Subject: To adsense or not to adsense rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: Pericles: The Peloponnesian Wars - AthensMicrobadge: Kingdom of Heaven: The Crusader States 1097-1291 AD fanMicrobadge: For the People fanMicrobadge: I read the Babylon Bee!Microbadge: South Carolina
A few weeks ago, I was sick of the Wartunes ad in the corner of BGG, so I tried clicking on the x and got language to the effect of, "We're sorry we will try to give you more relevant ads in the future." It worked for awhile.

Now I don't get an x anymore and the Wartunes ad is back. If I click on the adsense it tells me I have to sign up for an account. Is that a recent development or is it possible that I just wiped it when I did a cache/history clear? I don't think I ever signed up for Adsense before. If I do, is there any fresh Hell I'm inviting myself into? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shumyum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
♒♒♒♒♎♒♒♒♒ sloooowly sinking
Didn't know about the "X" but the W*rtunes ad came up (when I opened this post!) and sure enough there was an "X" for me that "muted" the ad. I've never signed up, I'm sure of it. We'll see how long it stays "muted".

Other non-offensive ads I see have "adchoices" arrows, but no "X"

Edit: now that I'm paying attention, I see that sometimes an ad has an "X" and sometimes it doesn't. Don't see any particular pattern.

I know this doesn't help you...just a data point.

I actually like having ads here...about a third of the time they are relevant to my interests. But I agree that the W*rtune ad is way over the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
Microbadge: Scotch drinkerMicrobadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: My drinks don't just taste good, they look good doing it.Microbadge: Cocktail fanMicrobadge: Whiskey drinker
I use the BGG adblock (I figure my interests are already well covered by the front page streams / session reports / hotness / etc), so I don't see 'em at all.

I personally would be uncomfortable signing up with a company who's main job is to send you ads. Yes, you will likely be able to pick "more relevant" ads. But, too close to clicking "unsubscribe" on Spam emails - all it really does is give them a better, more direct avenue to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls