth Vader on the HLC ship to really discourage that direction. Or consider putting a Rebel Captive on the ship furthest to the left...
Now I'm trying to think of which one I try to kill first to knock them out of formation. Probably the red arc since it's the most powerful ship, worth the most points in a tournament, and would free up the far left ship to have to move. Hoping the whole time to lose less points of ships than I take out before escaping from Space Station Lambda.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IainHamp wrote:
Now I'm trying to think of which one I try to kill first to knock them out of formation. Probably the red arc since it's the most powerful ship, worth the most points in a tournament, and would free up the far left ship to have to move. Hoping the whole time to lose less points of ships than I take out before escaping from Space Station Lambda.
Agreed. Maybe it should be the one with the Rebel Captive. Shoot it, get stressed, and have fun flying through the mine field.

Now, if you have enough PS3+ ships (Howlrunner + Obsidian Swarm?), you could take out the HLC ship before it fires, but then you have to turn your ships hard to avoid catching the other firing arcs. End up inside all 3 remaining firing arcs and you're toast!

Notice that you don't even want to intentionally crash into the left-most ship (to fire on the ship with the red arc) because you'll be inside the two scariest firing arcs. Kind of a no-win situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another version:

I like how this one closes the front door, but don't like that it leaves the back door open to attack. There might be a way to tweak it to make that rear ship less vulnerable (aside from giving it a Rebel Captive).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Dogg Rulzz
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Some people just have to much time on there hands to think stupid shit like this up and I personally wouldn't play the Jack-Ass who tried play it.....sorry, rant over
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tjbruehan wrote:
Some people just have to much time on there hands to think stupid shit like this up and I personally wouldn't play the Jack-Ass who tried play it.....sorry, rant over
Thank you for the reminder! http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1044101/the-fly-casual-campa...

EDIT: I'm in this to have fun. To me, thinking through scenarios like this is fun. It's okay with me that this doesn't seem like fun to you. It seems like we have a disagreement around whether it is okay for you to insult those who have a different idea of what makes this game enjoyable. *shrug*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B D
msg tools
If you knew your opponent was planning this, proton bombs would be an easy solution. Against stationary targets, placement with a K-turn wouldn't be difficult. And since the design puts everyone in close proximity, follow up with assault missiles (assuming the crits from the protons don't remove the abilities that are allowing the formation to stay stationary).

If you were playing against someone who tried this at a tournament, I suppose you could work to take out a high point target, then go back to your side of the field and hang out until the time is up for a modified win (again, assuming that taking out that ship doesn't remove the ability to stay stationary).

It's an interesting way of working within the rules, but I don't know that it's a reliable game winning strategy. And if somehow it did become successful/popular at tournaments, I'm sure we'd see a rule update/change come along.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Congosquid wrote:
If you knew your opponent was planning this, proton bombs would be an easy solution. Against stationary targets, placement with a K-turn wouldn't be difficult. And since the design puts everyone in close proximity, follow up with assault missiles (assuming the crits from the protons don't remove the abilities that are allowing the formation to stay stationary).

If you were playing against someone who tried this at a tournament, I suppose you could work to take out a high point target, then go back to your side of the field and hang out until the time is up for a modified win (again, assuming that taking out that ship doesn't remove the ability to stay stationary).

It's an interesting way of working within the rules, but I don't know that it's a reliable game winning strategy. And if somehow it did become successful/popular at tournaments, I'm sure we'd see a rule update/change come along.
Interesting solution! The k-turn bombs themselves probably wouldn't be enough, but they'd definitely soften things up (especially with the right crits - but then you still need to eat through the shields to finish the job somehow. And hope less points of your squad were lost in the 2-3 turns you're in Lambda firing arcs than the Lambda squad lost.

I think there are plenty of things that could successfully defeat this. I don't think it's a game breaker in any way. This game is too balanced and dice-dependent to put a ton of stock in this idea being a game-changer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lando
msg tools
Congosquid wrote:

I think the best counter to this would just be 4 x-wings coming in on their board edge and working towards their corner. Bihggs in the back, wedge in the front flanked by rookies. It could blow up one shuttle per turn with wedge at R1 and working their way over at speed 1. If you didn't blow up one, then the ones in the back would finish off that current one that was damaged the previous turn and biggs would probably die. This list wouldn't be that hard to kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain Hamp
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nimdabew wrote:

I think the best counter to this would just be 4 x-wings coming in on their board edge and working towards their corner. Bihggs in the back, wedge in the front flanked by rookies. It could blow up one shuttle per turn with wedge at R1 and working their way over at speed 1. If you didn't blow up one, then the ones in the back would finish off that current one that was damaged the previous turn and biggs would probably die. This list wouldn't be that hard to kill.
Yep. One agility ships are too easy to chew through, even with all those shields and all that hull. Anything that has a potent enough alpha strike to kill the main shuttle (w/HLC) before PS2 (or at least before it shoots twice) would probably take this down reasonably fast, at least enough for a win before time was called in a tourney. And there's no hurry to line up the perfect shot - your target isn't going anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Henderson
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IainHamp wrote:
My sense is it would be more fun to watch than to play.
My sense is it wouldn't be fun to either watch or play.

That kind of game has nothing to do with what first attracted me to Star Wars: X-Wing — recreating exciting, cinematic dogfights between fast, nimble starfighters.

Without any maneuvering whatsoever, I think you lose an essential element of what makes this a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iNano78 wrote:
kryyst wrote:
Ships can fire if they're touching. They just can't fire on the ship that they're in contact with (unless the pilot is Arvel Crynyd).

E.g. Ship "A" is in contact with ship "B". Ship "A" cannot fire on ship "B", and vice versa. However, nothing prevents ship "A" from firing on ship "C", assuming ship "C" is in range and arc (e.g. normal conditions for targeting are satisfied).
Ah crap we've been playing that wrong. What's crazy is all of us read our own rules and all interpreted it the same way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ion cannons would also disrupt the fortress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Love this crazy idea! It's so....... Dark Side

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Dunford
Canada
Kemptville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the record, I own 1 Lambda Shuttle and will not be trying this in even a casual match let alone competitive play. It's just "theory crafting": "Could it be done?"

Thamos von Nostria wrote:
Ion cannons would also disrupt the fortress.
You need 2 ion tokens to ionize a large-based ship. That would be hard with just one HWK-290 or Y-wing, since it might be destroyed before it can get a second ion token on its target. But if you an Ion Cannon (non-turret) on a Firespray (rare; I've only seen one in competition and he tied for last in an 8-man tournament) or had two Ion Cannons (e.g. Chewbacca with 2x Ion-turret-carrying Y-wings), it might be possible. *edit* Also, it's possible to prevent ionizing from mattering by rotating the ships slightly so a 1-straight would also overlap. In the image below, imagine rotating the right-facing ships (blue arcs) by a few degrees clockwise:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |