King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: Is there a dominant strategy to this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Linh Nguyen
United States
California
flag msg tools
I was wondering if this game had a dominant strategy to win.
I hope not, because that would make the game super lame!

Anyways, I bought the game recently and have been playing with my girlfriend and her little brother and so far, the little brother
has been wrecking us 5-0. His strategy is just saving up energy
and buying cards that use energy to his advantage such a gaining one extra energy when rolling an energy, using two energy to reroll any dice, etc and use those cards to kill us.

I have been only attacking from Tokyo, accumulating no energies building points, trying to kill everyone right away or win by VP while my girlfriend builds up energy, victory points, and not attacking.

I am now under the impression that energy is required to kill
anyone because I am not able to do enough damage to stop them from doing whatever. I think that going for VP early on is not a good idea
since it gives other players an advantage, being able to buy equipments and what not. I also think using the two energy to swipe cards out is a good idea to wipe out cards that the little brother will want.

So, is building energy a dominant strategy or can everything be countered in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do not fight what you roll, go with what you roll.

The strategy changes from game to game. If someone is known to only go for energy, you should also get a few so you can sweep the board anytime there are too good cards to purchase. And you are correctly trying to wipe them out before they become too strong. Attacks/damage also helps to keep them from only rolling for energy, because they need health too, and you rack up points in Tokyo when they are not attacking you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Strategicon attendeeMicrobadge: Solitaire GamerMicrobadge: Picture of the Year - 1st placeMicrobadge: Owner of Too Many GamesMicrobadge: The Secret Cabal Gaming Podcast fan
We've won via kills, points, and just luck.

Usually in our games if you build up energy over a few turns, you'll get killed. If someone is doing this you both need to attack on every turn. When they get low on health, they won't care about energy.

Also as listed before go with your rolls. I if your getting points go with it. Damage... same thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B.
United States
Groton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My strategy usually changes based on the number of players. In big groups I have had better luck focusing on rolling victory points. In a large game if you end up in Tokyo you will probably take a lot of damage before it gets back around to you so it really isn't worth it to focus on attacking. In smaller games being aggressive and attacking often seems to work.
As for energy, if good cards come out it can be worth it. Mostly I use my energy to wipe defensively than to actually buy anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris G
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The strategy changes based on the number of players and at what point you are in the game. But also the dice can change your outcome. You can go for points and not roll them through fate, luck whatever you call it. Fighting the dice will fail you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gamer D

Monroeville
Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to mention what cards you get and other players get can dramatically change what you do. For instance, if you have a pair of 1s, it may not be worth keeping them to try for three 1s since one point might not be worth as much as one or two attack or energy. But if you have a card that does something special with 1s, such as giving you 2 extra victory points with three 1s, then it's probably worth keeping the pair. Likewise you might normally save your energy for more powerful cards, but if you pick up something like Rapid Healing that lets you spend 2 energy to heal one life then it might be worth doing that instead of buying cards.

So I agree with people above, go with what you roll but when you have a choice go with what fits the cards and situation in play. (Vague advice but oh well.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have seen several strategies win.

Generally energy is the most popular thing to roll because upgrading your monster with cards is fun. That is personally my favorite part of the game. But this does not make it the best strategy.

I have seen someone win who did nothing but try and roll attack to damage people. They only used their energy to sweep the cards away. Do not underestimate sweeping. There are some great cards in the game that really give your opponents an advantage if they can get their claws on them.

And the victory point winners have come out on top too.

So in short, there are many paths to victory. It all depends on the cards available, and how the dice land.

The expansion helps add further depth and enhances the strategies. If you do not have it, I recommend getting it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jamuki (Jueguetistorias)
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MajaiofDreams wrote:
We have seen several strategies win.
Do not underestimate sweeping. There are some great cards in the game that really give your opponents an advantage if they can get their claws on them.
Hear! Hear! This is really sound advice, and one of the keys for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls